Review: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn : Maybe bit unpleasant, but I do not like low power consumption APU being tested with 1200W PSU. Power efficiency or not, PSU eats some energy just by running.

Can you cold jump-start that PSU without any load, and let us know how many watts wall socket reader shows?
    I am considering 150W PSU (IN WIN Chopin case). That's more than needed. As that should peak around 170~180W on wall wattmeter depending on efficiency. And you measured sub 140W under stress while OCed.

I really wonder how much from that 27W idle is PSU itself. Secondly, PSUs have various efficiency on different power consumption. So, I wonder what would be measurement with lets: "Similar Quality, 300W PSU."

Edit: Went to see some test results for AX1200i used:
    ON without load 0.12W. (I guess fan does not even spin?)
    Efficiency at 100W is 86.8% ; at 200W is 88.9%, so around 120W it would be around 87.2%.
    So those OCed 138W on Wall wattmeter would be 120W drawn by all inside.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Turanis likes this.
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I wonder if this is a worth upgrading for my mame machine that has of now has an i3 that is at 3.3ghz and a geforce 545. ( ps2 emu and dolphin too )
    I think this is all in all at least 40% faster.

3. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    AMD really needs to come out with a separate platform for these APUs that supports GDDR5 ram. Either as system ram or dedicated video ram baked into the mobo. This thing has the same GPU throughput as a PS4 but a quarter of the memory bandwidth. Which is why the resolution needs to be lowered to 720p to get acceptable framerates on 8th gen. games. It's a shame putting such a fast IGP in a system with such slow ram to bottleneck it.

4. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Of course it is.i3,Gtx 545...its an old gen tech.

Ryzen 3 2000G or Ryzen 5 2400G (4c/8t) suits very well on HTPC or browsing machine or even 1080p gaming at low costs.
    In most of reviews the Ryzen 5 2400G is almost on par with Ryzen 5 1500X (4c/8t,16MB L3 cache,3.5GHz).

Thanks Mr. Hilbert for this great review. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

5. Nintendork

Nintendork Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4770
    The 2400G also got 4 more threads which helps to get rid of stuttering specially if you pair the chip with a dgpu at a later time.

6. Nintendork

Nintendork Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4770
    It's really a shame PSU manufacturers still insist on putting their platinum/titanum products on 500w+ models.

A 250-400w Titanium PSU would be ideal for an APU system with efficient dgpu for future upgrades (something in the class of a 1050ti/RX560 but more powerful with 12-7nm).

7. Brutalix

Brutalix Guest

GPU:
    1070 Nvidia
    Nice review, but one thing i wonder about, is if it supports 10 bit opengl. Like for 30 bit color in photoshop. Most rx radeon cards can do this, but not the Nvidia GTX, at least not my 1080. Since I am concidering building a new photoshop value computer for my dad in law, the 2400g looks promising, esp. if it works with 10 bit photoshop.

Kind regards.
    B.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Uhmm... no

9. Nintendork

Nintendork Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4770
    2200G igpu @1700Mhz

Xbox One experience :eek:

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I already had everything sorted out almost ready to buy.
    But I know myself. It would be experimental system, I would OC everything what would allow itself to be.
    And 150W PSU with reserve of 30W with OCed CPU part... (Not even full burn test to see worst case scenario, as that would need something like OCCT.)

I simply decided to go for at least 200W. (No dGPU planned, I see it as waste of space and money for system capable to be this tiny and mighty at same time.)
    Too bad, IN WIN Chopin does not have variant w/o PSU.

There are few cases which are just bit bigger, so it is OK, they are just much uglier. And most have space taken by external slots which I do not require on given system.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So does AMD have any future plans to make the on-die GPU usable along with a discrete card for a little extra GPU power? Or did that sort of thinking die with... I don't remember the name, was it called Hydra?

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not dead, There are just no Vega Low End GPUs. + Considering that those new APUs can deliver performance around RX-550 which is $100 Card...
    I think sales on such cards are not great, and will drop. So, making refresh is less likely than making Ryzen 7 2800G with 1536SP + Ryzen 7 2600G with 1280SP. (Same as they make for intel.)
    Or maybe just 1280 & 1024SP variants.
    2400G has die size of 210mm^2. iGPU and its stuff takes 31% of that. 11NCUs take 21% of total die area. (44,1mm^2)
    having 20NCUs could increase NCU area to 80,2 mm^2 + connections 31mm^2 and 1280SP APU can fit to size around 256mm^2.
    But as we could see on graphical performance difference between 8NCU 2200G vs. 11NCU 2400G, there is other limiting factor to performance than NCU count.

It may be truly memory bandwidth. It can be tested by using 1080p resolution, normal/high effects quality, but lowest texture/shadow resolution and no AA. Then increasing Texture/shadow resolution and compare performance loss for each iGPU.

13. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 8G WC
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but what is keeping AMD from taking a Ryzen 7 with all it's 8 cores, pairing it with an RX 570 or 580 and a 4gb HBM2 stack in a single monster AIO gaming solution?
    I'm aware that this kind of wrap up combo would result in a monster TDP, would definitely require a new socket, and a lot of engineering.
    But they could charge 500 U$ or even more, miners would stay away from it, gamers would be able to afford/build their gaming rigs, whatever... Making the long story short, everyone would be happy with a single move.

As I said in the beginning: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I really think it'd be a hell of a product.

14. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Well considering that it would definitely be a niche product plagued with thermal issues + cost of developing new socket and all the rest that is going with that we are talking about 1000$ + possibly much much more

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It would be a decent product, but not sure how much it would sell or honestly if the current socket could handle the power from it, meaning new socket, new power requirements, etc etc.They already divided their high end segment with their mainstream segment.

16. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 8G WC
    Ok. Forget my previous idea... Putting an R7+580+HBM2 together in the same chip would likely set homes ablaze and stuff.

But, what about adding GDDR5 directly on the motherboard?

I remember I had an ECS mobo back in 2009 or so that had 128mb ddr3 dedicated to the onboard video.

By then, my vga was a 4850 with 512mb. So I suppose we could see 2gb ddr5 on new 400 series boards.

I remember those 128mb weren't a massive performance boost when used. But if they manage to put a decent amount of vram with decent clocks i guess those puppies would reach a totally different level in performance.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    On the motherboard?

Doesn't seem like a good idea.

On the APU itself, sure, but not the motherboard.

That being said, i doubt the APUs are really having a hard time dealing with DDR4 memory speed, it's not like they are meant to be gaming machines, but rather, machines you can game on.

18. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Would be nice to see also DX12 mGPU test with AMD dGPU.

schmidtbag likes this.