Nvidia Geforce GameReady 391.24 Driver Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Mar 20, 2018.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They should not since it's only the user part of driver used by FF which is crashed during this.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Right, that is what I meant, I think I saw screen flash for a second, but I only noticed it once were event viewer said it happened few times, anyway I haven't gotten it in last week, but its good to see fixes in for it.

3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Pubg sli broken, i read it somewhere els?

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    While I agree with you that the NVIDIA control panel's user interface looks depressingly dated after using for so many years (didn't it first appear in the days of Windows XP?), I am more frustrated with the poor profile management that means you have to use a third-party tool such as NVIDIA Inspector or the SLI Profile Tool (which I use) to backup and edit profiles.

The default profiles contain many errors such as incorrect game names, missing executables or wrongly named ones (many of which have been there for years!) and unless you back up the profiles prior to installing a new driver then you often lose custom settings such as those for forcing MSAA/SGSSAA or ambient occlusion via specific flags. While I don't do it for every driver install, I do carefully go through an exported TXT copy of the new profiles and use Notepad++ to compare and edit any changes into the backup of my profiles that I made. It's time consuming but given the lack of any kind of backup/restore feature in the NVIDIA control panel this is the only way I can ensure that my settings are retained between driver updates.

I really wish NVIDIA would revamp the control panel and add advanced options so that I don't have to keep manually editing the profiles myself. It is 2018 after all so these things should really be standard by now IMO.

G*addict, Cyris and -Tj- like this.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    There is flickering with directx 12 in the benchmark, quite severe however directx 11 is fine

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While I mostly agree with you any NV user has to be happy to even have the chance to download something like the Inspector / Profile manager in the first place. They could kill it off in an instant without any reason given. Last time when I used AMD GPUs (which is some years ago) there wasn't even anything remotely comparable. So for now I still enjoy the old control panel to the one I had with AMD tbh.

-Tj- likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Hi all, new member.

I'm trying to figure out if this guy ever talks about things he actually has a clue about? AFAICT from reading as a guest for some time, he never has......

The user mode part of the driver is not loaded concurrently for every application using the graphics driver, there is one instance of it which interacts with the kernel layer and then the engines of the gpu. when the user mode driver 'resets' it has actually told the kernel portion to reset the graphics device at either an engine level or the hardware itself.

Windows 7, which is where this specific TDR issue exists (so im not sure of why this guy continues commenting on the issue anyway being he doesn't use 7) doesn't support partial resets, and even if it did the applications using DirectX which do not handle graceful device removal will crash.

Firefox does handle it
    Many games being made even today do not.

When TDR occurs on windows 7, it is not just a 'flicker' of the content area, but a complete reinitialize of the driver including active screens going dark and coming back up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep the UI dates back to XP days, IIRC introduced with ForceWare drivers (that succeeded Detonator drivers).
    It works but lacks QoL features like profile renaming, saving and importing settings etc.
    Well in theory if you overwrite a previous install and do not select clean install the settings should stick but that's hardly an optimal driver install method.

AMD revamped their CPL layout with the release of Radeon Software drivers and ditched the old Catalyst look, NV should follow suite.

9. tiliarou

tiliarou Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980M
    We should be happy that someone coded a tool to allow consumer to use their card to their full potential while the manufacturer should have implemented the said tool on his own in the first place ?! Absolutely not.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It exists in all Windows supported by current Firefox releases and I'm talking about Win10 which I'm using obviously.

Next time you'll want to start writing on some forum with personal attacks be sure that you have enough information to not look like an idiot.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I haven't had a firefox TDR for some time now - I'm always at retail FF channel, last time I saw it was with some 387.xx, actually I first saw them frequently by RS3 update.

Then one more, but nasty flash hw bsod with first 390.69?, 390.77 fixed this.

Didn't see any of it since, and I always use hw acceleration in browser.

Those still not having it fixed, is your vram factory OC'ed or manually OC'ed?

I also read once setting to adaptive instead of default optimal power plan fixes it too.. idk i always preferred adaptive over optimal, maybe thats why i didn't see it as much.. although now I use optimal too. I think.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Don't think I've had a FF TDR ever. Not even Flash / HW acceleration related crashes.

Clearly an issue though as it's stated as fixed (and therefore acknowledged by NV) but seems to depend on system.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

You mistake an observation noted against your post history and lack of comprehension on particular matters out of your depth as a personal attack, which is only to your own detriment. Much like a politician really.

If you're not on windows 7, you're not affected by this particular issue Tj, Windows 8 and 10 appear to handle accelerated firefox just fine without TDR's under the same conditions.

The driver model itself has some significant changes between 1.1 and 1.2 that eradicated some TDR triggers, plus Advanced Layers, which antagonises the existing issue further is only fully implemented on 8+, and on 7 has to use some additional batch passes to pull off the same functionality.

I've been following the thread on the nvidia forums for a while now, and was hoping the issue fixed with the update from Manuel Guzman, but it seems not having reproduced it with the blacklist workaround provided on there.

AsiJu and -Tj- like this.
  14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nvidia removed SLI support a couple of driver versions ago.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Funny, this is exactly what a politician caught with his pants down would say. Do me a favor and keep your observations to yourself in the future because I certainly don't give an F about them, and their value is clearly about zero as I've already shown in my previous reply.

But it's always great to see my fans registering (alt) accounts specifically to say nice things about me.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Considering your frequent misinformation and anti self-growth attitude is toxic to the community, more people should speak up about it.

You have a serious Projection issue going on really, "It's everyone else with the problem"

Jump on google for a few hours and research the things you plan to let escape your mouth.

Sedona UI was introduced with Vista, because the changes to the control panel structure made the Display Settings part of the explorer UI, and getting to the classic cp would take more clicks to access.

There was just little point in having two different interfaces so it got brought to XP at the same time and additions and changes continued with the new UI.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I still wouldn't trade the chance to edit my profiles in a 3rd party program vs. AMD's UI revamp. Function over form for me, but to each their own. If you are upset you're free to choose another GPU manufacturer with a driver that lets you use a nicer UI.

18. chuchicoupe

chuchicoupe Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti GX3
    Firefox TDR here too... no fixed. Install and clean reinstall

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You should at least try to not look like an asshole while doing this though. Maybe then more people would actually believe you when you say something like "AFAICT from reading as a guest for some time, he never has......" and then straight up fail to notice that I'm using Windows 10 for almost three years now. Go figure, reading skills issue maybe?

Thank you, should I pay up now for this therapy or will you bill me later?

Well, it's good to know the extent of your knowledge about "things" which you so desperately want to educate everyone here on while also continuing your baseless personal insults.

You are the only toxic part of this community at the moment.

20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Yeah, I’m on Windows 7 but haven’t tried this driver yet. I’m always on official Firefox releases. Twitch on Firefox is a guaranteed trigger at some point for it to crash the driver. No Flash installed at all.