Nokia 7 plus

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by pimpernell, Apr 3, 2018.

1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Anyone have one of these?
    https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-7-plus

I pre-ordered one and it should be here in a few weeks.
    It should be out already in Asia.

I had a motorola g5+ for the last year. It is good for it's price, but are to slow to get updates and i want a better camera and cpu.
    And the android one program ls very temping.

I can still cancel my order in case something better comes along with a good price to performance. I think the pixel2 is overpriced and pixel1 got the bluetooth problem.
    And i despise Samsung's knox.

Keitosha likes this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am waiting for Nokia 6 2018 to be available, glad to hear that you went for the Nokia 7. Owners of the new Nokia just swear by it.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That Nokia 7 is very nice looking....

Good luck with Android One..... My Moto X4 "Android One Edition" is still on Android 8.0... My Nexus 6P and 5X are on 8.1 and have been since January... The only real advantage I've seen to Android One, is the "closer to stock" Android...

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    not bad for the price, im still using a samsung note 4 with oreo 8.1 cant fault it.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    HMD Nokia is quick with the updates.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Motorola used to be good with updates as well.... Now they appear to be on par with Samsung....

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I will get the Nokia 7 plus in only one condition. That is has stereo speakers! I cannot stand a $hitty mono speaker.

Aside from this, the phone is fantastic in every way.

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Got this phone today, but some things bother me. The device updated to 8.1 right away. I'm using a 256GB microSD from my previous S7E, formatted it, but I can't format it to internal storage. Whatever I try, it's not possible. My GF's Nokia 6 with 8.1 does that just fine.

I also tried a 32GB SD card, no avail. I formatted it to portable storage, but I can't seem to move any app to SD. Saving pics and vids to SD storage is working correctly. BTW, my N7+ formats SD's to FAT32 (lol) compared to exFAT what the S7E does. So much for long 4K vids.

Would this be the same on the Xiaomi Mi A1 (also Android One)? That phone also has a microSD slot.

I guess it's because of Android One. External storage is an enigma to Google.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Mine is still in the mail.
    But it do work ok as external storage? I use it for offline music and photos for the most of the time. Got a 64gb Samsung evo card

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    It does work, only for saving pics and media. Not transferring apps. Formatting as internal storage is not possible, while my GF's Nokia 6 with 8.1 can. There is no way to move apps from internal -> external. Might be a bug. I hope so.

11. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Just got my new phone.
    It is updating right away to 8.1

https://ibb.co/kNnT2S

Size comparison to a old s3

Keitosha likes this.
  12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I really like my N7+. Although it has some 8.1 related bugs, like BT disconnects. It randomly disconnects my fitness tracker (never had that problem with my S7e) and Garmin nav/car.

This problem seems to be with every Android 8.1 device, look for it on the Pixel/Nexus forums. Not the first time Google screws up in the BT department.

A temporary solution is enabling developers options and set Bluetooth AVRCP to 1.3 (1.4 being default). It makes things a bit more stable, but not completely error free.

I spoke with some Nokia chatguy about the external storage shortcomings and the response basically was that 64GB ought to be enough for everyone and that it was the devs choice to disable it.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000022293

https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000022239

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    pimpernell likes this.
  13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You can thank Google for selling Motorola to Lenovo. Lenovo is not good with updates unfortunately, actually that goes for many Chinese manufacturers.

I wish that the Nokia 7 Plus had Canadian/American LTE bands but it's missing band 4, 20, 25-30 and optionally band 66. Luckily in Canada, most LTE networks use band 4 so that's a bit easier but it's still missing that band. It's a great phone, if it did have band 4, I would have gotten it.

Keitosha likes this.
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Welcome back tux!!!

15. raschmidt87

raschmidt87 Guest

GPU:
    MX150
    I upgraded to the 7P from a Nokia 6 (2017) and also bought some new Xiaomi bluetooth headphones. I was worried the phone or headphones had a Bluetooth connection issue but good to know that it's the 8.1. Hope they get it fixed soon.

The camera on the 7P also isn't as good as I hoped. I also wish Nokia would bring back a dedicated camera button...

Keitosha likes this.

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I hope Google will fix the BT problems. It seems related to 8.1 since the Pixels and all other Nokia phones with 8.1 suffer from it. My GF's N6 (the older model) also has BT disconnects. Now my BT headset keeps randomly disconnecting. Remembering from my Galaxy Nexus days, Google always has problems regarding BT or screws something up. The downside of having new software first, DOH!

Another major flaw is external storage being formatted in FAT32, rendering large cards and 4K recording useless. Tried recording 4K, but it just gets cut off around 13mins because of the 4GB file cap. FAT32 really? My old Note 3 formats crap in exFAT and that's from 2013.

The phone itself is a beast! The battery is one of the best I've ever seen. Running for 2 days now and 36% left to spare. The sound quality is sublime. Offers clear sounds and rich basses. Even better than my S7e. I miss wireless charging though, but the phone looks and feels sturdy, unlike the fragile glass the S7e has.

The software is very clean. Almost no apps are installed and almost all can be uninstalled. The only Nokia branded app is their support app. A nice addition is the battery level of BT devices.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I was close to buying the Nokia 7 Plus, however, after using the device in a store as well as reading a review, I changed my mind.

Yes, it is a mid range product but considering the screen and camera was not great, the price is too high.

There are other options such as Xiaomi and Huawei costing less yet having similar performance. Shame really.

I was expecting a better camera and screen but it's average at best.

Otherwise it does look nice and is well made.

18. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Keitosha likes this.
  19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Do you use an SD card? If so, is it formatted to FAT32 and can you format it into internal storage? Can you move apps to SD card (move button is missing in 8.1)?

20. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Sadly there is even less support for sd card now. Can't even store my offline playlists in tidal on sd :( (presume this is because the beta was primary made for the pixels, hopefully the next build will be better) . And no, there is no move button for apps or anything that make use of the sd. But you can format the card and the phone do read it.
    But now i can use all my bluetooth equipment without trouble , so i am sticking with the beta for now . (garmin vivosmart hr, kenwood 7000 dab and akg y45bt)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Keitosha likes this.