Remember Me

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nanogenesis, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Time for some thread necromancy.

I stopped playing this game at the time because I was having performance issues and it really bothered me. I have a new rig and I was looking through my games and remembered this one, no pun.

The previous links are down, but is there is a better way to mod this game now rather than using Texmod which is clunky and cumbersome to say the least? I can't stand film grain.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    GeDoSaTo should work in theory, dump the textures and save the two film-grain ones as transparent blank files.

I haven't used GeDo in a long time though as unfortunately I'm not sure if it's AMD's new drivers changing how scaling works or if it's the newest version of GeDo itself but I can't use the program properly anymore to downsample as it will render to 1/4th of the screen with the rest being black, was hoping for Durante to (eventually) update the program and hopefully fix this if possible but I'm not sure how widespread the issue is or more importantly when Durante himself will come back to active GeDo development, some few updates have been done to implement a frame rate limiter but it's been fairly inactive for a few months now.
    (Not too surprising since he's so busy with work and with solutions like Nvidia DSR offering a adequate and easy solution for downsampling that also works in 64-bit games and for other API's like D3D11)

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Can you give step by step instructions for using the textures with GeDoSaTo I've never used textures with it before.

It's stuttering all over the place with the card going into low power mode and the audio always crackling. Great, time to figure it out.

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    GeDoSaTo uses a different hash from TexMod but the process is otherwise the same though without knowing the name/hash that GeDo assigns the two noise textures it's not possible to just copy over the modified files from TexMod.

In GeDoSaTo.ini or GeDoSaTo_user.ini this has to be set to true:

enableTextureOverride

This allows GeDo to load modified textures for the game.

To actually dump textures and thus getting access to the noise files this has to be set to true:

enableTextureDumping

When that is enabled GeDo will dump textures into the ./GeDoSaTo/Textures/Dump folder and a sub-folder which is named after the games exe file so "RememberMe" in this case.

It starts as soon as the game is started and usually causes a bit of a delay in how quickly the game starts, will also cause stuttering as it dumps the texture data.

The first noise file you can get immediately from the main menu but the one used in the actual game requires you to load a level so it will dump quite a few textures as it loads in all the data.

As I use IrfanView it's not possible for me to save the modified texture files into a proper .dds format (Can read .dds but I believe you need PhotoShop to actually be able to save the file as a .dds again as it's a licensed format.) though it will work as a TGA, PNG, JPG or BMP too albeit with some stuttering when the modified texture is first loaded.

The earliest attempts I did was to fill the modified texture into a single solid gray color, white I discovered would make the image brighter and black would make it darker so gray was used to try and balance it as close to the original image as possible.

Later on I found out it was possible to save the files as PNG with a alpha transparency layer, allowed me to save the file as a 1x1 pixel big image with nothing in it and this removed the noise effect without modifying the games brightness, also made loading the texture much quicker and with little to no stuttering.

Was a long time since I last attempted to modify a game like this though but I think I remember most of it. :)

So in short:

Enable texture dumping in the GeDoSaTo / GeDoSaTo_user .ini file

Start the game with GeDo and load a level, when possible as soon as the noise texture is visible pause and exit the game to try and minimize the amount of files that need to be browsed through.

Go to the ./Textures/RememberMe/Dump folder and find the noise texture files, it'll be a grayish image with alternating black & white spots like say salt & pepper pattern, around 64x64 or 128x128 in dimension if I remember correctly.
    (I use IrfanView to browse image files and textures such as .DDS but other programs work too as long as they can read the .DDS format, Paint.net or GIMP for example.)

What I did with the transparency layer was that I selected everything in the entire image and then deleted it thus blanking the texture, then I just saved it with a alpha layer for transparency to remove the effect entirely in-game.

Ensure that the GeDoSaTo setting to load modified textures is enabled and move the modified texture into the .\Textures\RememberMe folder and it should be used as a override for the original one the next time the game is started.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thanks for the detailed instructions, but I'm unclear about one thing, setting enableTextureOverride=true and enableTextureDumping=true in the ini. Which file is it exactly? In the config folder there's one with that name for each game and a generic one with most the instructions outside of the game folders. I tried both then ran the game but neither dumped any textures.

Oh and those original links are working after all, I don't know what happened the first time I tried it.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have never played games where you have to fight with kicks and punches (especially with attack combinations). Also I have played only 4 or 5 third person view games (shooters only). But this game had me. I walked it through twice experimenting with combos, I enjoyed the atmosphere.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If you liked this game DontNOD's second game Life is Strange is pretty good too. It's done in an episodic format and currently is up to Episode 3.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Thank you. I know about 'Life is strange' but it feels more like an exploration game, and if russian localization doesn`t exist gameplay in english will be too hard for me.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I just noticed it doesn't have Russian localization only English, and French currently if Russian is ever added I suggest picking it up. It's not really an exploration game (in fact it's more of do this, go here to progress the story), but a story driven narrative adventure game where your choices have consequences (I accidentally caused the death of a character because of choices I made).

10. brazzjazz

brazzjazz New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970Gaming4G
    I'm having the same issue as Neo Cyrus, no texture dumping happening (works with the "Hard Reset" game, for instance):

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's been years since I last used GeDoSaTo (It stopped being updated in early 2016 I believe.) but I wonder if it could have something to do with the games texture format or how it handles it's texture streaming even if the game itself is using a UE3 32-bit build and runs via DirectX 9 so it doesn't have the newer D3D10+ formats and other changes and improvements.
    (But I think GeDoSaTo only has one way of hooking into and dumping and reading textures so that might not work for this game then.)

I know there are texture mods for the game even if they are pretty few but I think that was done via utilities like TexMod or the newer uMod though both have a performance penalty from loading texture data in this way.

But I did make a noise filter for the game, crude initial version matching a grayscale texture to not alter the overall brightness in the game and then later on I dabbled on using transparency instead as I remember and that had the same results without affecting the brightness.

Now? Well I've tampered a bit with SpecialK to remove UI elements from games through shader tools though it's not the easiest to use and documentation is something that will come later on plus the shader tools work better for DX11 though DX9 is supported but the results might differ a bit. Program also handles textures which has been used by modders for Final Fantasy X and X-2, Nier Automata, Trails of Cold Steel and some other games plus settings for anything from Steam to input API's and graphics so it's pretty versatile but also quite complex, will be good when there's some more documentation available. :)

Come to think of it i wonder if changes to GeDoSaTo altered how it worked before it stopped being updated further, I know the injection method was changed to use a shim .dll to make it easier to unload and for overall compatibility and there was also problems with secure boot needing to be off due to the way appinit worked for the .dll files but if the software works in other games that's not the problem here.
    That might be it depending on what was changed in the program, really would have liked to see it supported further and support DX11 plus better compatibility with newer OS's and more fixes in general but real life I guess and then DSR and VSR from NVIDIA and AMD started offering downsampling as well though not as customizable.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So I take it that texture modding takes a bit of effort? Any other graphics mods for Remember Me?

I saw some modded screenshots of Remember Me and they looked good.

13. brazzjazz

brazzjazz New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970Gaming4G
    Hi Jonas, I got it to work with TexMod tool and your test.tpf, thank you very much! Does the tpf contain textures? Since it works without the "Out" folder and its textures... (???)

P.S. Below a fruit of my efforts, removed "film grain", plus ReShade (I employed a very subtle film grain effect instead, among other effects). Also increased FOV through ini hack.

P.S. This game would definitely benefit from a texture pack... ^^

[​IMG]

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes TexMod has the textures packed into a .TPF container so it doesn't need anything else. :)
    ReShade is a good addition, some film grain can be effective whereas the default in many games tends to be overblown in terms of strength whereas I personally think effects should add to the image, not take it over entirely as has happened with some effects which earlier it was bloom (Syndicate 2012 is a clear example of this.) and now it's chromatic aberration and film grain. They can work depending on the context they're used in, covering the entire screen and making it hard to see other details and even causing nausea as with chromatic aberration is not a good use. (Lords of the Fallen for example of chromatic aberration that's so strong the colors visibly split instead of just shifting a bit.)

Also agreed that a texture pack would be nice to have for the game, great art direction and a lot of different textures but not the highest resolution though it would be a very difficult undertaking, some of these projects can take years depending on complexity.
    (Resident Evil 4's HD texture mod is shaping up nicely but they are also finding the source textures Capcom used and then fixing up geometry with 3d models and even effects and other details.)

15. brazzjazz

brazzjazz New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970Gaming4G
    I hate the cheap, exaggerated bloom effect that comes along with many Unreal Engine 3 games, including Remember Me. MagicBloom of ReShade instead is a very good shader adding to most modern games - somehow it doesn't work with older games as it seems to have something to do with the light sources. I like both subtle film grain and subtle chromatic aberration (1 and 0.5 pixels in x and y direction), as it makes the visual impression somewhat more "filmy" as opposed to clean, sterile computer graphics. In some cases even slight chromatic aberration has overly impacted the sharpness, though. You can take a look at my presets here. https://sfx.thelazy.net/users/u/brazzjazz/

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    my name is prophet, remember me XD (and he shoots himself) sorry out of topic but this is what im reminded of.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Crysis 2?

ramthegamer likes this.
  18. Phil Resch

Phil Resch Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Hi, Jonas,

The zippyshare link doesn't work. Would be possible a reupload?

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Thankfully the Nexus network has a no grain mod for this game. :)
    https://www.nexusmods.com/rememberme/mods/categories/3/

My own attempt from how long back was fairly rough trying to from how I recall trying to balance a gray simple texture file to retain the overall brightness with decent but nowhere near perfect results so hopefully the other modes of reducing or negating the film grain entirely work much better.

Phil Resch likes this.
  20. Phil Resch

Phil Resch Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thanks! :)

I hate the grain effect in this game.