The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Started thinking about 21:9 more and more lately. Not that I'm unhappy with my current monitor, just that it would be cool to try something new. What worries me the most is the compatibility with games.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Vast majority of games released within last 10 years work well @ 21:9. You may have to tweak a little from game to game, but almost all end up working. WSGF good resource for tweaks.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks! So the worst that can happen is black bars on the left/right?
    Do you have a 21:9 monitor? How do you like it?

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Tbh, only games I think with black bars were very old ones, any current or not so old game should have no probs with 21:9.
    I have a 40" 4k Samsung TV and use a custom 21:9 res (3840x1620) which is about 25% less pixels than 4k, so easier for my GPU to run. Its working better than any PC monitor I've owned to date.

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Usually I get black bars in cutscenes. The most current game I had issues with was AC: Blacl flag.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for the replies. It's a huge investment (~1000€) so I'll think about it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    The effects lovely. I really liked my regular 27“ screen that I had before and I’d still get an even bigger screen in the future, it the format is just great and even now, performance could be an issue. So in the future, yes bigger and higher resolution would be great.
    But for now, 3440x1440 is just perfect. Especially with ambilight!

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm holding my finger on the "purchase button" but have not yet pressed it. I'm worried about space on the table and it seems to be 10cm deeper than my current monitor. I think I'd prefer to buy the GTX 1180 instead which will probably be out in a few months or so.

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Bought mine last week and loving it! I came from a Dell u2715h 2750x1440 IPS monitor. Quality of colours seem to be up to par but the extra immersion from the wider aspect ratio is fantastic!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andrewtst likes this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The X34A was on sale so I ordered one including a much smaller VESA stand (which says to support up to 32 inch and 8kg so I hope it will work). I'm a bit scared I must say :)

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Got the monitor yesterday and my first reaction is - what a beast of a monitor! I'm lucky cause I got one that has almost no BLB or Glow (maybe it's the same thing?) and no dead pixels. The only thing is that when I tried overclocking it to 100Hz, the whole image was flashing randomly (not all the time though) so I had to settle with 95Hz. I also bought another monitor stand since the foot is so huge and takes up half my desk but installing it was a pain.

When it comes to games support it's true what they say that almost all modern games have 21:9 support which is super nice! The wide aspect is really something and will take some time to get used to. The only game so far I tried that doesn't have 21:9 support is Overwatch. Strangely enough it does have a 21:9 option but that only stretches the image and a weird side effect is that I got this stutter which only vanished when I switched back to 16:9 with black bars. Every other game I tried looked amazing in 21:9 but both ME:Andromeda and Prey had some stutter (not like in Overwatch tho).

Performance wise I was afraid that my 1080Ti wouldn't cope but it did an amazing job, even at stock clocks (praise silent gaming). Fired up The Division at 3440x1440p with the DX12 renderer and held an FPS of 85-95 which is good enough. ME:Andromeda is also very heavy on the GPU and although I did a test in a cave I could keep an FPS fairly close to 95. All other games ran beautifully.

Comparing to my 144Hz monitor I sure notice that I've lost some Hz but it's not as bad as I thought and getting used to the size of the monitor is the bigger concern.

Short review I know, but I can write a little bit more in detail if anyone wants.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Congrats! Once you go bigger you never go back :D. If some games have issues with 21:9, go to NV CP and try 'perform scaling on GPU' setting while keeping 'aspect ratio' scaling checked (under adjust desktop size and position tab). Some games may have ini files where you can tweak the settings to get 21:9 to work, but its rare for any recent game not to work out of the box. If any issue you cant resolve, WSGF is good resource site.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Good tip, thanks :)

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone had problems with the speakers on the X34? I feel like when I enable DTS I get this distortion which vanishes when I disable DTS.

15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    How did i miss this thread? I've had the ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q for about a year now, the only thing i dislike about it is the sheer size of the stand, you really lose so much desk space, ended up buying a wall mount for it which solved that problem.

Luckily most modern games support Ultrawide, it's only been a select few games that i've had issues with, games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 have been a real pain with this monitor, wouldn't go full screen at all, just stuck in fullscreen windowed mode.

Ultrawide gaming on a screen this size is great though, think it would be difficult to go back to 16:9.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Agreed that the stands are huge on such monitors. I bought another stand but it turned out to be much worse than the original one and I only gained a few centimeters. I've seen stands that are screwed on the actual desk but they cost a lot of money. I think I'll just buy a bigger ("deeper") table. How far are you sitting from the monitor? I think I'm sitting about 55-60cm from it which is good enough.

I agree that most games I've tried so far support 21:9 without any problems and I'm so happy that this is the case. Overwatch is really the only game so far where I had to set the resolution to 2560x1440 which gave me black bars, but it's OK really. Also a bit sad about Youtube since all films are made for 16:9 and therefore I always see black bars but I'm getting used to it.

17. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I'm probably about 80 or 90cm away from it now, was probably half that with the stand, thing that bugged me with the stand was having to pull everything on my desk forward so it wasn't behind the monitor or having to squeeze things around the feet, i've got a pretty large desk but with the 34" and a 27" monitor side by side it really left me no room.

Highly recommend wall mounting if that's an option for you :)

There's actually an extension for Chrome called Ultrawide Video that scales YouTube content to fit Ultrawide monitors, pretty useful.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The size of ultrawide screens are really huge and a concern regarding available desk space to use them... I´m still using a small computer desk and i was worried that the stand would be to big for my ultrawide fortunately the stand of my LG 34UC79G is not that big so i didn´t need to buy an wall mount or a new desk... The downside is that the screen is a little insecure because of the size of the stand and sometime it makes little noises. Nothing serious.
    The same can´t be said about your Asus monitor that has a gigantic stand! But at least the screen must be perfectly secure.

The important thing is that ultrawide screens are amazing and personally i won´t go back to 16:9 ever!

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    80-90 is really good! Maybe too far?

Unfortunately the wall I have in front of the desk wouldn't support almost 8kg :( But I wouldn't want to have big holes in my wall in case I would want to rearrange everything :D

I've tried that extension but I didn't like it. Either it stretches the picture which is bad or it crops the picture which is better but not only does one loose some of the content, it also makes the scene mode "pixelated" due to the zoom. How do you like that extension?

20. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The ASUS stand is indeed huge, and it was nice and stable on there, but it's just as stable on the wall thankfully, the weight of it was a slight worry.

I'm the same as you though, don't think i could go back to 16:9 now!

The distance is just about right for me, certainly wouldn't want it any further away than that however.

Shame you can't wall mount yours, really does save room, these monitors do weigh a lot though so it's quite difficult to find a wall mount with VESA 100x100 that can handle it safely.

It's not the greatest Extension to be honest, like you said can stretch the image or just crop it horribly, with the right content it can work though, I'm not sure if there are similar extensions that do a better job.