Intel Adds a + In the Core i5 and i7 Badges, just for Optane

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Is this something they plan on doing retroactively with, say the Z270 Chipset? Or is it just going forward?

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Its too bad that Intel botched the Optane launch to consumers so badly.

I am an Optane user and fan but even I can't recommend it to much of anyone due to the cost, capacity and hassle in using it.

I think if they could have come up with a M.2 variant that paired 512GB or 1TB of NAND on one side of the PCB and Optane cache on the other they could have a solution that justified the price.

An all in one package that was much faster than the 960 pro would have been something enthusiasts might have been willing to pay a premium for.

As it stand now most review sites rate Optane somewhere between useless and cool in theory but hard to justify.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Is Intel trying to make Optane unpopular? It's one thing to only allow Optane on Intel motherboards - it's a bad idea, but I can see why they may have to do that for technical reasons. However, the last thing Intel should be doing is restricting Optane within their own product lineup. Their naming schemes are confusing enough as-is (especially when you consider mobile platforms) and they just added a layer of complication.

Optane is a great technology, but it doesn't matter how good it is when nobody wants to buy it.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I'm using Intel Optane 900p 480GB, and there is no hassle :D

Optane cache with ssd/hdd is not for me :p

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm guessing Optane Cache is like their former "Smart Response Technology"....except requiring a specific SSD?