Review: ASUS Strix Fusion 500 Headset

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We take the ASUS Strix Fusion 500 gaming headset in for review. The headset is advertised with the introduction of an ESS 9018 DAC and Sabre 9601K Amplifier. The Fusion 500 isn't, however, wireless, ...

Review: ASUS Strix Fusion 500 Headset

airbud7 likes this.
  2. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Overpriced. No aux, not wireless, so no xbox or mobile capabilities, plenty of options out there for that kind of money

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Pricing aside , ASUS made a seriously slick looking headset with the sound quality to back it off. Kudos to them!

No need to replace my HyperX Cloud II for the time being tho. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  4. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    How can you tell they are overpriced without even looking at frequency response chart? Then, they come with internal sound card, which adds a lot into price as well. Well, it's PC headsets, so they don't have to be wireless or mobile.

But, for that price i would go with Sennheiser PC350 Game Zero.

5. Paradoxx

Paradoxx Member

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX 580
    Just a heads up, the Steelseries Arctis Pro come with the ESS Sabre 9018 DAC too

maikai likes this.
  6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This isn't a headset made for Xbox?

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @coth
    Pretty much resembles a senn can, maybe even made by them.

8. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Hence why I said there are plenty out there for that kind of money to chose from, but also offer xbox and mobile support as well. Mentioned right in the article itself is the frequency response rate which is the same as 99% of every "gaming" headset out there, not to mention the steelseries arctic pro actually has a higher frequency response rate just to name one and you even mentioned one yourself with a better response rate that's also cheaper. Never the less the official page for these say 20-40khz yet if u look at the spec page it says 20-20, so they don't even know themselves. The corsair RGB Pro can be had for $100 less, the Creative Sound BlasterX H7 can be had for $80 less and also has a built in dac. So considering these are aimed almost solely at pc gamers, those who will spend this kind of money probably already have either decent onboard audio and or a add in soundcard making these, over priced

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  9. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    not even close

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @maikai
    lol. frequency range/response etc, doesn't tell you much about sound quality.
    i can have a cheap no name doing 20-20000 hz, and a sennheiser/sony whatever doing the same. you think they will produce the same sound??

11. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    That's besides the point, its what they list and measure it at, so it is what it is. Also sound is completely subjective. The freaking software doesn't even work correctly. These should be priced $30 less, nothing makes these worth upwards of $100 more than the competition plain and simple, its obvious to tell they are charging an abundant amount for the gimmicky RGB feature

12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Exactly what it does. Unless you mixed up frequency range specification with frequency response test. Second is a measurement done with expensive professional equipment.

And this kind of reviews are pointless without frequency response test. It's like reviewing video card by its design - looks cool, has rgb lighting and it's "pretty decent for gaming" without any fps measurements.

13. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    @coth
    Dude do you have a stake in ASUS or what? Its over priced, you don't own them so you're just talking out your wahoo at this point to justify the price. I seriously don't get it. Then you completely disregard this entire review, so you're basically here to just argue for arguments sake. I'm done here, I actually made my point

14. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    you don't own them and you saying they are overpriced. there are headphones with far better sound and far higher price without any mic, bluetooth, sound card, etc. are these also overpriced. and as i said - for that price you can likely get better without internal sound card. therefore i'm not favoring them. but i'm saying - your point of judging headphones by design and functions is wrong. dynamics that are most important. you don't know what they are and how are they perform, but you judging about the price.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @coth
    Nope, didnt mix it up.
    Frequency range tells you exactly that, the range, nothing more.
    Without knowing more specs, you cant tell SQ, period.
    And i know sound is a personal thing, quality isnt.
    I dont need 10k equipment to make me hear the difference in SQ between cans that have a THD of 0.05 % and one that does 1.0.
    And that doesn't even take the can design into account, which affects the sound as well, and why even the same driver can sound different in different type of HP (open vs closed).