Bill Gates: Cryptocurrencies are killing people

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    cowie likes this.
  2. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    Right now cash is used for buying fentanyl and other drugs so it is a rare technology that has caused deaths in a fairly direct way.

Legit argument.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's pretty much what bitcoin was used for when it's started. Maybe this quote helps people recall it.

4. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "Keep your transactions hidden and secure! Evade taxes! Buy or sell anything completely anonymously! Crypto!"
    He is literally advertising it OMEGALUL

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Yeah and if he won't talk about it, those things will magically fade in fairy world.....

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wonder who paid him to say that.
    Also, I wonder if he never tried to avoid taxes, or succeeded in doing so, or the company he was more or less governing for years.
    As they say, preaching water and drinking wine, most likely.

Brasky likes this.
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This is hilarious on so many levels...

The terrorism... The very government he speaks about has been the biggest terrorist under the Sun for quite some time.
    Tax evasion. Bill should know, because his trademark company, Microsoft, is an expert in this field.
    Speculative financial practices. Look no further than the traditional financial institutions. Who the fuk brought down the economy in 2008? Crypto? yeah right.../s
    How about another sh1ty financial practice, high-frequency trading? Oh but HTT is good, because it brings sh1tload of money for Microsoft.

Using crypto to buy drugs. How the fuk did the druggies and the drug lords manage be4 crypto? MMmmmaybe using ordinary mmmmoney? Is money bad? Ban money!
    You can buy million things with crypto. But because you can buy one bad thing, that means crypto is BAD!
    WTF is wrong with this guy. I expect this kind of silliness from the bottom feeders, not from Bill effin gates.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    He probably received a few hundred coins for that, that's why :D

9. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Coming from a man, whose company is cherishing people. . .

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You guys missing the point that he actually got caught with tax evasion. Dude got his ass handed back to him.
    So if there higher risk to get caught using cash, maybe it worth trying bitcoins.

Just saying. Bill did many mistakes in past, hopefully he learned from it and actually saying something worth listening to. He is no longer working in M$ and has less to do with it.
    He is trying to make this world a better place. See his efforts and donations.

And you can't deny a fact that bitcoin makes shady deals way easier with less risk. Love it, hate it, this is what it is.

Anyway, I have nothing against bitcoins. But it is a tool that provides more possibilities. Bill mentioned dark side of it.

Clawedge likes this.

11. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Pretty sure that Windows pretty much directly facilitates illegal activities by providing a front end to carry out these tasks. Perhaps the internet is also bad thing.

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    If it isn't the government always trying to scare people away from what they can't control, regulate or tax, then it's big business.

morbias, UnrealGaming and sverek like this.
  13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And then there's people that just... chose to not do what everybody else does and not join the miners. :)

Na not really missing, hence my hinting at how he and m$ do business for decades now in my first post in the thread.
    But I tend to agree with you on the rest, although nobody knows for sure to what the possibilities would be used. Criminals always are first to use such possibilities like using blockchain and cryptos, but the fun part is: "traditional" finance is not really any more or less legal or trustworthy. That's why you don't throw your money at the first guy offering you the same interest rates than with cryptos... with normal investments you just beg to be exploited, already waiting for get scammed.

14. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What Bill said was completely uninteresting, bland, something everyone already knows and certainly not a complete picture of crypto. Which is very disappointing considering he's a programmer and a tech guy himself. So his comments end up sounding like they're meant for complete normies that don't know anything about anything, to keep them away from crypto. Instead of giving a more honest well rounded view, with maybe some actual insight.

15. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Yeah that's basically exactly what bitcoin was used for when it began, and still is. The technology is fascinating, but these cryptocurrencies are cancer and offer anything but 'currency'.

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    one could say that about of a lot of legal things.
    but I don't think he got paid to say that, if he started to burn all his money now the fire would last years.
    I guess any propaganda against mining is not a bad thing for someone who wants a vga at a sane price.

17. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    There is probably more crime comited behind the "art sales" money laundry than with cripto

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

Bottom line: Total Market Cap: $452 597 027 789

That's 452 trillion USD. I don't think that art sales sum up to that kind of money, nowhere near. Even if you only take the top 10 cryptos, that's still almost 370 trillion USD.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  19. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Erm... Please read your number again.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Has he not watched the M. Robot series ?

E-coin is the future William !