Is it bad to recharge a new phone's battery without battery being completely consumed?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Rakanoth, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Rakanoth

Rakanoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Years ago, I used to keep hearing this. I should recharge my brand new phone's battery only after the battery is 0% (completely consumed). Is this true? Maybe not true for today's smart phones. What do you recommend? Any research done on this? What are your experiences?

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It's fine. you're talking about ancient battery tech. Phones turn off the charge to a trickle now to just keep it at 100%

And it defeats the point in your phone if you go around with it at like 6% waiting for it to die before you recharge it

Batteries lose capacity over time, little you can do about it other than not use your phone. If your phone is old replace the battery if you can.

pimpernell and Clawedge like this.
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can't actually run the battery down to 0%. If you did, it wouldn't recharge. For a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery to take a charge, it has to have a small charge already. Neither lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries have the same issues that Nickel-Cadmium batteries have. Ni-Cad batteries had a "memory" of sorts where it could "remember" what the last charge state was and only allow the battery to be consumed to that point after being charged. Lithium Ion and lithium polymer batteries can be fully charged, regardless of the previous charge rate without concern for artificially reduced battery life. The only disadvantage that lithium batteries have compared to Ni-Cad is that they can't be fully discharged without being left damaged and unusable. Lithium batteries also can't be charged as many times as Ni-Cad, but at the rate most people replace phones, it's not really an issue.

pimpernell and airbud7 like this.
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I heard the same is true for a car battery? ....not sure on that though?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Car batteries are different. Car batteries are "lead/acid" batteries. They rely on a chemical reaction. As long as the chemical reaction can be restarted, the battery will recharge.

StewieTech and airbud7 like this.
  6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I've done quite a bit of research.

Here is my advise to get the very best out of your battery, whether new or old.

Don't always fully charge your phone to 100% , strange but true. Also, it's bad constantly discharging your phone to near zero, puts a lot of strain on the battery and degrades it over time.

Simply put, when your phone gets down to 30-40% put it on charge. When it reaches 80-90% remove it, no need to reach the 100% as again it puts considerable strain on your battery.

So try as much as you can to keep your battery between 30% minimum and maximum 90%

Last bit of advice, it is good from time to time to completely run your phone down to 1 or 2% followed by a full charge of 100% around once per month.

This is the best you can do for any battery, whether mobile phone or laptop battery.

7. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    +1

I was always told by various articles that it's good to drain your battery and fully charge it again but that's not the case for Lithium-ion batteries. Li-On batteries shouldn't regularly dip below 40% and should be charged straight away. My LG G6 tells me this in depth.

My battery goes down 60% in one day's usage for me.

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    For anyone that is rooted, there is an app "battery charge limit" that actually lets you set the maximum % your phone will charge to. I set mine at 80% and typically only run down to about 40-50% each day. Hopefully the battery life will be preserved because of that. I never fast charge either. I have a 200mA 5V charger I use.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    That cannot be the right number of 0's.

That's even lower than standard USB 2 specs. It'd take days to charge a phone

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I use a 1a charger at work.... Takes forever to charge anything...

11. braveluke

braveluke Guest

GPU:
    4096 MB
    To my point:

The rule with Li-ion batteries is to keep them 50 percent or more most of the time. When it drops below 50 percent top it up a little if you can. A little a few times a day seems to be the optimum to aim for.

But don’t charge it all the way to 100 percent . It won’t be fatal to your battery if you do a full recharge - most of us are forced to do this every now and again in emergencies. But constantly doing a full recharge will shorten the battery’s lifespan.

So a good range to aim for when charging a Li-ion battery is from about 40- to 80 percent in one go. Try not to let the battery drop below 20 percent.

And for a total consumed battery:

I recommend that you do a full zero to 100 percent battery recharge (a "charge cycle") maybe once a month only. This recalibrates the battery - a bit like restarting your computer, or, for humans, going on holiday! The same goes for laptops, by the way.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  12. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    Batteries start to degrade the second they roll off the production belt. Not using the battery won't stop it from degrading.

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Well there we go then, even less to worry about!

People are so obsessed with keeping batteries fresh it's insane the voodoo they go through to keep them good.

Saw a user here say how they don't have their battery attached to their laptop while it's plugged into the wall, totally defeats the purpose of a laptop and battery!

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I remember back in the 90s. portable house phone batteries would die really fast.
    wouldnt last a day off the charging base

15. Stickynote

Stickynote Guest

GPU:
    Iris Pro/128Mb
    I was adviced by the staff at Apple store that we have to charge the phone when it has only 20% and must leave it until it reaches 100%. That's for iPhone, I don't know if it applies to others.