Nvidia Doubling Up prices on GeForce GXT 2080? Tackling Some Rumors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2018.

1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    If (and that's an if) they double the price you can count me out.

At some point, one has to say enough.

Obviously they'll still make a bundle because of the CraptoShekel miners but they will also irreparably damage PC gaming imho.

It's not about the money, it's a question of principle at the end of the day.

If you aren't doubling the performance, there is absolutely no reason you should be doubling the price.

2. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Personally I already more or less moved to console for Gaming.. lol (I know I know, the blasphemy!)

High end PC gaming just isn't worth it anymore (at this point in time) imo, only real bonus is VR (I still use my occulus for drving sims) and the ease of Keyb + mouse, for the rest I am happy with the fact my XBone plays all the games I currently play on PC altho with lesser graphics settings and fewer FPS... (Which I guess is the big plus for PC still!) :D
    As an added bonus, there are no aimbots/esp/hack users on console - which for me is actually the biggest plus, and one of the main reasons for moving to console.

Don't get me wrong, I am still the same hardware-lovin' guy I was 15 years ago, or even 5, but things have gone a bit into ridiculousness with prices lately (Not just on GPU side but also high end (intel) cpu side).

I've always been happy to plonk down around 1k for the highest end CPU's and GPU's, but now you have to shell out nearly 2k for the cpu and if GPU's are going that way too... nah I'll pass really. (Euro's btw).
    I'll be back as soon as the companies start to come back to earth again, maybe next year or year after.... I hope so.

We just need competition back... or some new proper competitors vs NVidia and Intel, but who am I kidding... It's not like any new company magically will be able to start competing with these Giants lol

There have been companies who tried in the past (Matrox Parhelia - great on paper, sucked IRL, the XGI with their Volari series, again amazing specs but actually sucked.. and not to forget S3 Savage.. lol ) ah the memories.

If anything They will be the only 2 companies left (Intel + Nvidia) in the future and then we are truly screwed :D

Singleton99 likes this.
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah right.

I bet it will be like usual, 650-700$. No way in hell they will sell them at 1200-1500$.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    At this point id be willing to bet gpu prices are never going to return to normal after this mining craze ends, If it ends.

I was lucky enough to get my 1070 just before all this kicked off so im good there but i will need to upgrade my MB CPU and ram in maybe a year or so. If prices are still all messed up when i have to upgrade im not going to bother and I'll just buy a console.

5. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see whats happens . PC gaming atm for someone starting out with a new build is just too expensive or even upgrading is now out of reach for many of us , i suppose this will drive PC gamers over to consoles (maybe) , i too would give a console gaming ago but the only games i can play with the xbox controller is driving games , im totally useless with it for anything else .

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    The most I see them charging (assuming there are no shortages like ram) is a 20-30% increase. I doubt we will see same pricing as the 1080's. They have an idea what folks will be willing to pay. The GPU climate has changed a lot with mining the pats shortages.

7. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    It's a big article for, "Well really, nobody knows anything really" lol.

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Remember the good old days when new cards would come out and the last gen cards dropped way down in price so the new cards could take over that price range, great days, i miss 2013. lol

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    980Ti's were selling for like $350 when the 1080Ti came out - overclocked it was about as good as a stock GTX1080 for $250 less. Fury X's had a similar thing going on at the time.. was only about a year or so ago.

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  10. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    That's completely false. There are actually more hackers % wise on console than on PC. You think there are no hacks/aimbots on console. Oh how wrong you are....

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You do have some good points. The price for upgrading has really skyrocketed lately and Intels frequent releases with marginal performance increases is laughable. There sure are some cool games on consoles...but...PC will still always be the better tool in the end :)

Singleton99 likes this.
  12. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    With how far above MSRP current cards are selling for, even directly from companies like newegg or massdrop, it doesn't surprise me that rumors like this are circulating. Hopefully they turn out to be false, because I'd really like to grab a 2000 series card at launch, but if they are true and cards like the 2080 end up running $1000-$1200 at launch then the miners can have them.

Either way, I'm going to be laughing my ass off when GPU mining stops being profitable and the market is flooded with burned up cards. I constantly see posts on other sites like reddit about how people (who don't understand performance degradation from constant mining) are just going to wait and buy those used cards off ebay. Have fun with that.

13. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, if 2080Ti has 70~80% more power than GTX 1080Ti, I can see quite bigger GPU and defect rate or higher clock.
    But I do not see nVidia to pull up prices that much. As that is already outside of regular gamer's budget. If those prices will be really that high, they are making it for miners who expect ROI.

15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i have two takes:
    1)HH is too right when he said it made sense to separate enterprise and consumer lines, along with Volta making no sense for consumers...which i have steadfastly stated. Nvidia would be leaving cash on the table if they didn't...i've personally seen thousands of gtx 1080ti's at just two server farms for Alphabet and Palantir...and that's not counting the other local members of the Fortune 100...in Silicon Valley.
    2) whatever name they give, it will be a Pascal refresh. A) Pascal already outperforms Vega, Vega process shrink underway to compete with ti. Pascal shrink keeps relative performance differential the same, while improving overall performance.

16. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Us PC users need to stick together and find a way to make miners use GAMING CONSOLES for mining instead. ;)

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Hard to do when the hashing function is purposely designed to work best on consumer graphics hardware. The entire idea behind the newer coins is to prevent ASIC's being built for them - so that they are more distributed and single entities can't just buy entire farms of ASIC's for costs outside the reach of normal consumers (this is what happened with bitcoin). I joked in another thread that eventually mining will just be playing Crysis in the background. To build a better mining card will be to just build a better geforce card.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm curious why CPUs aren't being used more instead? It's a lot harder and a lot more expensive to build a CPU farm. With 8-core CPUs becoming the norm (and 16-core CPUs like Threadripper in the prosumer space), it might make more sense to develop coins that can be mined with CPUs (I know the CryptoKnight algorithm exists, although it has high cache requirements). Of course CPUs don't have the kind of computing power of GPUs, but that just means the difficult has to be lower.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Looks fake. 10gb vram from 256bit wont work (unless assymetrical but doubt they would do that on high end card). Also 16gbs wont make 576 bandwidth (rather 512). Its should be 18gbs, so errors all point to fake.

20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Even they aren't dumb enough to use a potato.

fantaskarsef and Solfaur like this.