[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm on Windows 10 Pro v1709 Build 16299.309 and this morning I noticed a message in the Notifications from Windows Update about failed installs. So I clicked on it and it opened Windows Update which was prompting me to Install 17 different drivers, mostly for Intel chipsets but also NVIDIA driver v390.77 even though I am using v391.05!!!

Anyway, thinking it was something to do with Meltdown updates, I clicked Installed and Windows Update proceeded to work its way through the 17 updates, reporting that a newer driver was installed and that it would try again later. I rebooted then re-ran the check for Windows Update. It reported all updates were up to date.

Weird issue. Has anyone else come across this? My PC has been working fine for as long as I can remember with no usual crashes, blue screens or anything like that so I can't think what could have triggered this bug (if it is a bug?) which leads me to think it is some kind of 'hiccup' at Microsoft's end. It wouldn't be the first time, right?

2. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    ^^
    yep I already see unfortunately, so for this and more some strange behaviour I can downgrade to W8.1 until 2023 or same with W7 until 2020; this history about Windows 10 always BETA I dont support more :mad:;)

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I just upgraded from 1703 to 1709 last night.
    I did turn on driver updates so any MS drivers got updated ok (I expected a new display driver).
    Took a long time downloading and installing (over an hr) and I got a message some security update couldn't be installed while upgrading to 1709 and windows would try in the background.
    .Finally, it upgrades after many reboots and no new display driver but no mouse or KB working.
    It updated the ASMdedia driver 1.16.41.3 to 1.16.45 which are broken for many users.
    Had to move Kb/mouse to Intel ports and update to the ASMedia 1.16.50.1 which does work.
    Then it said I am needing more updates so ran those, everything seems ok after resetting all my settings that got changed.
    "Seems" to be working ok.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Does anyone know what Intel Access Technology is?

I installed the driver for my motherboard a couple of months ago after reading someone on here claim that it improved performance in games. When I noticed no difference I decided to uninstall it but since then Device Manager shows an Unknown Device which even the automatic update cannot find drivers for. I Google-d this and found that by pointing to a folder in ProgramData (can't remember which, sorry) that a driver *was* found and installed.

Problem is that this device was not showing as unknown before I installed the Intel Access Technology driver so why can I not remove it now without it showing an unknown device in Device Manager?

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    It's a driver for notebooks.
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/83226

Try uninstalling "unknown device" from device manager, in safe mode, delete any folders associated with it, if any, run Ccleaner "registry" cleaner.Reboot back into safe mode and see if it's still there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    HK-1 and Darren Hodgson like this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Darren Hodgson Or you can simply disable device in Device Manager and forget about it.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ITA driver may help fix stuttering in some games (like Ryse). I had it installed on my old system.

Yeah just delete the device if it appeared after ITA. IIRC ITA package installs some security related stuff as well.

Could be some virtual device related to that.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Try something like Driver Easy, it will look up the device ID and get the driver for it.

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, I can DL it from the link I posted.
    I was just wondering if others are getting it, as I checked WU but nothing is shown.

BTW, If I do DL the update, what do I choose to open with windows update standalone installer(default) option in DL window to run it?

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the stand-alone installer although I prefer to download it to disk and then run it but it's the same in effect. :)

It won't show up on Windows Update here but I guess it's slowly propagating through the different servers and regions? Effect is the same however it's installed though but from Windows Update it'll do a delta comparison and download what's needed before building the installation and setting things up whereas this is a flat 700 or so MB download for the full archive.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    yeh, I am in USA EST so maybe it takes a bit of time.
    I normally don't check till next day and am in no rush so will wait for it through WU.

15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Keep checking for updates but it cant seem to find .334.

Im on .309.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Same here, it just says up to date, you can DL standalone if you want.

18. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Thank you so much for sharing this! This update finally worked for me! (KB4088776/16299.309 forced my desktop into a restart loop for a couple of times no matter if updated via Windows Update or manually, only for Windows to revert the update after a couple of auto-restarts, with this new one everything is fine).

19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    How stable has this OS gotten in terms of gaming? Still stutters on games like bf1? I've tried this os and the previous creators update in the past and wasn't impressed. Gaming was mostly a stuttery mess when I tried it. Especially bf1 and the witcher 3. Also noticed some weird hitching in gta 5 which wasn't present in 1607. I've been using 1607 enterprise until now which has been great but I just got a popup from Microsoft stating support will be cut on the 10th of next month. Trying to figure out which to upgrade to; this or maybe wait for rs4 stable release. I've also tried rs4 and it seemed kinda clunky but maybe improved now that it's towards final release. Anyone want to share their experiences?

20. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Do a clean install of RS4 when its released.

RzrTrek likes this.