[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS4 - Build 17134 RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 31, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I used this easier decrypit ESD method, after I mounted the image it proceeded to check for updates and then install.. Didn't take that long either, probably max 20-30min. I was afk, when I returned it was waiting by login screen.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Just did it. Pretty easy, beats fresh install. So far all OK. Have to tinker around with some apps scaling. New scaling options in compatibility tab. Whole process done in about 30 mins.

4. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    This new build 17133.1 is so much smoother and faster than the previous build 16299.xxx. The installation was very fast too, less than 20 minutes at least.

5. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    That's really weird, I have VT-d and Intel Virtualization Technology both enabled in my Asus Maximus VI Hero and could boot the ISO (on a DVD) into UEFI mode and install without issues.

6. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Then you are lucky many have reported issues in the Feedback Hub about this problem, Microsoft to date have ignored it. Not too sure what it affects if not running, older version never had an issue with this enabled.

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Got the update off of WU and upgrade install went flawlessly on my PowerSpec 1710.

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Easy to check - Windows build version is shown in tool's version, on Details tab of Properties. And yeah, it's 16299 still for now.

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Is this with VT or just VT-d, my bios does not have a VT-d option just VT, I do use VT for MV's.
    I guess VT-d is a new thing, my old Z77 MB doesn't support that.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yeah, thanks I didn't even bother to DL it as it was listed Fall on the page.

11. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    VT-d is nothing new, but it has to be supported by the CPU and the chipset, as well as requiring a compatible bios. From Sandy Bridge to Haswell I think, most if not all K series weren't compatible with VT-d, while the regular non-K series were. Many mainstream boards bioses are also missing an option to enable/disable VT-d, even if everything else is in a good shape for it to work. I had to contact Gigabyte support to get a VT-d compatible bios on my Westmere Xeon (socket 1366) platform, as none was available publicly. Asus are also known to have very dodgy VT-d support in their bioses for years.

xankazo likes this.
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hasswell has ok VT, but never have extra native hw driver support, so its more compatible and faster because of that.

Or something like that, I had this in my memory.. :)

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, thanks, now that you mentioned all that I do remember the K models having some features disabled that nonK had.
    Yeah, I have an Asus P8Z77Pro MB, I do need VT to work, anyway thanks for detailed explanation.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    We're talking about visualization right? If so, this would only effect people running virtual machines right? I have it disabled in my bios so I never noticed any problems.

15. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    @EdKiefer
    I'm glad I could help :)
    VT-x is often turned on by default and called "Virtualization support", "Intel VT" or "Intel® Virtualization Technology". It's available on the vast majority of Intel CPUs less than a decade old and it shouldn't be an issue to have it enabled for this build to work as far as I've seen. VT-d (Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O) is IOMMU virtualization, needed to get PCI passthrough working for example, and is a rarer feature on mainstream hardware as it requires more work on both the board topology and bios/UEFI. It *can* be linked to the VT-x toggle in bios sometimes, but it definitely shouldn't be. Here the issue seems to be linked with VT-d only.

@tensai28
    This will enable some hardware acceleration/features in virtual machines, yes. So indeed if you have no use for it disabling it is not an issue.

In this case though, if your bios has it enabled by default and you can't turn it off, you may end up with a non-booting OS after installing this build. This is definitely a huge issue. The Westmere Xeon board I mentioned above is fine with this build and VT-d enabled though. It would be interesting to see if a specific brand or bios series is affected.. Let's hope MS fixes it before public release, else I smell bad Windows updates related news.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    When is this officially rolling out ?

17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    In 5 days they say...

WhiteLightning likes this.
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You can try that ESD method, it is safe, I did a simple upgrade to keep all and its like nothing happened. :)

Earlier updates win8.1 to Win10 and later to TH1, TH2 to RS1 where a bigger mess, I had to do a fresh clean install later each time.. After that its been ok.

Now I'm a little surprised it didn't break any start tiles and modern apps, or start in general. :D

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so are we saying this build better then the last few?

20. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Now available in the release preview ring! Very soon for all it would seem!

LocoDiceGR likes this.