Review: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD's pricing is correct. 1st 2700X is stronger as a whole than 8700k.
    Then It is simply cheaper on MSRP and on actual shops in most of the world.

If I googled correctly Taiwan has just mere 5% VAT, so 2700X with VAT should be 10,191nt (329USD * 29.5 * 1.05). And 8700K should be 11,119.5nt (359USD * 29.5 * 1.05).
    So it is not like AMD priced badly, it is like shops there are exploiting release.

tensai28 and chispy like this.
  2. Cooe

Cooe Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury X 4GB
    Different game selection, and I was referring to overall results not specifically gaming (esp. seeing how he only tested 2 games). Look at Kevin's Cinebench scores for example. His 8700K went from nearly 200cb to like 166cb. Both TechRadar & AnandTech have Intel taking massive performance hits post Meltdown patch, whereas that doesn't seem to be the case for others. That's what I was referring too, not to the gaming performance in particular being the same. (Not that it wouldn't surprise me to see that, had Kevin tested more games, but we'll never know I suppose).

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Decent improvement over the previous Ryzen CPUs and the value proposition is insane! Kudos to AMD, they really deserve them.

Personally i still favor Intel CPUs because they have (small) edge in gaming and because the higher clocks they can reach but i really wouldn´t mind getting an AMD CPU right now, specially with those crazy prices!

Great review as always Hilbert.

Koniakki likes this.
  4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    PHENOMENAL!!!! This is a great update for Ryzen. It still has a few issues in gaming but overall a great improvement. Can't wait to see Zen2 completely erase the gap in gaming and widen the lead in production work loads. Go AMD go!

Too bad the GPU division is in such disarray.

chispy, Maddness and airbud7 like this.

5. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    Pretty impressive but personally I will still go with the i7 8700k for my next upgrade upgrade. If the 8700k were only a (4) cores then I would definitely jump on the AMD bandwagon for the 2700X.

sverek likes this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I think the only reason to hold back from buying a Zen+ now is what Intel might do next. I've been thinking about this today, about everyone upgrading to say a 2700x now. If intel release a 8/16 cpu with better IPC and will be able to clock higher, for say £50 more, I'm sure some would regret buying a 2700x now. This is why I'm waiting to see what Zen2 brings and how Intel react because I honestly think Zen2 will have to bring something even better because Intel will react.

Because there is no chance Intel will sit there and take one up the bum from AMD, I just don't see it happen.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    same could be said about when Intel releases and you buy that, what about Zen2 and if you then regret buying the intel processor?

Intel, to my knowledge, probably won't release new product until fall, and even if that's not the case, the reality is, if you're always worried about what might be released in the future, you'll never buy anything.

As to intel having "no chance" if just sitting there....they barely moved, but thankfully did move, when Ryzen was released. They were still overpriced, and still don't have 8-cores in mainstream. I don't expect them to really do anything different this year, because they feel they don't have to. If they do release an 8-core next generation(or this generation) into the regular non-HEDT socket, i don't expect it'll be below $450.

Loophole35 and chispy like this.
  8. Madudzik

Madudzik Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8 GB
    Hi Hilbert, where you get them prices from? I am based in UK and the cheapest one is for 283£ which is actually nearly 400$:-(

9. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    What upsets me is that I can't find any reviews on the Non "X" chips. Well I found one tiny review on the 2600 (non X) vs a 1600x and they are dead even in performance. Need more reviews tho. Lets see the Non x versions reviews soon!!

I have noticed from reviews that there is pretty much no difference in performance between the x370 vs the x470 boards. I'd like to see some reviews on the x470 vs ab350 boards. Looks like the 2000 series chips should performance the same on those too. Might get better memory support on the x470 boards? Altho some reviews are hitting the same memory speeds on all the boards......Need more reviews!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    https://s31.**********/8593orn97/Ryzen.jpg

chispy and Killian38 like this.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm still running an Asus Rampage V10 motherboard and 6900k. But if I was looking at building a new PC now, then a 2700k and 470 motherboard is what I would buy. Really, really impressed with how AMD have stepped up to the plate with RyZen and Threadripper.

12. Madudzik

Madudzik Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8 GB
    Wow I didn't know we have dollars in UK... Ok so the price is 330$ for Americans, the rest of the world can buy it there and pay 50$ customs charge... I understand you all guys but I don't care about manufacturer or some far away country price... I care about how much from my wallet I have to spend on this beauty... Looks like we all ripped off outside USA... In Europe Ryzen 2 doesn't look so competitive any more...

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    It's on page 1

"Ryzen 7 2700X (8c/16t) priced at 329 USD"

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    It doesn't work like that. Converting GBP to euro or GBP to dollars for price comparison vs the US msrp pricing/market is wrong. Basically you cannot compare US prices with the European market with rare exceptions here and there.

Usually(not always) something that is e.g $400 will be around €400 in europe with the equivalent in GBP according to the exchange/currency rates.

Converting the euro price to GBP is a more "correct" way to do it. And the £283-288 prices I found look correct I would say.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    That very well could be. Guess I'll have to wait and see if pricing changes. Regardless as of now, there isn't any real compelling reason for me to go for either one as they both seem to cost the same.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Would you like him to make a special article just for you? Not everyone lives in the same country but a majority of the members are from the US so I suppose that's why he chose that currency. It's common sense to just search it on your own at local retailers if you are outside the US.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Blame your country/local sellers.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That looked like clean sarcasm on sverek's side. :D Maybe lost in translation?

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Converted that's 203 pounds. You do need to actually look for proper prices, of course, some companies will try and rip a hole in your wallet at launch time.

Untitled-1.png

airbud7 likes this.
  20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Thing is, you might keep your CPU for 5 years, so waiting a few months or longer to make the best CPU decision is worth it I think.