Nvidia Doubling Up prices on GeForce GXT 2080? Tackling Some Rumors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    :D

Fixed. It was done in a hurry. lol :p

-Tj- likes this.
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I believe Nvidia, and AMD, are going to increase their GPUs prices to take advantage of the mining craze but they are not going to increase them by 100%! That would drive away gamers and maybe even miners!... I think a 20 to 30% increase is more expectable... This way they make more money by cutting the margins of retailers, that have been the biggest winners of mining so far.

One thing i´m curious is how Nvidia and AMD are going to take advantage of their founder edition cards. With them they can sell directly to consumers and get all the profits for themselfs, at least in an initial phase with the excuse that they have very little chips available to sell, and they charge even more for those who want the cards early. Of course this can be very bad news for their partners... And even worse for us, gamers...

3. howiec

howiec Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 HOF
    Doubling prices over previous generation based on roughly 75% increased performance doesn't make any sense other than for purposes of greed and monopolization.

Let's ignore actual performance gains and various other differences and simply use MHz in the following example.

1993 Intel Pentium @ 66MHz cost around $964 initially.
    2006 Intel Core Solo T1400 @ 1830MHz cost around $290 initially.

So (1830/66) * $964 = $26,729. Adjust for inflation (~40%) and we get $37,420.

So if we go by this ridiculous model, Intel gave everyone a $37,130 discount on the 2006 Core Solo T1400 at that time.
    It would also follow that today's latest CPUs would be going for around the same price as a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo.

4. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Intel "gave" me a $125,192 discount on my 8700K@5GHz! Woohoo!! :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Platform. When you make OCL code, you can run it on anything that supports OCL of given generation. GPUs simply outperform CPU in performance/Watt, performance per purchase price, performance per volume functional device takes. But stacking Ryzen 2800 on mITX RACK-like design towers may prove to be quite close to GPU...

...what a nightmarish idea.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Joke: "Ever heard of GTX 970?"

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    970 and 660ti (owned both) are not high end cards. Would be a real joke if the went asymmetrical on the 2080.

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    When i see it on Amazon, il know its for real.

9. Kevin cobley

Kevin cobley Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070
    At the stage, a new graphics card is about to appear, there are usually masses of shipping documents published, reports of "tape outs" from the semiconductor foundries. It's impossible to conduct the mass manufacture of a new graphics card product in total secrecy there are many thousands of people involved at, the foundries, graphics card manufacturing partners have to be supplied with chips long before the cards are produced.
    It's possible but highly unlikely that Nvidia has taped out the product, produced the circuitry masks and tools so mass manufacture could be rushed as soon as the card announcement has been made.
    Even so, it would take at least 6 months for a product to come to market.
    It's unlikely that we will see new cards until Christmas.
    Nvidia has it's current generation cards still in heavy demand, they aren't messing around with production schedules whilst sales are still very strong.

alanm likes this.
  10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Fingers crossed for a 2060 with 8gigs of GDDR6 and 200-250 pound range which has about 1080 performance.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Comparing a high end desktop CPU to a low power, budget CPU for netbooks? A much better comparison is intel's Xeon L3014, a 2.4GHz Wolfdale CPU from 2008. I think it initially cost around $800.

It's crazy how much bang for your buck you get these days with computers. I remember as a kid how much my father spent on our first Macintosh or our Apple IIGS. Even my first PC which was an Intel 486 DX2-66mhz cost far more than any system i've built today (not including inflation) and back then they didn't have fancy video cards.

Speaking of video cards, since 2000 the price of them has stayed relatively flat when adjusted for inflation. All this crying about how greedy nVidia and Intel are, and how they **** consumers is just stupid. The only reason why the most recent cards deviate from the norm is because of factors not under nVidia control, and are due to the retailers hiking prices.

http://i.imgur.com/SE3TNqZ.png

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmm Hilbert not responding to no shipping manifests, I guess he knows something that he's under NDA to not tell us...
    Do not respond to let us know ;):D

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They really gotta find a way to block mining on gaming cards.

If not then mid-range cards will start at $1000.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its basically like telling them to find a way to make less money. But if it continues for a long time, they risk shrinking the PC gaming market. Tough poison to pick.

Problem is, the only way to satisfy both gamers and miners is to drastically increase GPU production and inventory. Which goes against common business sense since mining can go bust any time. No one wants to be stuck unsaleable inventory.