So who has deleted their Facebook ?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Repo Man, Mar 28, 2018.

1. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    only use facebook for photos but i am forever considering getting rid of it.

frack social media!

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    All my friends use it as their messenger so not any time soon
    this forum is social media, only difference hilbert is not collecting info on us to sell off, that's just slightly done on the side with google ad tracking

signex and airbud7 like this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    deleted mine 5 years ago (was inactive by then). Was fun before people flood in and facebook became data mining industry.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    "before it became data mining industry"

That's the only reason fb ever made a single $, from day 1, user accounts were only there to be data mined and to be shown adds.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I loled at this. Great picture. Also i have to say that you are really adorable Airbud!...:D Wasn´t expecting that...

As for FB, never had an account because i don´t care about social media at all.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    No i havent deleted it yet. There's nothing on there besides hobby stuff. My metal band, my games, thats it.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    No Facebook account. Or Twitter or Instagram.

I doubt people are interested in what type of dump I took this morning... I'm surely not interested in anyone else's.

Finally caved in to install WhatsApp on my phone recently to keep up with my hockey team mates.
    Handy for schedules and whatnot, granted. But it's the only group I belong to and will likely ever join.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Are you absolutely sure...? :cool:

:p

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I won't. As their market value goes down they have a pressure to fix things.But I cleaned out allowed apps, now only 4 are active.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Good guy Zuckerberg helping those out in need... ;)
    [​IMG]

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    deleted it over a year ago, would never use again, its a means for people to say things they wouldn't say to someones face because its "online", i'v lost count of the number of peoples friendships and relationships of people i know that go tits up over social media.

signex likes this.
  12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I was so enraged by the Facebook fiasco that I felt obliged to open up a Facebook account just so I could then close it... but seriously are we actually shocked by this turn of events?

Repo Man likes this.
  13. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    You might as well shut down your computers and smash the hard drives with a hammer. No i didn't delete my facebook, infact i'm even thinking of buying shares.

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I think you're a bit late to be shorting....:p

HawaiianBrian likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    No I don't think we are, I always knew they were shifty seeing how they allowed all forms of click bait content and it always took the center stage on your timeline no matter how often you clicked the options of not wanting to see that crap. Yeah I get it, they gotta make money somehow and that was the big deal with FB when it really took off, they weren't making any dosh out of it so roll out the adverts and click bait crap!

Enlightened and experienced users and browsers such like us will sniff questionable s**t a country mile away but the average Joe or Josie will happily take 10 polls per day to see what Walking Dead character they are or what Greys Anatomy character they are and s**t like that. Hell I've sometimes fallen for these things out of boredom during my break at work where the headline is along the lines of "See what these Star Trek actors look like now!" and you click the link and you get actor X as they were in the show along with a whole host of adverts blasting on your face, you scroll down to the bottom and hit page 2 to see what they look like now and its the same affair with pictures ripped off google and some hastily written flavour text but the ads are the most prominent items on the page. Soon you realise that this WILL go on ad infinity and close it but by then the owner of the site has already made a coin and whoever the owner of the site is, he/she might have dozens or even hundreds of these running but they're just playing the system and facebook merrily allows it because they obviously get a slice in one way or another.

Its a whole new art form of scamming and artificially creating income from thin air in my opinion, its a job for people who do not want to work and earn a real income ( feel free to counter me on that with examples of billionaires who earned their lambos by running Star Trek themed click bait sites on FB ). The fact that a click is worth anything is a bit worrying to me. No disrespect to G3D, I got adblock disabled for this site and I often click the ads to make sure Hilbert gets a bit of revenue to keep the thing running but still, I think its all very artificial and the bubble will burst.

This is sort of related and I found it quite interesting:

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah I got this after seeing a post about it.

The concept is nothing new it seems, it's a plugin that seems to have been available for a while, but it auto enables for facebook.

Linkscanning does my head in, facebook and reddit are real bad about it. A normal www.google.com link will not just go to there, it first must pass their link scanning to see where you just went so they can track that, and if the social media you just came from is being DDOS'd then your simple link will take ages to load

18. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Cannot delete what I never had.

19. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Opp's I closed mine(correction)..Mine has family photo's on it, many witch couldn't be seen if I did not post them. I have an 80LBS box of old family photo's, seeing as I'm the most computer savy with a ton of photo's............

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018