[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS4 - Build 17134 RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 31, 2018.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Can you guys with 17134.1 change default app settings in settings w/o it crashing.
    I saw a report saying SCU might be delayed even further.

2. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah, I've just tested and got this glitch too, but lucky I already have apps set to default properly from RS3 > RS4 upgrade

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  4. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    so looks 17134 not a final rtm build too... still bugged

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    going by the 17134 reddit post, msft weren't aware of the set defaults crashes or the vt-d hang.....

lucidus and RzrTrek like this.
  6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Would you mind sharing your source?

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I only experienced this with a newly created standard account, but promoting it to administrator, setting them and then going bac kto standard makes it work.

set defaults per app is busted though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...ndows_10_insider_preview_build_17134/dxid00n/

i tested the set defaults work around in one of the 2 feedbacks and it worked for the standard account i created for my family to use and not screw up the machine.

Upgrade installs from 7 or 8 appear fine for the primary admin account, but even that is broken on a clean install going by feedback hub posts.

RzrTrek likes this.
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, maybe they can patch that post-release, or there will be another full build.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    That was very informative, thank you, let's hope they fix it.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I just tested it and it worked fine for me. Seems only some people are affected. The only weird thing that I've noticed so far, is that the Witcher 3 stuttering is back with a vengeance. I thought they squashed that bug with the fall Creators update last year, but it now appears to be back. It has something to do with the way the game handles shader compilations, and how it accesses the shaders. This is the only game that I've noticed this problem on so far.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    POS settings crashing eh? Restore the old and one call it a day, at least it let you browse your own PC to set a default program!

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Clean install latest 1709 for me (again), and im just gonna wait for the official RS4 Release through windows update....:)

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean, 1709 wasn't exactly stable in its RTM form either. Didn't stop them back then.

They should drop this BS of bi-annual updates in favor of providing new versions when there are actual valuable new features added and the new version is tested enough to be released, not because they have some date approaching.

LocoDiceGR, JonasBeckman and lucidus like this.
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I preferred the yearly builds, offered more significant features and allowed for a longer insider testing from fast, slow and finally release preview branches.

These bi-annual updates probably sound good on paper with more updates and a constant stream of features but having to do what is essentially two OS upgrades per year for the end users unless they go with the long-term service branch option and then all the testing and quick turnaround for updates well it feels like the last few builds have been a bit rough although they do fix a pretty hefty amount of issues during the last few build releases too but a few things slip through and it can take a few months for the cumulative updates to address these.

Or it requires the next major build such as the problems with RS3 and a few game related problems, so far 17133.x and 17134.1 haven't been problematic but I wonder what the final build will land at though hopefully 17134.1 with a cumulative update can make it through testing and see a release although the current reported issues even if I haven't had any issues with them myself might see a third build before they deem it final.

I also [bleep] dislike the settings not fully carrying over either and the OS resetting services and policies or removing access by changing it to Enterprise and such stuff, I've had plenty of time though since Win10 released and more settings do sync or carry over but there's new restrictions with each build too but I'm getting better at handling it at least.
    (Just waiting on Touch Input Services to be deemed system component and locked down, I do not need CTFMon.exe as a spawned process running and I do not have a table or touch device so stay dead or at least disabled ha ha.)

(Hello to fast boot, hibernation and system restore occasionally coming back to life too, fast boot and hibernation are off for compatibility and because I have no need for them and backups I'll handle on my own though it's at least smart about when to run so that's good.)

lucidus likes this.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Windows automatically re-enables system restore periodically if it's been disabled due to system maintenance. The only permanent way to disable it is to use the gpedit.msc function and turn it off via admin.

I also have hibernation (fast boot requires hibernation to be on to work) disabled using the elevated admin privileges "powercfg -h off" and it never re-enabled itself.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That would explain why, it's off via policy since that was the most reliable way but VSSC is periodically called (Such as during driver updates.) and that's probably why it can end up with system restore reported as being on even though it's technically disabled.

For hibernation RS3 enabled fast boot on it's own upon upgrading to that build but it was easy to disable, hibernation itself seems to pop back to enabled during each build upgrade (Presence of hiberfile.sys confirming it.) and yeah powerconfig and just disabling this via that particular flag tends to hold from then until the next build upgrade at least. :)

It's minor stuff all in all I suppose. Easy to get hung up on though.
    Well here's hoping the RS4 launch isn't too far off now and that it goes smoothly. I guess 17133.73 already blew it but at least the blocker issue was detected just before the build went live though 17134.1 probably has to make the same fast, slow and release preview cycle and perhaps a cumulative update for any last remaining issues if they're not too problematic requiring another build as the final RS4 release candidate. :)

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    good riddance..

Wish I''ve waited longer, but at least its ok in everything I do and smoother/faster so that's fine.

19. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    No crashes here, just tried it.

20. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    If 17134.1 isn't RTM, i'll be gladly waiting for the right build, just redo everything that i've already done, not a problem.