Man sues Microsoft for $600M after a forced Windows upgrade destroyed his PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by airbud7, Mar 6, 2018.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    damn if I would have said that sykozis^ ....Hey, my neighbor just got a new herd of sheep and I sneaked over there last nigh/ Oh, wait......tmi...:D

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I think everyone is aware that the herd of sheep ran away from you....lol

airbud7 likes this.
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Microsoft should have done what every other company in the world does, and if they don't they usually fail quickly, and that is to not support Windows versions when new versions are released. It should be tough luck. You don't get a new engine in a car when a new model is released, and sometimes the improvements are purely software, yet you don't get them. What about Android phones? Google is a huge company, Windows is infinitely more difficult to support, no reason why you shouldn't be stuck on old phone versions.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    In cases like this, if thrown out as frivilous by the Judge, the defendant can definitely sue for all legal fees.

airbud7 likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I mean immediately after the ruling!

having to file another lawsuit to get money from the first (frivolous) lawsuit is plain stupid....

The loser pays NOW! ...regardless/ the buck stops here.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS could simply file a motion to dismiss and request reimbursement for legal expenses within that motion.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    exact dollar amount for what you're seeking
    for $600M...?

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Gotta guess that vast amounts of crack were involved at some point in the decision?

Imagine if just for a second he some how won... again I would have to imagine that vast amounts of crack would be involved somewhere along the line to allow that to happen but yeah just imagine.

I updated my computer last night and today the colour of the Start button is a fraction of a shade different than it was last night, sue MS for £350 gagillion. What about this Spektor roll out that MS is doing, if they force something on to my computer that makes it run slower can I turn round and sue them for 6 dump trucks full of $100s?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS could file a countersuit requesting reimbursement for legal fees and "damages" caused by the initial lawsuit.
    MS could file a motion to dismiss based on, reasons, and request reimbursement for legal fees resulting from the lawsuit
    MS could file a separate lawsuit requesting money for "damages" and legal fees resulting from both suits.

They would never get close to a $600M award in any case. The guy that filed the suit requesting $600M in "damages" will have to prove that the claimed "damage" to his computer is valued at $600M. Since it's a personal laptop and he's obviously not worth anywhere near that much himself, IF he were to win, it would likely only be enough to cover the cost of a new laptop as that's his only real financial loss.... He's going to have to prove, beyond any reasonable doubt, that the damage is directly the fault of MS and the MS CEO and that at no point did he ever do anything that could have potentially caused it. He's also going to have to provide "expert" witnesses to support any claims he makes, which are going to incur costs on his behalf. In the end, he's likely to incur more costs than the $35-50 that most shops charge to reinstall Windows 7 on a laptop. He's also going to have to prove that using such service at a PC repair shop isn't a viable option. That last option alone may be enough to lose the lawsuit since most shops still have legit copies of Windows 7 on hand for performing such services.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

11. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    hehe I don't remember more lol ;):D

fantaskarsef likes this.