ASRock X399M Taichi for Threadripper Gets Detailed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASRock has announced the cutest Socket TR4 Threadripper motherboard, the X399M Taichi. The product was earlier on teased at CES, but not gets specs. The 11 phase board  Designed with an 11-Power-Ph...

ASRock X399M Taichi for Threadripper Gets Detailed

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's...Kind of little?

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it ;)

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    impressive , socket takes up almost 1/4 of the board,lmao

5. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    I remember joking about this when TR was announced, but I think it won't be long now before we see a TR ITX board.... :D

Would be quite the achievement if they actually manage to get it on ITX form factor, and rather pointless too, only for a small amount of peeps who really want a SFF TR system, maybe with a tiny watercooling setup inside, I'd probably make one just for the insanity of it :D

rl66 likes this.
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    small bikini, big adventure... oups i mean small mobo, big CPU.

but hell yeah this is a real cool threadripper mobo :)

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    is the CPU smaller than itx size??? ((joking))

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A mATX TR board makes sense; this setup mostly saturates all of the features available to TR. ASRock did a very good job at designing this, and I think this would appeal to people who never planned on using most of TR's/X399's resources, while wanting a smaller footprint.

I don't think an ITX board is achievable - there's no room for the chipset. Remember, ITX boards aren't just shorter, they're thinner too. But let's suppose they accomplished ITX with a daughterboard: it doesn't seem very practical or cost effective to have TR in ITX. I don't think there's really any market for it. Remember, this isn't server-grade hardware. If you wanted a small many-core server, there are better approaches.

9. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Never say never;

- the following image is obviously a mock-up/fake but this might be a possibility :D

[​IMG]

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Definitely fun to think about, but I think the chipset is physically larger than what's found in that mockup. To me, there would be too many sacrifices made in order for this to be a reality.

I think a DTX board could be achieved (and honestly, I'm surprised those aren't more common considering that most ITX chassis are actually DTX), but even then, there's just too many sacrifices for this to be worth it. X299 makes for a more reasonable ITX board, due to the smaller socket and fewer features. That being said, an ITX X299 board exists.