Firefox will not play video's on Twitter

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by KissSh0t, Mar 16, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Hello, I have been trying to figure this out for a few months and finally decided to see if anyone can help.

Video's on twitter used to play, but for the past few months they have not played, just shown a blank square, after tying to get some help on twitter yesterday I noticed today that the blank square had been changed to actually say please use another browser.

I usually use Waterfox, I have tried earlier versions of Waterfox, Firefox, new versions of both, I've tried the Developer Version of Firefox, and currently I'm using the Nightly build of Firefox, and they all will not play video's on twitter.

[​IMG]

I then found this page on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/html5/ which tells you what types of video the browser supports and then saw that Firefox does not support H.264 which doesn't make sense because the codec is installed in Firefox Plugins automatically.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure what to do so Firefox plays twitter video's again, the same is true for my laptop, Firefox on it won't play twitter video's too.

Adblock Plus is not installed, that was one of the first things I thought might be causing an issue.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Do they play if you type "mobile.twitter.com" instead?

You can also review about:config and type "media." and see what is not at default values.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    No, it just sits with the loading circle with a still image of the video.

When looking in config nothing really stood out, I haven't changed anything myself, it's just all whatever it is set to when doing a fresh installation which I did today.

[​IMG]

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you tried a clean install ? like also deleting AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ ?

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yes, both in roaming and local and also every registry value relating to Mozilla / Firefox.

I will give Cyberfox a try.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I did a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 then a fresh installation of Firefox, then logged into twitter, video's on the main twitter page don't play, but it didn't go grey with the message saying use a different browser, I then added the mobile part to the address and the video played... wtf..

I then checked the youtube video test page and now it supports h.264.

Sigh, what's going on.

*edit*

And now "some video's are working on Twitter.

This video works.

https://twitter.com/camposanto/status/974692938549673984

This video does not.

https://twitter.com/isleofdogsmovie/status/974800151112904704

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  9. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi KissSh0t,
    That's funny because both video's play for me, and i don't use flash player i use firefox quantum. So something else is wrong.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    both work fine for me. in FF59

I remeber when I use to have flash enabled or even set to ask to use some video would not work even if HTML 5 was enabled in FF. But i not had that issue in long time, as i refuse to install flash on my system, only thing that his is IE/Edge which are built in to it at this point

What about play DRM controlled content, is it enabled?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I give up at this point, I've tried everything, including that.

All other websites are working correctly now, it's just twitter acting strange.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this with clean profile no addons nothing? if it working for others using same browser and not you i would find strange, might be some addon you have? or some thing else on your pc? what about IE/Edge/Chrome?

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yes, clean OS + clean Firefox install, No Addons... it's only twitter, every other site is fine.

Chrome is fine, Opera is fine.

I've searched a lot trying to figure this out and there are a lot of people creating threads in various places on the net about Firefox + video's not working on twitter, at this point I just give up, there is obviously something about twitter that doesn't like Firefox.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    intresting it works for some people with FF and not for others. that would either be really strange bug in FF or even stranger bug in Twitter own code that effect random people using FF.

FF tracking blocking? is it always on, only private, never? i know that can brake things specially if the more restrictive version of it is used.

What about Third party cookies, I know if that disable, video will not work on some sites too

I have to enable it for some sites like dishanywhere and fox on demand and all those other sites or video wont work so i random enable it and some times leave enabled cause I forgot it was enabled just to disable it, Then Again I probably just leave it enable now cause i have set up cookieautodelete to delete all cookies not whitelisted after 2 seconds of leave the page

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018