Review: G.Skill Sniper-X DDR4 3600 MHz (16GB Dual Channel)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Granzon likes this.
  2. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    Hilbert, i have a 8700k with a maximum x hero, and a pair of 16gb stick (dual rank) trident z at 3400 with properly tweaked timing and subtiming and i can break 50k in aida and stay under 43 ns latency. those results at 3600 doesn't seem so high to me

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Your timings?

4. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    15-16-16-34 - 290 - 42000 or 44000 at 3400mhz, other sub i don't remember but pretty much the same as xmp one's
    edit 45ns latency , 2T

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    And herein the answer is found. Faster timed (more expensive) memory will result in that.

6. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    yes but the point is that i dont think that my 3200 kit is better binned then those 3600 stick, so i gues something is messed up in the timings

7. Pixrazor

Pixrazor Guest

GPU:
    Sapphirre R9 Fury N
    So now we don't tweak our dram anymore? we just buy the highest pre-tested speed from a manufacturer for a kidney and we are good lol...
    I am sorry but why don't you try to tweak the timings and overclock just to see if...
    For the love of hardware, peace.

8. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    this ^^
    Tweaking ram can be tedious but just a quick setup of few parameter can be enough to obtain substantial gains

9. Voodoo Jungle

Voodoo Jungle Guest

GPU:
    HD6850
    Hi! Thanks for using Thaiphoon Burner software for your review! But you seem to have used a very old version of the software, the part number of DRAM chips is wrong. They are based on C-die, not M-die. I would recommend you to update Thaiphoon Burner version to the latest one 12.1.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Its not what it used to be and getting worse all the time.

Going from CL 3 to CL 2 and 400mhz to 420mhz back in the day would result in some pretty crazy results because as a percentage those numbers really matter a lot.

Today you could be working like crazy to go from CL 19 to CL 18 and 3800mhz to 3820mhz and outside of benchmarks never even notice.

If we ever get to the point where CL 25 and 5000mhz become typical, tweaking wont even get you beyond margin of error in benchmarks.

11. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    yep, that is so true. Probably related to tecnology. 15 years ago there were cpu that was able to run 50 or 100% faster then their standard clock, with gigantic gain , in proportion. Actual cpu are magnitude faster but such overclock perf are simply unthinkable :)

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Those timings are atrocious, definitely not samsung B-die ICs.

It costs 234 USD which is really not a good deal considering you can find trident C16 kits for 10 USD less.

Several reasons, with time being number 1 factor.

It can take a few days to find 1000% stability with a certain ram OC.
    HH definitely does not have time to do that for every kit.

Having a quick 'dirty' OC does not mean much because it would likely be unstable in real world tests.

Also, ICs have varying qualities.

Out of the two dimms you get, the other could be a dud in comparison to the other.

So guaranteed OC will vary kit to kit(meaning others could not just set timings and voltage and expect total stability from a review)

Fox2232 likes this.
  13. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    €189 = NZ$319.69 which is not far off what they are actually priced at here $359.00NZD

I cant help but think though if only manufactures worked on bringing timing numbers down more rather than just pooping out a faster MHz speed to compensate for crappy timings .... imagine if you would DDR4-3200MHz @ CL 5-5-5-9