Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 16, 2017.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think it will be more of the same tbh , if you see a lot of flaws in season 1 , expect more in season 2.
    They took a different direction, so we will all just have to get used to the idea and live with it. So more enjoyment, less nitpicking pls ;)

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti

An overused cliche but I do like the way it is delivered here.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Had low beginning of season. Shown some promise with Mirror Universe.
    Disappointing last episode.

Why are they even making this show when they lack aspiration, fervor and excitement for ST.
    (Oh yeah, writers need their jobs. So they can write script for any show...)

fantaskarsef and Loobyluggs like this.

5. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    A quickie from me.

Thoroughly enjoyed the series ( yea shoot me ). Ok so its not traditional trek but as I've stated in an earlier post the show is what trek really needed. An intergalactic enema that steers clear of Star Trek of the old but not too far off.

Some of the SJW'ness hacked me off but I have to admit it grew on me and worked out in the end.

Some of the later plot twists ( without spoiling crap for those lagging behind ) were a bit shall we say overly confuddling with regards to the earlier tone of the series. None of it confusing to me but not in line of the first half of the fairly solid build up of the first half of the series.

The final episode felt like a strangely half assed wrap up that was busy to rush to its little surprise in the end.

Overall I think its a winner and I hope the 2nd season will be a bit more balanced. The vibe I was left with from the first season was that there was a fair bit of fan service with trying to suck in as many new trekkies as possible where I was left feeling that perhaps they should have made the show almost entirely for the new generation of trekkies seeing thats where they took it anyway so might aswell go all the way.

Us old hats will still have our Original Series, TNG and DS9 ( Which I'm currently rewatching and enjoying the hell out of ) and...*ahem*... Enterprise but lets face it, its time to hand Trek over to the new generation as much as I hate to admit it. If the 2nd season goes full on "My Little Pony gear" though, then I will be mounting an assault at the production company and I expect Loobyluggs to lead the assault. :p

As to what I hope to see from the 2nd season, more planetary exploration but at the same time I'd like to keep a plotline that runs through the series because monster/planet/anomaly of the week is so last century.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Interesting point.

I recall what Brad Wright said about Stargate when the film came out. I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said the actual Stargate was The Enterprise, The Tardis, The Time Tunnel and I think the road Caine walked in Kung-Fu. That was how he sold the idea to make the tv show with Jonathan Glassner.

It was (essentially) a device/object that allows the characters to go places and get into adventures, allowing the traits of the characters shine through. I thought that was a very sharp piece of perspective on what these television shows were at heart.

Star Trek the television show was exactly this: opening glory shot undercut with a description of what the gang were up to this particular week in the form of a captains log. We see something happen that takes us to the opening credit sequence, and then all the characters go into their respective modes to solve the problem. And the following week, we do it all over again.

Although we always have overarching plotlines involving the interpersonal relationships that grow and blossom, the ship is just 'the thing' that gets us to where we need to be to tell this week's story.

...So, what you are saying is that having a plotline take center stage is better/more preferable than having strong characters?

You will run into problems with that, because if the story is center stage, then the characters have no purpose to tell the story. Either the characters are the focus (go somewhere and let traits overcome adversity) or the story is (let meaningless characters be pulled along and have no impact on the outcome of the story). If it's the story, the characters do not have to be anything other than talking mannequins. If it's the characters, then they have to have consistent traits, with real strengthes and weaknesses clearly defined. This way, when the chips are down, they will do what their character does best to resolve the problem.

Brad Wright managed to stretch SG-1 by following the characters, not the story - through the gate; and the audience followed.

All of that Atlantis and Universe stuff were basically, riding on the coat-tails of preceding successes. They had poor characters and tried to follow a story that no one cared about, because the characters are always the most important part of a television show.

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    It's a fine line to tread successfully and to give a few examples, I think Babylon 5 was pretty groundbreaking ( for me at least personally ) in that the first season was basically a build up for what was to come while you got to know the characters with the 2nd season building up even more to an eventual 3rd and 4th seasons with lots of events and action taking place at which point you were familiar with the characters anyway so the the storylines were able to take centre stage. Although I must confess that Season 4 of B5 was pretty exhausting as there was at times a bit too much happening.

The BSG remake was successful in this too imo even though there were a few mishaps on the story on the way like the death and return of Starbuck ( apologies for a potential spoiler but I'm going to assume that at this stage almost everyone who cares has seen the show ) which just felt weird on the whole.

My favourite pet peeve of TV series is the X-files. For the first 5-6 seasons I basically inhaled that series and was totally invested in it but what always gnawed me like no tomorrow was the way the series flowed. You'd have the starter episode of a season that might have been a thrilling, edge-of-your-seat 2 parter with some wild twists and new questions raised to set the backdrop for the season but then you had to sit through 10 disconnected episodes in the style of monster of the week untill you might get another exciting 2 parter that further expands on the mythology but then you're back at sitting through 8 more disconnected episodes of varying quality untill you get the season finale.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I cared for X-Files little as continuous story. I loved different looks at things. There was a lot to think about. Many episodes had hidden meanings.
    It gave me many different perspectives when considering good, evil, right, wrong, nature, technology, fear and its absence, ...

IMHO, BSG, It is great series if you watch just 1st and last season. Then you may decide to watch all those repetitive fillers in between. Because watching it without skipping middle part may bring many people to decision to stop watching.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That kinda matches what Mike and Rich said about it in their summary:

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This may contain SPOILERS ;)

What I hope to see from S2 of Destiny would be less far fledged super tech escapes from the issues they have. Please, no more switching universes (with Lorca and the Emperor being from the parallel universe we've essentially already got 2 out of 7 characters that regularly are shown and not even off their normal universe), no time travel, just "normal" fighting a war. Sadly they can't win anymore without some super tech or daft plot device that lets them do the unthinkable... we'll see how this turns out. BUT I enjoyed to see the return of Georgiu (or more, Michelle Yeoh), and Stamets, somehow I like him. Not too much a fan of Tyler though, but that's just subjective.

Now with Starfleet shattered it feels a little like a guerilla war, reminds me of VOY a little bit, or some missions during the Dominion Wars (DS9).

But the show's to be continued 2019, is that true? IMDB says S2E1 for release 2019...

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    IMHO, last episode ended war. That may be reason why there is such delay between seasons.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe it's more because of scheduling the filming with the actors, or who knows if the writers need some more time to figure out how to twist and turn the spore drive's capabilities to do something that no man has done before... again.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Just a headsup , Ep. 1 of the 2nd season is onliine , which im gonna watch right now :D glad its back!

Keitosha and Repo Man like this.
  14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Yea I'm gonna check it out later in the evening when I've had a couple of cans which will help brace me for what might come. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not even gonna bother calling it.

Size_Mick and WhiteLightning like this.

16. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    If this show is going to make any sense, it will have to end with the crew of the Discovery doing something so embarrassing that Starfleet and the UFP erase all mention of them and the ship in their historical records. They oughta call it Star Trek: Shoehorn, since that's what they've had to do to make it fit into the timeline. Yes, I'm a bitter old man.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    - F*ing hell. Msg. only visible to open hearted. Then comes flashbacks with production value so low that I do not remember last time I watched something that (Brazilian Telenovela 2000 edition) cheap. 10 minutes gone. Nothing of importance did happen.
    - Dramatic music as background for most boring, mundane conversation you did not wanted to hear. Then premise of great danger which is rather unfounded (based on actual description). Awkward conversations. Motivational Introduction. Reflections to past. 20 minutes gone, still nothing...
    - More flashbacks. More reflections upon past. 25 minutes mark in middle of reflecting "time to stop looking into past and chase future" spoken. Dramatic background music with very boring conversation about newly found ship. 30 minutes gone.
    - Spores are back? More dramatic background music. More of bad CGI. Some OK CGI. Too much haze and lens flares. Dramatic talks. Quarrel. Dead. Dramatic crack on glass travels slowly. Everything fails. Even all the safety mechanisms. Dramatic pause. Happy faces, because just one person died. More bad CGI. New character almost introduced... 40 minutes gone.
    - New character is clearly old lesbian who's bored to death and can't be surprised by anything. Beaming survivors. Scratches on glass. Well timed failures. Everything goes to hell. Best plot armor in universe. Burnham screams like Demon. Sauron's eye. Hellspawn. Magical rock. 50 minutes gone.
    - Tense guy on wheelchair. Magic rock hunt. Discovery (ship) goes into place where they did not want to go in the 1st place. Magic rock is in hangar. Cheers. More boring talk. Brown nosing. More talk of the past. More brown nosing. Past talk continues. Visions/Flashbacks (Burnham sees message mentioned in very beginning). 3rd Spock's incarnate as center figure of this 'mystery' as they could not do without anchor. Episode is over.
    That was pretty weak. It does promise more nonsensical stuff to ST universe.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

^^^They should have went for Pike and the Enterprise series from day one instead of Discovery as the guy playing the charactor of Pike is very good, when his charactor is not being lectured by that insufferable Burnham charactor, what a ahole she is(pardon my french).

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    There is nothing wrong with having a strong female lead but to have one just for the sake of staying with the crowd is stupid. There is nothing about equality at all. Now the exact reverse is here. Pike will never take center stage because he is not a female. It is all about strong female characters now. Period. Makes me sick that they have not moved passed all this sexist bull.

TOS adhered to a utopian view and attempted to tackle how society's views were off and needed to change
    TNG addressed how we look at AI (Data's character)
    Do not see where this new show fits in. Trying too hard to stay away from what made Trek Trek.

20. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    They could not, because the Pike actor was busy being very bad as the Marvel Inhumans Black Bolt.