Win10 audio latency ?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Montville, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    I wonder why the win10 latency is always ~1 sec (1000 ms) even when idle and not playing anythang? Is there a way to get it down to Win7 level that always was under/lower than 500ms on same machine?

https://pasteboard.co/HeRPOsG.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    bro !!! i have same numbers from DPC in win 10 !! but i read from other forum DPC doesn't report the right values in win 8/10 !!
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/1567621-windows-10-high-dpc-latency.html
    you try latencymon for me i think report the right values !!
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
    [​IMG]

HK-1 and Montville like this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Pictures from these apps are fancy to view. But have you actual problems in games or pro audio apps?

4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Everything is better in Windows 10, you shouldn't care about it, latency is the existence of windows 7 themselves at the moment. Numbers are meaningless and mistaken. Nobody cares about latency in these days, don't be so 2000. Just have a fully updated system both software and firmware/bios wise.

5. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Okay, special thx to ultraex2003, this monitor shows far better values!

My mobo is quite dated (from 2013) but still kicking it even with Win10. I have no noticeable latency problems in audio/video hence was wondering alot.

https://pasteboard.co/HeT7uwe.jpg

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Did you manually change the internal high-precision timer of the operating system?

7. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Nope, never touched it and I am not even sure there is such option in my bios

8. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    This is quite an overstatement.

warlord likes this.
  9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Microsoft Engineers know better than all of us. If someone of you here or the million other plebes have more degrees and/or masters/doctorates in that particular field, feel free to state an unimportant opinion. :) We shouldn't really criticize something out of our league.

radosuaf likes this.
  10. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Well we should not hijack my topic - to me Win10 is a good progress over Win7 .. it is slick and a smooth working OS far better than Win7 in all aspects. However, it's my gaming machine I upgraded and that's it.

warlord likes this.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I am gamer over two decades. Latency never mattered about performance bro. Don't go by the numbers. That's a pro's aspect. If you don't like something about your fluency or smoothness, it is something else, a driver perhaps or a faulty part of hardware. OS is the last thing to check. All these tools, timers etc, are trash. Like OSD and FPS meters. A pure gaming machine does what it is meant to do.

radosuaf likes this.
  12. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Well, my concern has been answered by using a different latency checker... btw, not really a pure gaming machine... just not a production machine hence I call it...

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Because wasting power when not needed is not a useful thing to do. It's like leaving your car running when you park it and leave, because you want your car to always rev the engine. Why would you do that?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no they don't.
    such an ignorant statement, i hope its bait.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, it obviously is. It makes a statement about capable software engineers (and they are very capable) but then mixes it with the political decisions MS has enacted with W10, which have very little to do with the software engineering part.

Yes, developing Windows 10 requires smart and capable people. Any modern OS requires that. But that doesn't say much about the brain damages of Windows 10 that exist purely because of how MS wants to treat their users.

GSDragoon and mbk1969 like this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows has been form over function since 8.x, unfortunately the fact windwos phone has flopped and got axed hasn't instigated a re-evaluation of design philosophy.