So who has deleted their Facebook ?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Repo Man, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    In light of all the recent events of Facebook claimed to collect data on its users and use that data for this and that, followed by hashtags to delete facebook, anyone actually deleted theirs ?

I made a decision long time ago to quit social media altogether due to the way its been heading the past 2 years where everything you post is being scrutinized and potentially used against you at some stage or another. Even more so because of the way the so-called Mainstream Media now quotes Facebook and Twitter posts as some sort of source for reliable news. Not to mention the ads... oh my god the ads! I swear I spent more time scrolling through advertisements than my friends uploads and even pages I followed turned into "buy this stuff!" pages.

After putting it off for a long time due to lazyness, I finally requested my Facebook account ( along with Twitter and Instagram accounts ) to be closed on the 17th of March. On the 18th it hit the fan and here are the notes thus far in the unlikely event that someone here missed them: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/26/the-cambridge-analytica-files-the-story-so-far

Now I'm sure Facebook will continue to march on due its devoted users and thats fine, many other companies will carry on gathering information on us on the side too. This morning I read that Google apparently has on avarage 5.5 gigs of data on all of its users or something of that ilk. Microsoft is supposedly meant to start cracking down on "naughty language" through all of its services from Skype through Office and all the way to XBL.

Where does it end and who will all this benefit ?

I knew this day was coming and I think or at least I like to think that more and more people are waking up to the fact that something isn't right and being always connected isn't working as its supposed to. It was fun for a while. As it stands I can't delete facebook or Skype off my phone, I can disable them but not completely delete them ( unless I do naughty things that potentially void warranty ). What's the next step I wonder ?

Opinions ? Thoughts ? 1984 ? The first online civil war ? Skynet ? or just more cat memes and funny gifs as if nothing ever happened ?... probably the latter but I know where I stand. Social Network was a cool concept untill corporate greed ruined it.

For now I've given up, didn't really care about all the pictures of other peoples kids and their finger paintings anyway and as for Twitter... how is that thing still going on anyway ?

2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Also I totally posted this in the wrong section...

Would it be possible to get this moved to the pub please ?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Don't have a facebook account, but as I see it, this is just a drop in the ocean. People still use iOS, Android, GMail, Amazon, the "Alexa" thing or "Ciri" or whatever the f they're called, etc, etc. They know the people you know, the books you read, the movies you watch, your political views... Pretty much everything.

Everyone can be profiled. It is scary, and probably surpasses the amount of spying "evil" governments like China do on their population. Everyone gets angry at this violation of human rights when these countries do it, but no one seems to realize that it's no different here. The only difference is that this information is sold for money here to the highest bidder. But other than that, there's no difference.

But the vast majority of people are quite stupid anyway, so I don't see this changing. It's gonna get worse, most probably. Keep people's minds pre-occupied with "terrorism" and other BS, and you can do almost everything you want to them since, again, most people are stupid and will still vote you in power.

386SX and glock38 like this.
  4. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    One really good CME, and its all gone....we are living/texting/gaming on borrowed time.
    So live it up!

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Deactivated it late 2015 and don't miss it at all. Twitter is dormant and haven't logged in years. Insta only on my phone for cats and models ( :p ). Don't use google search, chrome, android, or gmail. My exposure is pretty low I guess lol.

6. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Did one better. Never created one to begin with. But not sure who everyone is trying to hide from.

AsiJu likes this.
  7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Several years ago a started to create one...got to the part where all of a sudden people who I did know and many I did not... all of a sudden started popping up as being automagically added as friends...WTF... Fullstop.... delete... gone.. bye.. bye...

AsiJu likes this.
  8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Never used facebook or any other social media site because i have a home phone, a mobile, email, and texts for when i cannot do it in person, so i never had the need to have what seemed like a unnecessary pointless middle man added to those things.

AsiJu likes this.
  9. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Created a fake one a few years ago, along with a fake Twitter account. Never used them for anything but contests and I stopped using them about 2 years ago. Since I don't have anything personal on either of them I'll just let them fester in the cloud.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Got accused of being overly complicated weirdo, for refusing to install WhatsApp. So I finally caved in, and the exact same thing happened! F*****0FF uninstall /ciao

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Who needs it when we got G3D Pub! ...

[​IMG]

:D

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Deleted mine back in 2013. I don't need everyone all up in my business.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That's a lot of likes for a dog :p :D

AsiJu, Guru01 and airbud7 like this.
  14. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Never had one to begin with.

15. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Deleted my frack book the end of last year, wasn't getting laid no more anyway. I do have Gmail and do use google maps, so I guess I'm F***ed anyway!!!o_O

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not have there my real info. And that what is based on real info is scrambled.
    I do not post there much of personal stuff, max photo of plant, cooking, game few times a year. (And all at private.)
    My usual use is politics discussion. And I still wonder when FB will block my account as they do with others used in similar fashion.

Deleting the thing is too much work and it would be win for those who like silencing unpopular opinions. Instead voicing it as I wish for as long as I can...

And anyway. There is no scandal, just talk. Everyone knew that when they provide service for free, they use you as their product and sell you.
    - - - -
    As for the google. They store any and every page you visit if they get to that information. They store any activity you done on your android phone as long as you have google account active there. Same goes for your location and how long you were there. Information about us goes on and on. You can show those directly collected data about you in your google account. What they will not show you is metadata they got from it based on pattern recognition/AI.
    - - - -
    While intrusive for some, beneficial for others. You set up google account for your kids and you know where they are based on their phone location. You can check QR codes they scanned in shops and so on. So you are spy of your own to their benefit. It is a tool, if they use it for something good/bad is up to them. But same goes for you.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And I'm already being spied on during work! Damn you FB! :D

On a more serious note, I do have a fb account which I visit maybe twice a month? Nothing from me on there, I don't log in from my cell phone etc. Only got it because my relatives in Canada are blind and practically incorporated fb to be their main communication platform. Which is utterly disturbing tbh, but that's the people that don't care about privacy.

So to keep in touch with them it's easier to have a fb account than to call them, and cheaper.

Makes me want to puke.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Never had one, so in a way is cathartic to find that your hunch, your gut feeling, and tinfoil attitude were right from the start.
    But I am far from harm's way, I still have Gmail and Whatsapp account, so I am pretty easy to snoop.
    The plan is to switch to Proton mail, which offers also a nice VPN and Telegram.

AsiJu and BetA like this.
  19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    you cant delete your facebook account.
    The Data you produced wont be deleted, it will still be used for whatever shady big data buisness they are doing..Also, DONT FORGET WHATSAPP is FACEBOOK, they got you right at the nuts baby..
    In germany are discussions about it, its kinda against the law giving all the numbers in your phone to facebook/whatsapp. Normaly you would have to ask each person in your phonebook if its ok to give facebook theyr number, wich u can guess is kinda hard..And to be honest i do think it should not be allowed. I DONT WANT THEM TO KNOW MY PHONENUMBER, and people are just too stupid to think about stuff like that.
    I could talk a lot more about it, but its early in the morning and i dont wanna kill my mood for today :)

So, better dont make an account at all..
    AND use something like ublock or umatrix so those facebook like buttons dont get info from you, even if your not on facebook..

Oh, and for the Android users, USE XPRIVACYLUA!!! give them fake data ;)

i never liked Facebook. I allways knew they are using all data they can get theyr hands on..
    Most people just dont know how bad such stuff can end for you..

Oh, heres something interessting for you guys :)

https://twitter.com/dylanmckaynz/status/976368845635035138

and if you think google is better, pfffff..

https://twitter.com/iamdylancurran/status/977559925680467968

1984 baby....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    lucidus likes this.
  20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't like Social Media in general since it feels like most people use it to get attention they didn't get when they were kids or make up for all the time their mommy didn't love them. Even worse is the shopping of images to greatly enhance a person which in reality isn't as beautiful as the image suggests. Or just post pictures of amazing things (maybe even fake ones) to tell a lie of how great the persons life is when it in reality is quite mundane. Social media is a way of boosting something based on lies and it's terrible since youngsters, who don't know how to spot these lies, believe in them and therefore seek to reach some kind of übermench status (which is obviously impossible since nobody is perfect) which will ultimately destroy them. "I got more likes than you" "Yes me to" "Lol, nobody likes you" "Haha lol, you suck" = things like this would destroy a child.

Talking about FB in general it's mostly littered with crap videos like "tag a mate who would puke after seeing this" or "You wouldn't believe what happened next...". There's a lot of commercials too and it seems that people don't post "normal stuff" any longer and have moved that to Instagram which is the place where you'll find all baby pictures, beautiful sunsets and stuff like that. Problem with FB is that so many people have it (it's like a human race catalog) so if I want to find a distant cousin or whatever, chances are this person will be on FB. I have a lot of contacts with ppl on Messenger because of this fact and since I cannot force anyone to use e.g. WhatsApp, then I'm stuck with FB. Luckily I don't use it very often.

AsiJu and fantaskarsef like this.