MSI 1080Ti Gaming X changing thermal paste - advise?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The temps on my 1080Ti have a gone up this past months and it's not the case or the air flow of the case (since I've changed cases four times these last three months). I wanted to try swapping out the thermal paste but have never done it before on a GPU. Any advise? Or is just like swapping it on a CPU? A small problem could be remembering how to reassemble all the screws again since there seem to be so many of them :D

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Pretty much all screws are the same, it's not that difficult. They all have a bit of Loctite (blue). Just take your time. First all of the screws on the backplate, last one the four spring screws surrounding the GPU. The block can be taken off without removing the front face-plate. 15-minute job really.

BTW you have this thing called the smartphone, take photos of the screw locations if uncertain.

airbud7 and pegasus1 like this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The last part was supposed to be slightly ironic :)

Seems that there is a good chance that the thermal compound will be all over the small capacitors on the side of the die as well. Some say it's not worth cleaning since there is a high chance of damaging them, others say it's absolutely worth cleaning everything. What's your take on the matter?

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's totally your call whether or not you find the procedure worth it or not of course. It's not a difficult thing to do with the MSI card as they come off fairly easy, you just need to be careful and take your time for it The small capacitors surrounding die will likely already have some goop on it. Nothing to worry about.

BTW the heat buildup might also be dust in your cooler radiator.

BTW 2: to get you a rough idea what to expect:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_ti_titanium_8g_review,5.html

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh btw I think the 1080 Ti cooler can come off with just the four GPU screws (not 100% certain about that anymore though), as the rest was for the back and frontplate.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Netherwind
    After you are done assembling it back, don't worry if there will be some extra screws left. They tend to multiply while on the table. It's a widely known effect!

airbud7, Solfaur, HandR and 3 others like this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Have the room ambient temps risen, as room temps rise, so do case temps and obviously component temps. even with watercooling all temps are linked.

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Quoting a component temperature isnt relative when the ambient is unknown. 67C in a hot sauna is great but not so in an igloo ha ha ha.
    My GPU/CPU temps vary by as much as 10c during the year as the ambient air temps rise and fall, which effects how efficiently the heat exchange takes place in the radiators and waterblock.
    Yesterday i was using Handbrake to encode some films on my gaming laptop in my office, i put the aircon to its coldest setting to stop the CPU from throttling, it did the trick nicely. :)

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    No dust here. Like I wrote earlier, I've changed case four times the past weeks and my latest case is brand new (so are the ch.fans) and I've never had dust build-up in my GPU fans since I always have cases with fan filters and dust them regularly.

Yes, it seems to be enough to unscrew the four screws close to the die.

It's winter here and the temps have not changed between November and February.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ha ha ha, im assuming you mean the room temp is the same rather than external. Maybe it is the paste then, ive WCed my CPU/GPU for the last 15 or so years so have never run normal paste.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    In my experience, not all thermal pastes react well when getting to very high temperatures as a gpu does. The good old mx-2 has usually given me the best results in this regard, as it stays relatively firm when heating up, unlike mx-4, or artic silver 5, which has a tendency to "run" when exposed to 70+ C for prolonged periods of time.

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Il need to check what i put on my 2700k, even on water its can hit over 70c (4.9/5ghz). Im not sure if i went with MX2 or MX4 on it, its probably due replacement either way.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, I meant that my ambient temps are lower now than in the summer :)

I have to check what I've got at home since I think it's Arctic Silver 5. Thanks for your tip, I had no idea about this.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'd suggest you get rid of the AS5 if that's all you have.

Ancient by now plus there are many TIMs that offer superior performance while not being capacitive.

15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is under £5 on Amazon

cryohellinc likes this.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    For me, that's the Best one.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Will do, it sure was released a long time ago.

With freight it will be quite more expensive than that but I can find it in stores here in SE for £9.

18. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
    Hello, the Arctic MX-4 worked well with my 980 Ti Gaming Golden...
    Replaced after one month, I gained 10°C and better overclock so I flashed with a modded Lightning bios.

The Prolimatech PK-3 or the old MX-2 could do the same

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I use Noctua NT-H1 or Kryonaut on GPU

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Most votes go to Kryonaut so I'll get that one.