AOC Announces New 120Hz Model of its 35-Inch Curved AGON Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    They do not mention panel type even on their website so probably it is another lame TN bs. Not worth any attention.

3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    TN panels do not have a 178 X 178 degree viewing angles.

Whiplashwang likes this.
  4. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    not sure what kind of 2001 TN-Based LCD you used in the past, but none of them in the last half-decade have been higher than 1ms response time.

that being said, it appears you're already getting punished by the others for your ignorance, so i am bowing out and letting them take the lead.

Enjoy the ridicule, friend

5. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Does anyone like the two-tone bezel?

6. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    This is one of basic specifics of monitors, it should be listed in official specification, not delivered by third-parties by deep analysis. You do not know what panel type it is, maybe they didn't have TN in this kind of monitors but what if this one has? If you mention right monitor sites then link at least one with proper specification of this display telling type of panel, probably you will be unable to do so.

If manufacturer doesn't list basic info on their product then there is something fishy otherwise they would provide such info without shame.

7. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    How many TN panels, or IPS panels for that matter, do you know that can reach 2500:1 (non-dynamic) contrast ratio? Just from that spec alone it's obviously a VA panel.

How many clues do you need? Hilbert even said it's a refresh of the AG352UCG which when you look it up is a VA panel. Also, right at the very top of the AG352UCG6 product page it says MVA panel. Are you high?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This isn't TN. Chill.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So, i don't really pay attention to monitors, specifically because i like mine and have for the past 3 years so haven't really needed to, and even i knew this was a VA.......so......

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Can you blame him? About 102% of the time when the panel type is not prominently listed (since you know, it'd be good to list what it is you're selling) it's a TN. Otherwise they usually boast that it's an IPS or a VA type that isn't absolute trash. Being an MVA for $900 USD before tax is still a joke. I paid $500 CAD (on sale down from $650) for an Acer 144Hz 1440p 27" IPS from NewEgg. New, just to be clear, not refurbished.

Edit: I forgot to mention for those who don't know, a 35" monitor that's 3440x1440 barely has more vertical space than 27" 16:9 monitor. Just have a look - http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-35-inch-d{3440x1440}

I could have sworn every MVA I ever saw was obviously of poorer quality than any modern IPS I've seen. Am I wrong?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Robbo9999 likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Just a bit. But your made sure to sandbag your statement to level 9000. Since you can always claim that Any IPS which delivers worse image quality, contrast, ... is not "modern IPS".

Claimed 100% sRGB coverage... Good Size, Curved Gimmick in place, Nice design, 120Hz+. All that make it good monitor...
    Except 50Hz on HDMI, that's really fail.

12. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    They do not mention anti-glare, does that mean it has a glossy screen?

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hey, a simple "It's a VA Panel" would suffice as an answer, nothing wrong with asking what panel type it was. I didn't know either after reading this article, I thought it might be IPS or something, wasn't sure.

14. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    The contrast ratio indicates that it's clearly a VA panel. TN and IPS both are in about the 1000:1 range.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Okay let me rephrase that if you want to nitpick. Any VA type I've seen ever has been significantly worse than any IPS I've seen in the last 5 years.

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I may just pick one of these up, I've been waiting for a 32"+ 4k monitor with gsync and 120hz+ but those don't seem to be happening. This is also a bit more reasonable in terms of resolution for 120fps actually being possible with current GPUs

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Depends on your definition of "quality"

I won't touch IPS with a 10 foot pole, i'd go for a high quality TN model over IPS any day of the week. I might even go for a low quality TN model. VA however is quite good for my purposes.

And why won't i go for IPS, basically, ever? IPS glow. Can't stand it. I'd rather have the worst viewing angles and horrible color accuracy then IPS glow. I can't express how much i hate IPS glow.

Duke Nil likes this.
  18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    If your eyes cannot distinguish clarity/quality/precision of IPS panel, it is a brain feature or eyes error. I have 5 types of screen in my room, the best is my IPS with highest color gamut/PPI. Others are making me almost to throw up, wondering what did I see?

Well, the problem is I cannot stand any monitor or TV after watching anything in mobile's screen from simple LCD to OLED. Anything in mobile is clearer/better. I cannot understand why to be honest. Anyway, glow's amount of an IPS panel is a matter of luck.

19. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I tend to agree, maybe I've just had bad luck but every IPS screen I've had looks great for bright/colorful stuff but a solid black screen will still be bright enough to keep me from sleeping

20. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Go VA best of both worlds :)