Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 vs. Celeron N3450 Benchmarks With Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    It looks a lot like MS has optimized heavily in Edge and their own software to get this off the ground.
    Photoshop though, that is terrible.
    Wasn't Adobe Creative Suite one of the Poster childs of this Windows on ARM project ?

Way too expensive for what it is.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    so/so

On other hand it is not where ARM architecture shine...
    And where it shine there is already plenty of OSes that already can communicate with Windows if you need it.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But to my understanding ARM processor can`t execute x86 code. So the phrase "Snapdragon 835 isn't performing well good with x86 programs" puzzles me.

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Plus,Snapdragon is not made it for PC apps.On mobiles he's good SoC.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Snapdragon is made to be low powered, which correct me if I'm wrong but it does great at that compared to the Celeron?

One thing that I find impressive, is whatever Microsoft has made to run x86 apps on ARM it shows pretty decent results, and apps are actually more than usable! I would love to see this done on say Tegra x1? Or heck, even the Snapdragon 945.

On another note, the Snapdragon 835 can play Rocket League! I mean, not the greatest settings but it can play it!

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    ARM in general prioritizes efficiency over performance. There's a reason Intel dropped out of the mobile market - they couldn't compete in terms of performance-per-watt. Some of this has to do with scaling issues, where x86 becomes really inefficient once you go below a certain clock speed, and it also had to do with Intel not understanding the demands of this market. From my own observation, ARM starts to become less efficient than x86 once you get toward the 2GHz+ mark; it scales-up very poorly, while x86 scales down very poorly.
    Think of it like a car engine:
    A 1.6L engine can get great fuel economy, but isn't that powerful. You can get it to compete with the performance of a 3.0L (for argument's sake, same exact engine design, just bigger), but after you add all the turbos, additional cooling, and higher revs, the 3.0L is the more efficient one. Meanwhile for the 3.0L, you can only lower the RPMs so much before it lugs or stalls, and yet it still won't get better fuel economy. It is important to note that fuel economy and efficiency aren't the same thing.

Anyway, from what I remember, Windows' ARM performance is a bit underwhelming. The OS is too heavy and revolved around a lot of the instruction sets that x86 offers, that ARM doesn't. I personally intend to get Asus' laptop with the Snapdragon 835, but I intend to put Linux on it due to having decades of ARM-specific optimizations. Also, Linux runs much leaner, which helps with the limited RAM.
    That's pretty cool, I didn't know about that.

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It should be the newer 845 snapdragon inside to be more competitive. :)

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Austin Evans got it running on the HP he reviewed with SD835, pretty cool stuff!

10. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Read the link. Chrome runs as an emulated application, while Edge runs native. Basically, essential Microsoft applications can run Natively on ARM.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Might be worth looking into Chromium - it's basically the open-source telemetry-free version of Chrome. There are ARM ports of it for Linux, so in theory you should be able to port it to Windows too, if someone hasn't done so already.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    What, so MS decide what runs natively, and what doesn't ?
    They must have gimped it somehow.....;)

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No, the developer has to include arm support if they want arm support.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    So google didn't include ARM support ? I find that strange....or i'm not understanding it right. :)

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Probably not an executable ARM version for Windows yet. Could possibly release one sooner or later, but this kind of seems like the only product like it...

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I would bet that somehow Edge will be the only browser 'optimized' for WinARM, but then again, i'm jaded like that ;)

I really don't see this taking off, Atom chips were supposed to be low power, and actually work really well when configured properly.

(Sort of off topic below):
    I just recouped a Acer Aspire E11, dual core atom with N2840. Changed the 2GB of Kingston RAM for 8GB of RAM, and replaced the something-rpm 500GB HDD with a 120GB mSATA SSD (in a 2.5" adaptor) and I am so surprised at how responsive and fast it is.
    It seems better than my old Athlon x2 laptop with SSD and 4/8GB RAM.
    Will have to run some tests on it to compare it and the WinARM stuff, like PC Mark 8 and such.... I have Win10 installed via USB key, and btw, it still activates for free. No need for a licence.
    I did a fresh install of Win10, as it wouldn't let me upgrade. Kept the partition layout though, so the key might be hidden in one of the OEM partitions, but I doubt it.

17. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    It's a matter of time and matter of will of ARM manufacturers. At the moment platform is not even released and din't gain even zero popularity. If ARM manufacturers will make more ARM processors, especially desktop and laptop-class processors, then it could gain some popularity. Then Google will thinks of making ARM version for Windows. For smaller devs it's not a big problem, as Visual Studio has ARM Win32 compilator since few years. Sure with popularity qt, delphi, free pascal etc will get support for ARM-Win32 compilation as well. For now it's just JIT x86-to-ARM translator.

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I would have just thought that google, of all the companies out there, would have the resources and the time, to have a working version for WinARM....
    Just seemed a bit fishy to me....

19. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    It is an ARM architecture, so applications that can talk ARM run natively, the ones that cant talk ARM have to run in emulation mode. Easy enough?

20. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I was pointing out that Chrome should have an ARM compatible version by now, since it is used in many ARM devices (Android phones?), including Chromebooks iirc. Easy Enough ? ;)