[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I updated my X79/IB-E desktop without issues. But I did it manually.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Updated my laptop with it and working fine. (Kaby Lake 7700HQ notebook)

3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    X79/SB-E updated through windows update.Only one thing but not sure if it's connected.
    After gaming I left the pc idle for about 5 mins, I have screen savers off and don't turn off display set. Touched the mouse and blue screened with IRQ not less than equal message instantly.
    Restarted, windows performed a chkdsk by itself on C: drive and proceeded to logon as usual.
    Disk management reported all drives as healthy so just turned off for the night.
    I did do a disk clean up, inclusive of winupdate files, after installing the update, rebooted and started gaming, so not sure it was the cleaning or not.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    This one was finally pushed to me via WU. So went straight from .125 to .309.
    In other words only now do I have the Spectre related patches for the first time ever.

So tested SSD performance and:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Within margin of error for sure. However I could have sworn the 4K test took notably longer post patch than pre...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.

5. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    also installed here no issues

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The patch seems to mainly affect high performance SSDs.

Also, SSD performance tanks when combined with CPU microcode; just windows patches alone without microcode seems to have negligible effect.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah. However IIRC some Ryzen users seemed to suffer a notable perf. hit with SATA drives as well when the first patch / CU was released.

For that reason I ran the pre test when this Meltdown/Spectre became known, to be able to compare.

Maybe this newer CU works better with Ryzen or the drops were due to something else to begin with.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The hit to 4k happened in the first meltdown patch, so if that was already patched, I don't see any new hit should be.
    I did a few tests and I actually got better results on some CPU tests with first meltdown patch, like cinebench, XTU etc, small change but still not decrease.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    So what CPU are you on, must be 4xxx+ to have cpu cache, I have 3570k@4.5.

I just flashed to updated bios as I was on old version 1206, now on 2104.
    I was thinking of trying 4.6 as I am doing 4.5@1.18-1.20v, I never really tried to find lowest voltage or highest speed.
    I am limited on cooling with 212evo, games like BF1 run around 60c, so I got a little room.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its a 4770K, 4.2ghz cache is somewhat its limit by reasonable voltage ~1.16v but yeah at higher cpu freq. and higher ram freq. it quickly becomes a limit, although 4 to 4.4ghz is basically nothing perf. wise, only by sintetic benchmarks.

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yeh, for my 3570k 4.2-4.3 is the sweet spot where performance is pretty good and voltage needed is like stock (1.112-1.130v) .I was messing around yesterday with 4.6 and while it seemed stable in things like cinebench, geeekbench, prime95 as soon as it started BF4 got stuck in menus, were buttons didn't work, that was at 1.23v or so and temps are 70c or so. It needs a lot more voltage just to do simple low load things.
    Probably my idle voltages need raising, or LLC, anyway performance wise not much gained after a certain point.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    My cpu is at 4.7Ghz @ 1.287v, but cache is a bit tricky if I go over 4.4Ghz, even 4.4G needs 1.25v+.. temps, well by most demanding games 52-69C, usually 60-64C e.g. The Division or GTA5 or COD BO3 - but this one has a glitch if over 90fps, all cpu threads go to 95-100% ~ 66-72C.

If I wanted more I would need beefier cpu cooler, still at corsair H90 (4yrs old)

Yeah saw that too few times.. Stable by x264fhd, real bench, aida,.. but failed in BF3 or was it BF4.

that's why I now test only games/benchmarks by OC,

-FFXV bench
    -Lostplanet2 - testb
    -Re5 dx9, re6 bench
    -ffxiv heavensward
    -DeadRising 3-4
    -quantumbreak
    -The division
    -gta5
    -Dying Light
    -BatmanAK

and few more, are all very cpu/ram OC sensitive and show it quickly too..

14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    mbk1969 and RzrTrek like this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    LocoDiceGR likes this.

16. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    RzrTrek likes this.
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All in all it does look like a release to uphold the release schedule more than anything else. Even 1709 had more interesting changes.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sets could've been a highlight. I'm not sure how much I would actually have used it but it would've been nice to have. Win10 1803 Didn't Create Anything Update lol. Stardock already delivered the feature to Win7 Sp1 and newer.

Anyway, I'm on RS1 but the latest update to onedrive was causing flickering of my taskbar whenever the file picker was invoked or file/folder properties were opened the first time during a session. I had to uninstall the darn thing, merely signing out didn't do it 100%. I hope it gets fixed soon. I'm not impressed at all by the quality of their work for the past year or so ....

19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

Everything was running fine up until last week, but now every time I want to browse through my files, etc. the url bar will load indefinitely and I've to restart explorer.exe for it to go away.

I reinstalled my computer with RS3 and everything ran flawlessly, then I got an update (probably last weeks cumulative patch) installed, rebooted and the problem was back.

Is anyone else having these kind of issues or am I experiencing some kind of hardware failure? I will keep troubleshooting with different updates, drivers and programs irregardless.

Edit: I went back to the stable branches from Steam (beta) and SteamVR (beta) and everything started working again, no more delays in Windows, what the heck...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Anyone know if it's still possible to revert back to Windows 7 from Windows 10?

Asking for a friend of mine... :p

Edit: nvm, my friend told me W7 doesn't play nicely with Ryzen...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018