MSI TF III 7970 fans not blowing enough air

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by JILD, Mar 12, 2018.

1. JILD

JILD Guest

GPU:
    MSI TF III
    Hi Guys,

Im having this problem, I upgrade my pc (motherboard, cpu and mems) but kept my Video Card, because they are really expansive atm, and my case... everything is working really fine but the VC's fans are not "working as they should"...

i used the Afterburner Software to manage the fans speed as always but somehow noticed that noice is not as loud as always while playing HoTS and i tab to check what was happening and found that GPU temp was 98C...... first time it got that high (is always around 80) and the rpm of fans was 2500 or something really close to that, i kinda feel, because noice, that they are not blowing enough air to be honest

Also, the gpu load is at 100% which is not normal for that game (80% tops)...

I installed new drivers and sotfware but nothing change... funny thing is that while idle temps are around 35C

PLEASE HELP!!!

CPU I7 8700
    MOBO ASUS ROG STRIX Z-370
    MEMS GSKILL RIPJAWS V SERIES 16GB
    GPU MSI TWIN FROZR III 7970

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Can you manually set the fans to higher speeds with MSi Afterburner?

3. JILD

JILD Guest

GPU:
    MSI TF III
    Yes, í manually set the fans to max speed using Afterburner and rpm is around 2500 at 100% speed (im almost sure thats half rpm needed) and tried to play but crashed few min later...

4. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    What CPU did you have before? If you are not frame capping, the 8700 can push out more frames per second than what probably you had before and thus putting more load on the GPU.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This.
    You simply putting more load on GPU with stronger CPU.

On software side you can enable V-Sync to limit fps to your monitor refreshrate, so GPU won't process "useless" frames.

On hardware side I can suggest to clean GPU, if you feel confident, take it apart, clean and reapply thermal paste.

If nothing works, just underclock / undervolt your GPU, so it won't overheat itself.

JILD likes this.
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Does all fans actually spin on GPU during load?

7. JILD

JILD Guest

GPU:
    MSI TF III
    PHENOM II X4 965 BE

8. JILD

JILD Guest

GPU:
    MSI TF III
    Ill give it a try with vsync but im not confident about the cleaning part :(

Yes, both fans spin at +-2500 rpm

9. JILD

JILD Guest

GPU:
    MSI TF III
    I did enable V-Sync and it worked... temps are now at 75C THANK YOU

I'm Guessing this will reduce performance right? i mean it is 60 fps tops so far

10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    It will not reduce performance. Since it's capping at 60FPS, your monitor is 60Hz and more FPS is a waste unless you are playing competitively. But then you would probably be using a 144Hz+ monitor. I would suggest using frame limiter instead of Vsync since it might introduce noticeable input lag unless the tearing is bad without it.

11. JILD

JILD Guest

GPU:
    MSI TF III
    Ok. thats nice to know.... whats Frame Limiter? a software or something?

12. JILD

JILD Guest

GPU:
    MSI TF III
    Ok i reaaaally dont know about this, FPS... HZ.... ETZ..., i have a LG D2343, how much more can i push this?

13. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Your monitor is 60Hz so you can limit the FPS to 60 or a bit lower. You can use FRTC from the Radeon Settings or MSI Afterburner (Rivatuner).

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    98°C, only way to get there is if heatsink has bad contact with GPU. Change thermal paste...

15. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    And improve the airflow in your case, had a 7970 before my vega and it did 75 fully maxed out with a thermal paste swap and decent airflow.