[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I hope so your talking a 2012 quad core product clocked in high 3.9 (3.5 base), compared to similar clock 8 core.

2. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I didn't read all the pages so sorry if someone already posted the fix for this.
    I got this to stop by going to task scheduler then Microsoft->Windows->UpdateOrchestrator
    then disable everything for 'UpdateAssistant'.
    I had about 3 of them. Only after doing this will it completely go away. Otherwise you might find it popping up again.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yeah I had it happen twice, the second time it had downloaded the full 4gb operating system in the background "thanks for using my internet Microsoft", before I realized what was going on again, i managed to stop it installing.

I found this elsewhere the other day.

--

"Obviously this situation started on 18.12.2017 and again on 26.01.2018 when Microsoft pushed the updates KB4023814 and KB4023057.

http://winveg.com/win/kb4023814-kb40...n-26-jan-2018/
    [Some versions of Windows 10 display a notification to install the latest version]

So I found a workaround.

This update keeps a copy in C:\WINDOWS\UpdateAssistant from where it installs itself in C:\Windows10Upgrade Also two tasks are created in Task Scheduler: \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistant which activates on logon, system reboot, etc. , \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantCalendarRun which activates every 3 days at 10:30 AM.

1. Uninstal regularly through the control panel "Upgrade Advisor to Windows 10"
    2. Delete the folder C:\WINDOWS\UpdateAssistant
    3. Delete tasks in Task Scheduler \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistant and
    \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantCalendarRun"

Jackalito likes this.
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^^ You should stick to one of the LTSB releases instead of messing with all that possibly after every patch Tuesday :p

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Ain`t that removes fun from having PC and not console?

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Broadcom drivers were causing bluescreens on my PC and a few other laptops in my care so it's not boring :D

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    There was a time when I loved my PC being interesting and having things to fix all the time, now I want it to be boring and just work lol

AsiJu, RzrTrek, MaCk0y and 4 others like this.
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Susahamat and mbk1969 like this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    ^ FINALLY!

10. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Story of my life (not complaining though) have been running smoothly for the past month and only had a few issues with the start menu and explorer.

AsiJu and Extraordinary like this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes definitely, the more boring the pc is the better!

Don't mind a bit of initial tweaking but from there on things should just work.

Extraordinary likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251

March 5, 2018—KB4090913 (OS Build 16299.251)

Improvements and fixes
    This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Significant changes include the following:
    • Addresses issue where some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard, or mouse, stop working. This may occur when the Windows Update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.
    • Addresses issue where some devices may fail to boot with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
    If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

Dragondale13 likes this.
  14. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    ok mbk1969 thanks for the heads up, already installed here since 03.05.2018

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, this patch is kinda old already, and it doesn't do much anyway.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, since I do not receive updates automatically, I check for cumulative ones from time to time. And since nobody here mentioned it I decided to. Just in case someone like me has not seen.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Dragondale13 likes this.
  18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    March 13, 2018—KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309)
    Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709

Improvements and fixes
    This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
    • Addresses issue where Internet Explorer stops working when using F12-based developer tools.
    • Addresses issue with printing XML documents with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
    • Updates legacy Document Mode cell visibility in Internet Explorer.
    • Addresses issue with pinch and zoom gestures on some hardware in Internet Explorer.
    • Addresses issue where Internet Explorer is unresponsive in certain scenarios when a Browser Helper Object is installed.
    • Addresses issue to prevent media and other applications from becoming unresponsive or failing when upgrading graphics drivers.
    • Addresses issue where customers receive "Check your account, you don't own this content” errors when attempting to play or install owned content. This issue can also result in customers getting kicked out of a game in the middle of play.
    • Addresses issue where, after installing KB4056892,KB4073291, KB4058258, KB4077675, or KB4074588 on a server, you may not be able to access SMB shared files in directory junction points or volume mount points hosted on that server. The error is "ERROR_INVALID_REPARSE_DATA”. As a result, editing some group policies using GPMC or AGPM 4.0 may fail with the error "The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071128)".
    • Addresses issue where an AD FS server issue causes the WID AD FS database to become unusable after a restart. This might prevent the AD FS service from starting.
    • Addresses issue where, after installing KB4090913, the Mixed Reality Portal may fail to initialize. This results in an “SXXXXXXX-X” error or a “We couldn’t download the Windows Mixed Reality Software” message may appear after the software is successfully downloaded.
    • Lifts the Anti-Virus (AV) compatibility check to expand the number of Windows 10 devices that are offered cumulative Windows security updates. This includes cumulative Spectre and Meltdown protections for 32-Bit (x86) and 64-Bit (x64) versions of Windows, except the KB4078130 update that was offered to disable mitigation against Spectre Variant 2.
    • Addresses issue that only affects some versions of antivirus software and only applies to computers on which the antivirus ISV updated the ALLOW REGKEY.
    • Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Desktop Bridge, Windows Kernel, Windows Shell, Windows MSXML, Device Guard, Windows Hyper-V, Windows Installer, and the Microsoft Scripting Engine.

AsiJu, mbk1969 and Dragondale13 like this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Great, the 16299.
    My X79/Sandy Bridge-E desktop is blue screening on startup after this Update. After a couple of reboots, Windows undos the update and boots up normally with the previous version. But then it immediately tries to download and install the update again, which leads to the same result. I've also tried to clear the Windows Update Cache and install the KB Update manually after the Windows Update one failed so badly, but it has the same result. I've hidden the update now, I just hope this problem will be fixed with the next one.

The update works well on my Z270/Kaby Lake-based Laptop, though.