Microsoft will Increase Windows license fees for high-end hardware

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Perhaps MS feels like it's not getting its share of the profits when laptop makers release even super premium 6-core CPU models with a GTX1080 GPU. However, I doubt this is a special problem for the manufacturers. What matters more is if the entry level laptop license costs rise. If the laptop total retail price with taxes is 199-299 euros, there's not a whole lot of room for any sort of component cost movement.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe we'll see the rise of buying hardware without an OS, bringing back OS piracy big again. :rolleyes:

I certainly don't see why m$ should make more money off a high end laptop than a low end one, since it's the same software for them all, if not artificially gimped.

4. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    Do you want people to look for ways to game on Linux.
    Cause that's how to get people to look for ways to game on Linux.

Vulkan where are you?

Silva and CalculuS like this.

5. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    In my country no one and i do mean no one is buying laptops with windows all the windows is pirated even in big companies which if u have above 100 win10 cost per license is 19.99 euro but most of them dont care because even if they are caught the fine is 200-400 euro depending . Also every laptop u can choose to have OS or not the retail puts the windows in the laptop after they get key from manufacturer if they are providing one. But making people pay more for higher system they have is server enterprise step which wont go down smoothly with normal customers

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Microsoft wants to make money... neat.

7. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    Who cares? Just get a laptop without OS and put a ... you know, "custom" version of Windows on it.

Silva and TheDeeGee like this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You aren't seeing the whole picture. If you buy an OEM Win10 from a shop, it's more than 100 euros (I guess depending on where you live). You think a laptop costing 199 euros would have a 100 euros OS installed? Of course not. The license cost for it is something like 20 euros if even that. Even if it's the exact same OS version. This is the only way MS can have Windows installed on everything, beginning from the most entry level stuff. Unless you complain about that as well, don't complain about the enthusiast systems carrying a higher license price. People always want to pay less but never more. However, nobody questions why an 8-core CPU should cost more than a 2-core CPU or why 3200MHz RAM should cost more than 2133MHz RAM. An entry level PC is full of entry level components. Somehow it must also have an OS license that's within a similar price range.

I wonder how's the system security in your country? Lots of unpatched software and botnets running? Also, if everybody pirates everything, it ensures domestic software industry hasn't got much of a chance to develop. I presume most people who acquire decent programming skills in your parts want to move abroad. It's a sad state of things for any country.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And I thought that Windows 10 was meant to be long term ever-present spying solution. Not something people will try and succeed replacing with linux.

Silva likes this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I wonder if vendors add option for Win7 to lower laptop price.

11. bulldog75

bulldog75 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC 8G
    one word,Torrent.
    Simples.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh I am fairly aware of how this works, and in general I tend to agree with you. The problem is, why should I as a customer that buys high end equipment pay so that low end users can get their windows? That's m$'s problem, not mine. Also, by the way you put it, sure you can pay more for a octa core CPU than a quad core. But with the exactly same windows, why should I pay more? Same program, same software, where's the reason to charge more for it there? Your own argument actually can help my point of view too.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand how it works, thanks for pointing it out again, but I guess we can be pretty sure it's just a money grab from m$.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I guess the offset to the higher cost is preload more uwp app sh!t?

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You gonna tell us about the vendor that sells high end laptops without Windows on it?

And why bother paying for OEM version in first place?

p.s. One word, HTTP. Or HTTPS, even better.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    As more games come with Vulkan and linux is more and more user friendly, windows will start to die on the high end users.
    Eventually all they'll sell are OEM's and laptops.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's the only way MS can do it. They don't really have the option to make a lousier version, like hardware manufacturers often do. The more crippled Windows versions haven't really been a big hit, I believe. The regular Home version seems to be the bottom line. The whatever version that could only run UWP apps and thus didn't allow installation of anything but stuff from the MS store wasn't received with praise as far as I know.

I think the current system is fair enough. It's not like you'd be paying extra when you buy a premium laptop. Rather, the ones buying the cheap things get a discount. However, even if you are envious of that OS discount, are you envious of the poor hardware they get?

17. A7ibaba

A7ibaba Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Matrix R9 290X
    Let's increase the price and blame the weather ! Microsoft policy since 1979

18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
  19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I would really like that but i think we are still a very long way from that moment...

You can´t see things like that. An OS for a low or high end system is always the same product so it makes sense to price them the same amount of money, there´s no difference. But when it comes to hardware, high end parts are more expensive to manufacture and to develop, so it makes sense to charge more for better hardware.
    This is just a dick move to milk more money out of OEMs, nothing more. Charging more for an OS because of the hardware it runs is simply stupid and greedy. If MS wants to follow that route then they should create an high end version of W10. For example i would pay more for a version without the spyware and without the forced updates.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While I do not support piracy, laptops without OS are regular option on HP's configurator. People use linux. Businesses use linux.