Samsung 2018 QLED TVs will support 120hz Freesync and VRR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    HawaiianBrian likes this.
  2. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    So would these now be a suitable replacement for a monitor?

3. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Buy me the TV & I will let you know ;-)

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    FULL HDMI 2.1 support TV/monitors please.

TV/monitor makers like to cheat customers cherry picking what they want to implement from standards and what they won't as they do with fake HDR (400 nits VS 1000 nits) TV/monitors.

FULL HDR (when HDR wars end...) and FULL HDMI 2.1 stardard compliant TV/monitors...

5. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    Nice move... and forward!

6. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I'm glad this is happening now, and now any later... They must be realizing the "streaming" sector (Twitch.TV) is selling monitors instead of TV's, and this is a way to get into that huge & growing market.

7. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    Do you think moves like this could pressure Nvidia to support freesync or will they just support VRR?

8. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Isnt freesync just an enhanced version of VRR? Arent all VRR monitors essentially Freesync compatible? I think this is a HUGE step towards killing G-Sync / forcing Nvidia to support Freesync....

9. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Full HD at 120hz..yawn. Never really cared about freesync either. My current TV already does that. Wake me up when they got a 4k 120hz tv and a video card capable pulling it off.
    That being said, I've been using a TV as a monitor for years. Right now using a 43 inch 4k tv as my monitor and not regretting it at all. I know some really care about input lag but I never seemed to notice and much prefer the larger screen.

HawaiianBrian likes this.
  10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    They will continue to profit from G-Sync as long as they can. Eventually they may have to switch. The more products like these come out, the sooner they will have to consider it.

EDIT: They still need to support all the G-Sync hardware out there, it will be while if they were to open to Free-Sync I think.

11. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    I've been using a TV as a monitor since flat screens were available. I'll never go back to a small screen.

I'd say that 4k 42" is much nicer then my original 40" 1080p, mainly do to clarity of text, but in general, the situation is great.

personally, I've been waiting for a Free-sync TV, now we just need Navi to be available in store.

12. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    Since monitors have FreeSync the manufacturers wouldn't bother putting in a TV specific technology. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there are no VRR monitors.

13. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    Unless you're gaming with some wicked 1080ti SLI @ 4k, you would be a prime candidate for getting a VRR/Freesync TV.When you game on a high speed screen with a GPU that can't keep up you have screen tearing which is what VRR solves.

But hey, since you've had one for years you're a pro at this, right?

Right now, i wouldn't go 120Hz as 1080ti isn't g strong enough to keep FPS up A4k.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  14. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    Nvidia's competition is AMD gpu's, which they dominate.

Nvidia is selling over priced hardware for PC master race gaming of which TVs, and consoles are of no concern.

15. kundi_69

kundi_69 New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    You do realize that 1000nits isn't required for something to be HDR, right? It's the number several of the standards have determined to be the the qualifier for their endorsement but it doesn't mean something is or isn't HDR.

16. FuturEyes

FuturEyes Guest

GPU:
    FuryX
    Finally!!!! The "Media Center" TV I've been dreaming of for years is finally here! I was just hoping for 4K and adaptive sync. This also gets QLED, HDMI 2.1 and! 120hz @1080p! I mean, I'd still prefer OLED. But this checks off so many more features then any other TV till now. :-D

17. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Personally I'm disappointed with 15ms in game mode and also with HDMI 2.0 and 120hz only at HD res.. I've played for a year now in 4K on the TV, and the 60hz is an issue for online FPS play as well as the input lag - none of which are solved with the new set. It is a step in the right direction, but not a reason to switch TV (for me).

18. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Lol really? Thats as good as it gets for TVs mate. Less than a single 60fps lag is not causing any problems...

19. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Im so tired.. or it's just FHD panel.. with UHD picture ? o_O

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you realize that there are a LOT of TVs with subpar HDR experience because they simply can't reach REAL 1000 nits in normal use , they don't have local dimming (or very few zones) and even use 8 bit panels!!!? :mad: