Asus Zephyrus GX501 with 6-core Core i7-8750H and GTX 1080 Surfaces

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RonanH

RonanH Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Nice laptop, but the way it opens up at the back makes it look like it's broken :D

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Very expensive. Personally, I would get a Good solid laptop with Thunderbolt 3 and additionally purchase external GPU box + GPU.

This allows you to upgrade it along the way, costs less and produces less heat. Hell, for example, you can get latest Asus Zenbook laptop with 15-inch screen + eGPU Box + gtx 1080 for around 2000 Euro.

Only drawback you can't show off your fantastic gaming skills to everyone in Starbucks. Herp

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Pretty sure that's the table underneath it that's badly photoshopped.
    Edit: I stand corrected. It actually does open. Huh.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There are more drawbacks, firstly Thunderbolt 3 doesn't fully use a GPU, specially the high end ones meaning you will lose performance. Two, if you still use your Laptop screen you lose even more performance, so most people would need a screen to output too (reason for this is because of bandwidth limitations on Thunderbolt 3), Three this set up would then cost you more as you want a monitor, and i'm assuming a high refresh rate one if you wanted to run a 1080/ti on the box.

Personally i want them to make Thunderbolt 4 or someone else with a bigger bandwidth to fully be able to use the GPU inside and be able to run it without a second monitor, Some of the videos i saw lost anywhere between 30-50% performance on the GPU which isn't nice when you're about to drop a couple of grand

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    True, however still it's cheaper, even if you want a monitor. It will cost Additional 150-300 Euro max for a 1080p screen.

Regarding loss, it varies a lot, in most cases its around 10% loss simply due to a throughput of Thunderbolt. Down the road, we will have Thunderbolt 4 will should fully solve the issue.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I question how effectively it could keep a 1080 cool. I'm sure even a 1070 would start throttling in a chassis that slim.

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah when we get Thunderbolt 4, i'm sure this will stop being an issue. In which case more people might jump on it. right now its just too much worse, specially if you don't hook up another monitor too it.

Though i think getting a 1080p Screen for a GTX 1080 is rather overkill for it XD Could save a lot of money and get a 1070 instead

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    It is, however, I was just showing it as an example to compare with 1080 from the above-mentioned laptop.
    In reality, indeed 1070 is enough, but then again try to find one at MSRP. I saw some cases of 1070 being more expensive than 1080, which is absurd.

10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    That slim chassis - must be the Max-Q version, so it's crippled to 1070 level + 10% max.

11. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    1080 is not overkill for a 1080p screen if you want to utilize that 120hz screen on more than just e-sport games.

12. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    No such thing as over kill for an enthusiast, at least with a 1080 and 1080p screen means that the laptop should have decent life expectancy before games become unplayable on it. Hate not playing at the native res, 1080p on 4k screen looks horrible.

13. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    If LAN parties were still a thing in the U.S. I'd not mind having something like this, but Teamspeak and Steam and such have killed the LAN party, unfortunately. How about in Euro countries? Are LAN parties still popular anywhere?