Rumor: ASRock is going to make graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 and Embra like this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    This is an interesting development. Not sure how this might help supply of AMD gpu's to the gaming market. An extra option is nice. Wait and see.

3. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    More options is always good, i want to see their designs

4. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Exciting news! I wish them good business!

Don't hold back ASROCK and give us the best product possible!

I sincerely hope ASROCK's appointed team at their assumingly newly created GPU division pulls through, since if one thinks of it, besides the fact that okay, they can be consider as newcomers but in the grand scheme of things they enter the game knowing all their competitors mistakes/misfortunes/errors which could be of tremendous help in their start.

AsiJu likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wonder why they're only doing AMD, and not Nvidia?
    Either way, this is a bit interesting - to my knowledge, Sapphire is the only brand that's currently AMD exclusive (Powercolor used to be, but I think they now dabble in Nvidia) so it'll be cool to see more competition. The exclusive brands (like Sapphire and EVGA) tend to make some of the best products, particularly due to the tailor-made heatsinks, whereas companies like MSI and Gigabyte use generic heatsinks that sometimes aren't totally efficient. I'm not dissing those companies, because they still make products worth buying.

6. Mr. Nobody Cares

Mr. Nobody Cares Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 380X
    Did someone say april fools?

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Likely no impact, the chip itself is the bottleneck, and that is not created by the partners.

8. Bojan

Bojan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    As far as I can tell, there are no GTX Powercolor cards, XFX also is exclusive to my knowledge, as well as few other brands, namely Visontek and Diamond multimedia...

airbud7 likes this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ah whoops I saw some Powercolor products with Nvidia support and just assumed they made products with Nvidia chips; apparently not.

I wasn't thinking about XFX, since they used to be exclusively Nvidia, but yes you're right - they are exclusively AMD now. Diamond and Visiontek also used to support Nvidia (though I don't think they were explicitly exclusive) but yeah I forgot about those too.

I guess there are more exclusive brands than I thought.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    "ASRock would release AMD cards solely"

[​IMG]

11. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    XFX used to be exclusive on nvidia but somewhere around 2010 (i may be wrong on exact year) they switched to amd's gpus and i think they do not regret it in any way as they are still in this partnership.

BTW, one of the weirdest graphics cards ever made and it is from xfx:
    https://videocardz.net/xfx-geforce-9600-gso-1536mb-far-cry-2-edition/

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    AsRock motherboards have been pretty good quality and often a bit cheaper then the competition for several years now, so I would be willing to test out a video card from them.

AsiJu likes this.
  13. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Computing cards would be more correct to say as AMD does not offer anything for 4K gaming.

Sure once Nvidia Turning is out they will change their mind.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Diamond hasn't released an NVidia based card in quite a long time. The last Diamond branded card I recall seeing with an NVidia chip was back in the Riva TNT2 days with the Diamond Viper V770, which was more than 17 years ago. Diamond was never an exclusive NVidia partner. They only released a handful of NVidia based cards in the late 90's under the "Diamond Viper" branding. Most of their product line leading up to their market exit were S3 based. Since their return to the graphics card market, they've been exclusively ATI/AMD.

To the best of my recollection, Visiontek and Powercolor both have subsidiaries that release NVidia based cards.

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You obviously haven't seen the GeForce FX series.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Asrock just want to cash in on the mining craze and want to make products with high demand, high margins.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I was literally going to make the same comment, pretty much this....

18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Focus on Crypto oriented cards with maximized mining performance will help the market overall.

19. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Maybe they want to start slow and not just jump head first into deep waters.
    I think it's a good thing to start with one manufacturer first and see how it pans out. Then if all goes well they can move to Nvidia.
    At the end going slow wins the race. The smaller the initial investment into a expansion like this, the smaller the loss if things don't work out. The GPU market is a tough one and people are relatively set in their brand choice.

All the best to them and their future in the GPU market. I think they will do good as I really like their motherboard design and the quality of components used for relatively cheaper compared to other brands.

20. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I had fx5200 :)