NVIDIA P102-100 GPU Spotted For Crypto - has 3200 shader cores and 5GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, cut down memory connection and no graphics outputs? This seems to be a card that is truely aimed at miners. Not the worst of moves considering the market situation.

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Probably a smart move, make separate mining cards from actual graphics cards. Can be made with same process with tweaks.
    How long it will take before this helps the situation idk. If even true but don't see why not.

"These cards will get one month warranty" Haha :D

I also think GPU makers should start programming firmware or drivers for graphics cards so that they don't run mining software at all to really help resolve the situation.
    Only mining accelerators run mining software. So in other words mining cards would use a separate driver / firmware branch that is not compatible with actual graphics cards and vice versa.

Shouldn't be too much effort either, make a mining branch from geforce drivers that only supports mining devices.
    Obviously sophisticated enough so that .inf modding or BIOS hacking isn't possible.

Otherwise miners will still buy graphics cards if mining accelerators are unavailable etc.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Clawedge likes this.
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh yes, lets limit what our graphics cards are capable of doing because of selfishness among gamers. Totes makes sense brah.

Man you guys sure do think up some screwed up things, and not even realize how screwed up it is.

Time and time again people want to do more with what they buy, and are pissed off when companies specifically make a product not be able to do something it otherwise should be able to do.

But hey, when its your own selfishness coming to the door, who cares about all that right? You throw it all away for your own selfishness.

And how exactly do you expect them to not run "mining software"? Or, wait, you're one of those people who probably don't understand what mining is, how many different algorithms there are, how they'd have to block each one (screwing up their gaming performance along the way) all to stop what? Nothing, because then they'd use a previously unknown algorithm, or one they just made?

Or, do you want them to simply...stop doing math on GPUs? Yeah, good luck with that.

lol, yeah that pretty much sums up your whole post. Not knowing how difficult something would be, how much harm it'd do, and then "shouldn't be too much effort"

You know it's also funny that gamers think that GPU miners (which for clarification sake i do not do, i find it to be too costly for the profits) are happy that it's both hard and expensive to buy GPUs as well. As if GPU miners wouldn't benefit from a better supply then what has been being given out.

So what, GPU miners come into play, create a lot more demand, and now it's up to nvidia and AMD to step up their game to provide it. But hey, lets not blame nvidia or AMD for not providing enough, lets blame the people who are buying GPUs legally and rightfully.

Next we'll be complaining that a family of 10 is buying too much of what i like from the market for my family of 2, and tell everyone that this product should only be available for people with 4 or less family members, and anyone with more, can buy something else that isn't as low on quantities.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I guess an opportunity for Nvidia to get rid of any failed GP-102 chips that didnt make the bin for the 1080ti, but may still be good enough for mining.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    One month warranty might be too short to have miners jump onto that wagon, sadly. They at least want warranty until the cards have earned enough money to justify the purchase, or people will just ignore it and pay a few $ extra for gaming card's warranty. Completely missed the warranty part I have to admit... doesn't make it such a good counter strategy to "free up" the gaming GPU market situation.
    Well, if they start to read out your program use there's enough people not wanting the bloatware / spyware in their drivers, they would just get rid of that too, or block the program's functionality somehow. Driver hacking isn't as easy as it was before Pascal, that might work, drivers with crappy mining performance for gaming cards and well, a more mining based driver for cards like the one leaked.

Yes, it is exactly that, getting rid of failed GP-102 chips. Very smart move. And more than AMD did so far.

7. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    Great. So this site is going to be a crypto craze information source now?
    Maybe some nice how to articles next? Sigh....

Silva likes this.
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry you don't appreciate hardware news in a hardware site?

It's not like guru3d has started to announce and create articles about every new ASIC crypto miner out there, this article is quite literally an Nvidia specific article. Every article that i have seen about cryptocurrency has specifically been about Nvidia or AMD or GPU shortages in general, so quite literally none have been offtopic for what this Computer Hardware website is designed for.

Here, i'll help you get to the guru3d about page:

http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/contact-us.html

"With well over 15 million pageviews monthly Guru of 3D is one of World's leading Interactive Entertainment and PC Hardware fan sites."

airbud7 and Ricepudding like this.
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So what do you propose then?

Also you might be a little too smart for this forum... might want to find a place more "up to your standards".

-Tj- likes this.
  10. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    To be honest, I am interested if the price is fair considering the lack of video output.

660 on ZEC is quite nice. Reasonable if around euros 400.

Also, one month warranty is illegal in some European countries. Minimum 2 years for HW.

386SX likes this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Too smart for these forums?

I'm sorry, when exactly did it become normal to suggest something one does not know a thing about? I don't go to NASA forums and suggest they use cattle turds to fire their rockets because it'd be more economical, no that'd be dumb. So why come to a hardware forum and suggest that the hardware maker should somehow block math algorithms completely while simultaneously not affecting the game performance? That's asking for fairy dust. There's no way to stop all algorithms, and there's no way to prevent a new algorithm from coming out even if somehow you had blocked the current ones, making mining possible yet again.

Do you know what an algorithm is? "In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm is an unambiguous specification of how to solve a class of problems. " so, the way to stop mining on GPUs is....? That's right, to stop the GPUs from doing math. Which is the entire purpose of a GPU...to do math.

And then if you were to stop the current algorithms, how exactly can you predict that wouldn't affect game performance? By that i mean, you've just limited how the GPU can do math and restricted what kind of math it can do, so if a game does math similarly or exactly the same way, that game wouldn't be affected...how?

As to what do i propose? Absolutely nothing other then for nvidia and AMD to step up their game and produce more. They benefit from having more stock available, it's their job to not let a shortage increase the prices. Supposedly, from what they've said, it's because of a memory shortage, which may or may not be true, who knows, but no matter what, it's their job to fix. But i would definitely, never ever suggest making a product DO LESS, that's crazy talk.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah whatever, sorry my comment upset you. Feel free to add me to your ignore list.

I am perfectly familiar what an 'algorithm' is (this kind of talk is exactly what I meant with too smart...). But mining does run of software or client does it not?

You don't just tell the GPU, okay, mine or "do math"?

But like said I'll leave this thread. Should have known better...

13. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Even if Guru3d did speak about all ASIC miners, it wouldn't bother me... it isn't my interest but this is a hardware/tech/software site that is meant to keep us informed about all the latest and greatest stuff out there... Still some people are never happy unless they only get the stuff they want (cry cry)

Aura89 and airbud7 like this.
  14. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    As someone already mentioned in the EU countries they will be forced to provide a minimum of 2 years of warranty or not sell their products there.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I think that's about to change...

16. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    It seems lost on suppliers that the only thing that will stop the sale of Gaming GPU's to miners is an equivalent card for a lessor price.

At minimum, they should be putting SLI bridge on these things. No one needs Display out on an SLI card.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    No no no you do not want a 5gb 1080ti paired with your 11gb one! Then you will criple youn main vga to 5gb also ! Sli cards mirror their memmory contents so 2 cards with 24gb ram tottal (12 each) does not mean youbhave 24 gb available you still have 12

18. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Wonder if they'll launch the next nVidia GPU with Guns n'Roses' 'You Could be Mine' blaring...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    nVidia must think these cards do 2 years work in just one month?

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    actually I'm finding that a lot of members here are miners and gamers (computer geeks of all kind) and that's cool with me...I'm curious too...

a separate place on the forum for the latest mining equipment/Hardware is not a bad idea...