Review: Be quiet! Dark Rock 4 and PRO 4 CPU Coolers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 and PRO 4 reviews

We have Two new reviews ready today, be Quiet! launches the Dark Rock 4 and Dark Rock PRO 4 .

be quiet! Dark Rock 4
    We test and review the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler. Armed with totally black looks and a very silent fan, the new Dark Rock 4 might be able to impress you. It offers 200 Watts of cooling power, enough for most processors and a bit of overclocking, it, however, remains ridiculously silent.

Read article

be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4

We review another be quiet! Dark Rock series cooler, this round the PRO 4. Again with totally black looks the flagship cooler comes with two radiators, two fans and takes up that cooling performance towards 200 Watts of cooling power, enough for any processor and some tweaking of course as well.

Read article

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    "Got the Looks!" Certified!

3. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I personally think it's hideous.

4. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    I wonder how it performs compared to Noctua NH-U12S and 14S.

In terms of cooling performance it's on par with the NH-U9S, which only has a 95mm fan, thus being louder.
    Since the NH-U14S has a similarly sized fan (135mm vs 140mm) that would be the best comparison to do.

5. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Looks like it wouldn't allow for those dimms to used in dimm slot 1 if you put the fan on the correct side. Sorry but I wont consider any tower cooler as good if it blocks wholly or partially dimm slot 1 surely it can't be that hard to design it so that with a fan on the front it doesn't block any dimm slot, it's easy to do either move the fin stack higher (like in the Tuniq Tower/Tower II) or back further by angling the heat pipes so that theres atleast 124mm between the fin stack an dimm slot 1 I don't know why HSF makers can't seem to get that through their thick heads

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Not bad at all performance wise, just a few degrees off the NH-D15 as the article says - it's good that they've differentiated themselves from the NH-D15 by painting it black, it's a selling point for folks that like that look. I prefer the look of the bare metal of the Noctua coolers, but I am biased as I have the NH-D14!

7. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    An air cooling system that doesn't look like a pile of puke (looking at you Noctua, the yellow brown fans at least)? Interesting.

8. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I personally think it's beautiful and would be glad to have it in my rig.

However - I wonder about replacement fans. Both fans look unusually thin, and the 135mm is a very odd size. I don't want a cooler that must be replaced when a fan dies.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hey, you calling my baby ugly! Yellow/Brown, I like it, reminds me of the 70's! ;-)

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Stylish. Performing quite well. And noise level vs temperature makes it one of the best.

11. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Is there a computer somewhere around or under that chunk of metal ?

12. Olle P

Olle P Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060, 6GB
    The AMD mounting seems to leave much to be desired.
    These coolers can only be mounted in one direction on AMD boards, the base model with horisontal flow and the PRO model with vertical flow.
    At least there should be no problem with RAM clearance with the PRO model mounted that way...

13. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    Is Thermalright le grand macho rt better?
    There is a difference of more than 20 euros in favour of the thermalright.

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    From Techpowerup review Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT is within 1-2°C from Noctua NH-D15 which is one of the best coolers on market and old Dark Rock is within 2-3°C from Noctua NH-D15

Plus Thermalright TY-147A supplied on Le Grand Macho RT is one of my favourite fans, have at home Le Grand Macho RT too which I have used on my 5820k or 5960x and this cooler is within 1-2°C from my NH-D15 although on Le Grand Macho RT I run single fan

Wanted to get as well BeQuiet Dark Rock just to test this on my PC how it performs

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

15. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    Thanks.

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ^

Agree too. Seen from a few reviews around I would say the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT is one step better than the be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4.

Unless any compatibility issues are in play then the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT would be my choice. Especially if €20 cheaper.

17. rbuck

rbuck Guest

GPU:
    rtx2070 8
    It's not powder coated, it's ceramic paint. Powder coat won't scratch. Ceramic paint is used for high heat applications, exhaust headers for example. Still looks great if black floats your boat. And I am 2 years late but there is a threadripper option.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020