Nvidia ends support for Fermi GPUs and 32-bit drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    rip my 450gts, that I dont use and in my dads computer that dont do anything but, browse the web

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Everyone is killing 32bit in anything. So, all our old hardware is forced to be dropped into garbage or deep sea, no I won't recycle for revenge, FU all.

Mobiles, laptops, netbooks, tablets, PCs 32bit only instruction capable will be history. Well, someone needs to justify his salary as crappy researcher.

4. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    At last, good riddance.

TheDeeGee likes this.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Where is the people who throw a fit when AMD does this?

Irony at its finest.

Keitosha likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When did AMD drop 32bit OSes?

Anyway, not providing new gaming drivers for old architecture is not that horrid thing to do. Players would not get much more from it.

And it may have beneficial effect. As nV cleans its drivers, they may notice some trash code in need of upgrade.

7. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    No need for 32-bit anymore. It's obsolete, but I still have my GTX 560Ti448 Fermi in an older computer still in service. Heck I still have my old GTX 260 core 216.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why worry? 64-bit OS is still capable to execute 32-bit apps, which are a gazillion.

32-bit only instruction capable PCs are a history already.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I was quite happy with my 560Ti (bought it for Skyrim), but obviously there's no way I could have used it till these days anyway.

10. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I'm pretty sure it should handle most games :)
    For me, not receiving game ready drivers it's not a big deal.
    It actually makes sense.

But I still think that Nvidia should keep some low budget support for the cards and should try to not do what AMD have done with the VLIW cards (<= HD 6000)

AMD left those cards without any official support even for Windows 10, I think that's a pretty bad way to abandon support, nobody is asking for features or performance improvements, but at least keep up the minimum support for working officially in new OSes or fix some groundbreaking bugs that prevents people from playing certain games.
    If Nvidia follows the same road as AMD in this regard, it should be painful for people that keep their PCs for some basic stuff and playing some old titles or new undemanding indie titles.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    i mean the last 32bit only cpu that would still be usable from intel was the 1st gen mobile core duo (yohan core 2005~?) which can be upgraded to merom, for amd it was pre athlon64 which is 2004~ thats 14 years ago now.

the 32bit runtime isn't going anywhere, but as far as supporting 32bit oses, I'd imagine its highly unlikely that anyone would be running something like pascal on something that old.

they did a win 10 "supported" driver its just not wddm2.0, which those cards can't physically support properly anyway. Im not excusing their dropping of VLIW though, they way they left The pre-gcn apus was pretty bad , the switchable graphics they give be nightmares...

12. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The difference is that AMD drops support while people still consider their cards as passable, whereas Nvidia does drop support when they are considered long in the tooth. In Fermi's case, it has even gotten support for WDDM 2.3 and OpenGL 4.6. And Fermi is still going to get at least security updates until 2019.
    Nvidia is also better at supporting older OSes for longer.

I'll never forgive AMD for the crappy support they gave their HD 2000-4000 series. They handled the HD 5000-6000 better, but they were still dropped too early.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  13. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @Yxkaft It's the way that they drop support that kills it.
    I have a HD 7850 it's a GCN 1.0 card, it's the last arquitechture supported from the list.
    The only thing I ask is when AMD dropped the support at least keep up some basic stuff, release a driver or 2 per year, fixing the most annoying issues that accumulate over the year.
    We all know that softwares get updates over time, Windows 10 with it's rolling updates, keep changing and changing.
    Problems comes up with all hardwares.

Getting 0 support from a certain point in a Full functional GPU like a HD 6970 it's insane.
    GPUs like the GT 820M are still fermi based and after the start of 2019 will get no support, I hope this means some legacy support from time to time and not an "AMD STYLE" 0 support driver.

14. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    I have Geforce GT 520 for the second monitor also use dedicate to PhysX.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    32bit anything should died years ago,

TheDeeGee and maikai like this.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The real difference is that Nvidia has more money flowing in than they can possibly use for anything sensible, whereas AMD was in such dire straits that it was constantly speculated who will buy them off the market. It's no excuse for AMD dropping the support too soon, but it's the probable explanation. Considering how they managed to wow nobody but miners with their latest cards, it's evident they don't have enough money even for the most vital R&D, let alone keeping older things afloat.

17. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Farcry 64 patch released back in 2005 I was naïve to believe that was going to become the new trend lol

18. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302

1st gen GCN is supported? UVD bug is still there after 20 months. That is how much 1st gen GCN is supported.
    I don't see any reason for nV to drop support for fermi considering it is using same architecture as their current cards. Its not like that perf gains from driver optimizations were same, because they were never specifically for older gen cards anyway.
    Then again, if cards are outdated performance wise and current drivers are good, then cutting them off is even a good idea. I am sure that UVD bug on 1st gen GCN will still exist when AMD officially cut off support.

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Which was silly because someone made it possible to run on 32bit. It's not like 64bit was needed we were nowhere near the limitations of 32bit at that time. It was made to sell OSs and CPUs.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    crysis did that too. the 64bit verison had more issue then 32bit verison at the time