AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.2.3 Drivers Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2018.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Tested Beta in DX12 Mode all Extreme, 8 H/W light sources, 1440p, AA -> Average in battle 52FPS (Keys on Alienware)
    Game looks Good.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    IF they turned it into MMO, I would be jumping all over it. No need for leveling, just finding Gear and learning Skills. And then PvP, Fort Sieges, Castle Sieges, World Boss PvP, ...

3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I'll test them in Crossfire with Kingdom Come Deliverance although not expecting any improvement sadly :(

Edit: Hmm maybe I spoke too soon, testing the new drivers with the Kingdom Come Deliverance crossfire profile and the performance seems better than the previous drivers.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    OnnA likes this.
  4. PetBB

PetBB Member

GPU:
    Radeon VII, R9 Fury
    I noticed something strange. This driver disables Freesync for every movie playback application I know. The same with web browsers. No longer judder free video from now. Why????? Because some Samsung monitor has broken Freesync support and flickers we all must suffer... I can't believe they did it. It is possible to restore Freesync per application with Radeon profiles but this method doesn't work with web browsers - tried Opera and Firefox.

5. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    there is no freesync in any video player (web or not).

6. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    Pretty sure MadVR offers support for it.

7. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
  8. PetBB

PetBB Member

GPU:
    Radeon VII, R9 Fury
    There's no need to be any freesync support in video players. We have them working with freesync because they support fullscreeen borderless rendering through opengl or d3d. VLC or MPHC worked great with freesync before 18.2.3 driver. Same with players in web browsers. Now youtube videos aren't smooth anymore because freesync is now blocked for web browsers. Like I said it is possilbe to remove freesync lock by creating profile for VLC or MPHC but i'm unable to restore freesync in Opera and Firefox with this method :(

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Video players do not need adaptive sync at all. As for browsers, if you are NOT playing any fullscreen ("exclusive" or borderless) web games or application, they also do not need at all adaptive sync.

10. PetBB

PetBB Member

GPU:
    Radeon VII, R9 Fury
    Could you explain why they don't need adaptive sync?

I don't understand why you want smooth games but not movies? Video player inside web browser is the same application as any other game, when it works at fullscreen mode. I assumed that person who reads this topic is educated enough to know that I'am talking about mode when we watch movie at fullscreen so freesync may be engaged.
    Movies on Youtube have different frame rates. It may be 24, 25, 30, 60 and any other like 10, 18 or 33fps for example. It is very hard to watch them fluently at proper speed without freesync, sometimes even impossible. It would require to change display refresh rate before playing any movie but not every refresh rate is supported by every display. It would be also annoying. Thanks to freesync this is very simple and all movies are played as smooth as they should.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

11. sheep

sheep Guest

GPU:
    is
    That has always been the case with AMD gpu usage. Go into the general tab of MSI Afterburner and enable unified GPU usage.

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I've always had that problem in DiRT: Rally.

13. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    lets go again...

there is no freesync anywhere else except games. its how it works, it cant be used by anything else and especially video (web or not).

if you have stuttering or any problem, then its something else in the driver BUT NOT FREESYNC.

Jackalito likes this.
  14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's not how things works.
    Because you do not need to synchronize a variable frame-rate (at least in most of cases) or at lowest latency possible (thanks to buffering).
    Freesync etc are used only when games present to front-buffer without runtime synchronization to vertical screen frequency, which allows to reach lowest latency as possible but the synchronization happen on hardware with minimal overhead to achieve quite tearing free experience.
    This.

Jackalito likes this.
  15. Caenyss

Caenyss Active Member

GPU:
    7900 XT
    No it has not, it's fine in every other game I have been playing, and Dirt Rally too before this release. And the problem isn't what's being monitored, since I actually notice quite easily the stutters.. I can barely play some races.

16. Caenyss

Caenyss Active Member

GPU:
    7900 XT
    I've tried to disable Vsync and it seemed to help quite a lot, you should give it a try if you have it turned on.

RzrTrek likes this.
  17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for your suggestion, but I always leave v-sync and anti-aliasing off in my games.

18. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Have you tried to set ground cover to low? Due to a lot of extra draw calls it can cause stutters in some parts. The visual difference while driving isn't obvious, but the performance increase vs high is great, specially with older cpus as my phIIs.

19. PetBB

PetBB Member

GPU:
    Radeon VII, R9 Fury
    I'am sorry but you both have very little knowledge about variable frame rate and all what you said isn't truth and you only misleads people. I will explain again but please stop trolling if you don't know the answer.

There is no difference between movie players and games. They both uses the same rendering APIs and they both must be synchronized with refresh rate of the monitor in the same way. Time for some example: Our hypothetical monitor offers freesync range 47-60Hz and lists only one reresh rate at 1980x1080 -> 60Hz. So, without freesync I can use only 60Hz refresh rate. Now I have three movies: movie 1 encoded at 60Hz, movie 2 encoded at 50Hz and movie 3 encoded at 24Hz. I can play movie 1 easily because its framerate matches my monitors refresh rate. But if I try to play movie 2 or movie 3 the result will be awful because of stutter and judder effect caused by additional frames inserted between existing ones in uneven manner. Exactly this is happening in games with vsync when you guys complain about stuttering :)
    But there is a solution! And it's freesync. Thanks to freesync I can synchronize my monitor when I want, so for movie 2 I will synchronize it simply at 50Hz and in case of movie 3 I will insert only one duplicate frame after every original frame. It will result in 48Hz movie but it will be super smooth exactly as it should.

From programmer side nothing has changed and many even older video players work great with freesync or g-sync.

I hope my explanation is clear. I think the most important thing that you don't understand is that I can set any refresh rate from freesync rage I want and when I want and that is the feature of freesync that we are using in video players, games and also in other full screen applications (like emulators etc.). Many games have embedded video players for cutscenes purpose. Think about that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  20. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    There is plenty of information how vsync works. Please read one and do not compare constant framerate of videos with variable framerates of games.
    Maybe our eyes, unlike yours, can see only 25 fps (idk if those people agreed on a number) but all stutter or judder I had with video came from 3 sources.
    1. Terrible encode
    2. Bad decoder
    3. Bad hw acceleration/not enough CPU power.

And no one is forcing you to use latest drivers. For example, I still use 16.7.2 because it is free of UVD bug and it allows me to OC card higher than with newer drivers.