Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix 11GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2017.

1. baasgene

baasgene Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    Cool will do a similar loop tonight and have a look when I get home from work, but it's obvious you got screwed on the silicon lottery with that one haha! Your MSI Gaming X was a good sample at least, it seems that the Ti is even more sensitive to high clocks than the 1080 was. Most online techs only got up to 2038mhz stable, some of them 2050mhz. I should count myself lucky with this one.

2. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Hey Hilb, it seems like this thread is also being linked by the Gigabyte GTX 1080ti review

3. ddferrari

ddferrari Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I know that I'm way late to this party, but has no one else noticed that in the GPU-Z shot on page one, the ROPs/TMUs spec is 96/298?? All other 1080 Ti's sport a 88/224 spec. WHAT IS THIS CARD? Even the Titan V wasn't out when this article was written in March 2017!!

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It could be an error with GPU-Z, it has happened in the past, I remember with my GTX 460 it reported incorrect value for the pixel fillrate until it was fixed with a new version of GPU-Z.

Rhodus likes this.

5. Rhodus

Rhodus Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Strix 8G
    Hello this is not true, you can replace the fans cheaply and easily. Without having to disassemble the card.
    The fans are also easily purchaseable using the corresponding model # or the amazon links in the video description >>>

6. ddferrari

ddferrari Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    That's likely it. But I'm surprised that Hilbert didn't notice this, being that he manually listed the specs in the paragraphs directly above the GPU-Z screenshot. I have the Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme, which comes stock with slightly higher clocks than this Asus, and many of the specs on his screenshot are higher:
    [​IMG] VS MINE [​IMG]

Sorry- I couldn't find a similarly sized image- but look at the whopping difference in both the pixel and texture fillrates!

EDIT: Based on the screenshot and all the missing info (such as die size, transistors, etc) I should have known that GPU-Z was not updated for this card. Sorry to wake an old thread! BTW, my card is still performing flawlessly. So happy I upgraded before the mining craze.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  7. Rhodus

Rhodus Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Strix 8G

The card was a review card that was easily and VERY likely reviewed by another reviewer.

If you guys thought that review sites and you tubers get brand new hardware they do not. They get placed in a queue and the hardware goes around.

Asus could have 200 review cards, they will re ship those endlessly as long as they are working (although sometimes they will ship them broken too I.E. if Linus dropped it and broke it, whoever gets it after him gets a broken card :v )

With that said....

I doubt Asus is at fault and it was easily set to the OC mode by a previous reviewer.
    Also if you buy a OC edition card.... why would you not use the Overclock mode? I don’t see the big deal. This is not a marketing scheme, otherwise they would ship all their cards in over clock mode, word of mouth sells better. I know some people who’ve said ASUS sucks because their overclock edition came down clocked... like dude just press the button on the software .___.

Too much drama Guru 3D is more likely to have pressed it to generate a buzz, than ASUS...

8. darkvader75

darkvader75 Member

GPU:
    7900XTX on Water
    Actually its 100% true. I owned a Asus Fury Strix that they had used custom unavailable and sold under false numerics fans. Your 1070 video is nice and lucky that they didn't screw you over too. But still buyer beware as you will never know when they do this again.