Samsung and Qualcomm Working on 7nm EUV Process Technology

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Very interesting times. It's really hard to comprehend how 20 years ago transistors were ~35x bigger.

I personally think I'll be avoiding sub-7nm products for a little while, until I hear more about reliability and data integrity. Engineers might be able to work around the limitations of physics, but you can't cheat or change physics.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    They'll never put it into production unless it has certain level of reliability. As recall of millions of chips from very expensive devices may put foundry under.
    Till now we have not seen any significant chip degradation over time. Biggest problem is to get defect-less chip. And they seem to be overcoming it.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    EDIT:
    Nevermind

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, but if they go for mass production, they trust it. Maybe High clock OC may become issue. But on other hand, those devices will be 1st in lower clock, high efficiency phones, tablets :D

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I just realized that these don't appear to be traditional silicon-based transistors, and were in development for years along side traditional transistors. So - I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about what I was thinking anyway.