Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont have stutter on 1703, was this 1709 thing?

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It seems it was, as that was the reason I delayed my update.
    Plus not much change that I care about. anyway I have been on 1709 for over a week and it feels like all other builds, but maybe that is because of limited games I run (mainly BF4 and BF1 now).

3. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Maybe, or not. I'm on 1709 and I'm not seeing these issues. Playing many games as well, none stutter.

4. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    does this only benefit systems that have 8GB memory?

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    It should not matter (unless this is tied to some tricky bug which only triggers with some specific memory size ranges --- very unlikely) because:
    1: with relatively small amounts or RAM you will probably always run out of free pages regardless of caching (you will need swap/pagefile and have very small cache size)
    2: you can't possibly have more RAM (64-128 Gb or so for a desktop nowadays) than what you can easily fill with cached data (sooner or later)

If you want artificially test this, just compress a huge file (for example, a Blu-Ray ISO image with 7-zip) and you will have most of the original and the temporary new file in cache at some point (or much as fits in the RAM) as well as a decent amount of RAM in active use (if you work with RAM-intensive compression settings).
    I just tried this (Win10 Ent 1803, I just updated today from 1709) and got pretty much all the 32Gb filled on my system (save for some 100-300Mb floating around) but as soon as the process finished (7-zip quit) the cache size dropped to ~400Mb (roughly where it started). Although, I can imagine Windows trying to keep all the cached data relentlessly in the "Standby" memory while the process is active, I didn't try to check that (should be easy though: pause the compression process and then try to do something else which requires lots of active private memory and then close that while the compression is still paused --- monitor your memory stats during the tests...).

6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  7. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I have 16GB and was stuttering in some games and this killed it completely.

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I saw this reddit post about a month ago when I was trying to fix some stutter while gaming. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but if some of y'all have had success, I might have to give it a go soon. There is technically no harm in clearing the standby RAM cache stuff, right? Maybe longer load times or something, but it won't crash a game like BF1 if you all of a sudden clear 8GB of cached stuff? Just curious. Keep the test results coming, Gurus.

9. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    This is huge op, really appreciate this. I have only tested in ACO but its way better than before. Reporting on a 1800x and 1080ti.

10. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    This is clearing stuff that is cached and not in use as in it is at the ready for use so there is no worry of anything ever getting cleared that is in use. I have been using it for a while now and not a single crash while my games load in the same time they always did. None of your worries are applicable here. It is all good.

I am glad it helped you. I just made a separate thread copying something that user jdc2389 posted so find a post of his in here and thank him for it as if it wasn't for him I wouldn't know about it.

11. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    Anyone with Windows 10 RS4 v1803 can confirm that these stutterings gone vs 1709?

12. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    which windows version are you on?
    is this problem eliminated in 1803? which versions affected?

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If I can compare it directly by COD BO3 RS3 vs RS4, nothing changed much. Maybe a tad smoother, but I also deleted this tweak later..

I never was prone to stutter, well ever since I made sure my OC voltages are in place.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm somthing to do with standby?, well seeing i dont us standby or sleep or any of that stuff maybe that is why i dont see such things

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is about different "standby", not about power states.

16. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Turanis likes this.
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Mott

What's your pagefile set to?

18. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    Yes the standby name is misleading it has nothing to do with standby it is the cached Memory. Probably the tool creator is not a native English speaker.

[​IMG]

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  20. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I am on the latest build of Win 10 x64 Pro 1709. I don't know about my page file but as stated above it is a cache issue not a standby RAM issue so I don't think that matters (I could be wrong as I am only going on what other people are saying and am not an expert on these specific things). I am not home otherwise I would give it just because it was asked but I am not, sorry. I will try and remember to update you when I get home on that number.

Hardware might matter? Maybe we can find a pattern or maybe the next update will solve it and it won't matter? Either way it is solved for me after applying the process in my OP.

Ryzen 1600 @ 3.825ghz, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (2 x 8GB), GTX1070 Ti 8GB (ROG STRIX), SoundblasterX AE-5, Intel Wireless AC 8265 desktop kit (WiFi+BT), Samsung 27" 2k 144hz 10bit panel.