AMD press-release on Board Partner Rebranding

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today, ASUS announced its AREZ-branded AMD Radeon RX graphics cards and over the coming weeks, you can expect to see more add-in board partners launch new brands carrying the AMD Radeon name....

AMD press-release on Board Partner Rebranding

cowie likes this.
  2. marian4q

marian4q Member

GPU:
    Radeon XFX RX 480
    AMEN!

Raider0001 likes this.
  3. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    It's good to have choice.

My choice is not to do business with companies who bent over to GPP.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's well and good and all, but say you want a 1080ti and there's only a stock reference design and an Asus ROG overclocked 1080ti and for some reason the Asus 1080ti is like $50 cheaper than the reference design...Would you still pick the stock reference board?

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    If you want an Nvidia card, there's no real point on avoiding GPP is it?

6. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    While i understand your point, he did talk about companies who bent to gpp, not nvidia itself, so well...

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I've always associated AMD with openness and inclusivity, and Nvidia with the opposite (OpenCL and FreeSync vs CUDA and GSync). Their statement only reinforces this narrative, and is a good (and mature) response to the GPP. Really hoping to get my hands on a Vega 64 when prices finally come down.

There are exclusive brands, like EVGA. Personally, this is the brand that I've always opted with for my Nvidia cards and it looks like it'll remain this way for the foreseeable future. I've also decided to go with Sapphire for my AMD cards in the future (used to be MSI).

Silva and Fox2232 like this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Nvidia doesn't care about any of those values, but Nvidia is the company that has so much money flowing in that it can't come up with enough ways to spend it all, while AMD is struggling to stay alive. Clearly those AMD values aren't of much interest to the customers voting with their wallets. In fact it's possible AMD has been hurting itself with those values. For example AMD invested some of its scarce money to develop the HBM, but it was more or less a failure for its own products because Nvidia's competing products using old GDDR sold much better (and weren't delayd). However, Nvidia then took that HBM and used it to further conquer the super expensive, extremely high profit server/AI field.

Lofty values are nice and good, but they won't fill anybody's stomach.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    1. If you have an IP which is highly competitive - you protect it, and you sell it <- closed technology, proprietary model

2. If your IP is meh or it can't be sold, you open it and you go for market share which in turn gives you more influence. <- open, free

Everything else is bs, no one is giving you for free something which he could have sold you.
    Case in point CUDA. Stamps the competition - it gets sold. Good business.

Completely opposite case is Gsync. Because it goes against the rules I've just established up there :p
    i.e. it not does not have enough differentiation and added value compared to FreeSync, and that's why its getting stomped by FS. Not good business; stubbornness or vanity, do not know which.

Halfway case is Mantle. AMD tried via proprietary model, it was a tough sell, lots of hard work, not enough gains.
    They opened it up, gave it to Vulkan and now they are reaping the benefits of having more control/influence, while someone else is carrying the torch and doing the hard work.

TL;DR
    No serious company, AMD included, is favoring openness because they just love to give you sh1t for free. If particular IP has been given to public free-of-charge, it's because it's the most sensible thing to do business wise.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    linux and all those tools.

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    SMMH!
    AMD GPU=no one cares!!!!

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I was thinking about GNU Linux when writing that. GNU Linux is awesome. There are GNU Linux distributions and tools which are not free, but mostly that's not the case.

Yet it commands, what... 1.5% of desktop. 0.2% of notebooks.
    There are other specific ares where Linux is doing much-much better: HPC, embedded, web servers etc. Put it behind the pay-wall, and see how it goes.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry you care about words on a product rather then the products themselves.

14. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

They posted a video on youtube also: youtu.be/OAclArZrU1E

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While that's correct, you can find open-source software for almost anything. Including business applications.
    In features/quality commercial products are more often better than not.

But magic of running company with everything free. From SMTP over design/productivity tools to Apache OpenMeetings.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Amds problem is that they just can't compete at the same level as their competition. Freesync doesn't work as well as gsync on blind tests.(and putting it in TVs and consoles is just further excuse for more poorly optimized games. Not that not having it has ever stopped that from happening.)
    CPUs are still behind in single threaded ipc performance, which makes the biggest difference in the majority of games along with maintaining high framerates. Their OpenGL/dx11 drivers are not good enough to take the most advantage of the hardware they make.(it's well documented that issues in of cause them to fall behind in emulators that make use of it. Which is the backend of choice often).

And the most important thing to me is they have essentially no decent built in AA support in the driver's and afik VSR is not as flexible as DSR.(if there is a way you can get VSR to use custom resolutions let me know). Forcing AA is limited to dx9 and older OpenGL but that covers hundreds of games. And that is enough for me .

The last thing is the most important reason why I stick with Nvidia. I have been holding out on a new CPU in hopes AMD will be able to catch up in single threaded performance. Ryzen 2 looks close but we will see.

17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Im sure there is a tide pod for you.

Keitosha likes this.
  18. Brutalix

Brutalix Guest

GPU:
    1070 Nvidia
    Though i am proud owner of a 1070, I will have to correct you on that statement, all the proper blind tests, have shown no difference in prefered taste between Gsync and Freesync 2.
    Since Freesync2 monitors are 200 bucks cheaper, I would like Nvidia to support this free standard as well as the Gsync one. It would also be nice for when using a nvidia in a mediacenter. Intel supports/or are going to support freesync in their drivers which together with HDR support would be very nice.

Kind regards
    B.

Maddness, Herem and BReal85 like this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What blind tests? G-Sync has lower latency at low fps, Freesync at higher fps. Effect of both on tearing is exactly same today.

BReal85 likes this.
  20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I find it funny the company that ran an entire ad campaign based on the communist party harping on "freedom to choose".

Maddness and Solfaur like this.