Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 16, 2017.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The Emperor was called The Emperor so people would be surprised to see Michelle Yeoh again. Very "skillful" working around that issue.
    Also, in a universe where genocide is daily business, I'm not sure they are worried about political correctness, like using female titles.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    "Please Stand By" ... very good ST movie.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Looking for mistakes and finding them are two different things, yet am pleased you see it as a mistake. Consistently inconsistent, is the only constant DISC has.

There is a body of work that spans 50 years here, it would be inappropriate and egregious to ignore it - and that's before you consider the dialectics of character design.

Once you establish (in Star Trek) that a female Emperor is called an Empress (In a Mirror, Darkly pt II) then that's that. If you wish to subvert nomenclature, then that is fine, but it must be covered and explained as to why it has happened. In this instance, all it would need is one line by a side-character to say "She didn't want to be referred to as 'Empress' for reasons-that-are-not-important" and; you are covered.

The writers appear to incorrectly view this as a tradition more honoured in the breach than the observance.

In Star Fleet, one is allowed a seniority privilege of being referred to in or out of traditional rank, which has always echoed British Naval nomenclature (citation needed). This was established (will allow to be corrected if there are instances further back in the history of Star Trek.*) in STV S.1Ep.1:

----

JANEWAY
    Ensign, despite Star Fleet protocol, I do not like being addressed as 'Sir'.

KIM
    I'm sorry...Ma'am?

JANEWAY
    'Ma'am' is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer 'Captain'.

-------

Now, in this instance of Micheal being addressed as 'sir', that is protocol unless otherwise stated which is hasn't, so, 'sir' it is.

Agreed - but it must be established if it contravenes prior established norms, which it hasn't.

*I think there is the remote possibility that Deanna Troi was addressed or referred to as 'sir' in the episode 'Disaster' by Miles O'Brien, correcting Ensign Ro - but it's been a few years since I've seen the episode.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    airbud7 and Fox2232 like this.
  4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I can;t be bothered debating this with you but let me assure you that at no point did I say it was a mistake, and no doubt you are going to us some backwards logic to explain how I actually do consider it a mistake so let me be 100% clear I consider it strange that they opted for a non sex specific nomenclature, I find it strange that the Enterprise episode that brought about this entire alternate Universe had no issue reffering to Sato as an Empress but I do not consider the non sex specific nomenclature 'emperor' and it's usage in the recent episodes of STD to be a mistake. I do however notice that you chose to not answer the question that if all you are doing now is watching to pick holes in story plots and reference no matter how: stupid, small, insignificant or petty as they may be then why on god's green f*cking earth do you bother watching the show at all?

Sorry I seem to have missed a reference somewhere here??

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Damn, you two are Star Trek encyclopaedias lol.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I think he was referring to the losely based frame that the movie uses with a girl that tries to get her Star Trek fiction heard / read / used for production. I had to look it up too.

Feel free to add something (Psst, here's a cheaty help: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Main :) )

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Would be good to see Klingons with the augment virus on STD, since this is 10 years before TOS and Kirk only encountered Klingons with the augment virus when his journeys where on the small screen.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Apologies. I took your sentence apart regarding mistakes and reforged it. It was slightly petty, I agree.

This thread is not about why Loobyluggs is or is not watching the show, it's a discussion thread about the show - and yes, if I find mistakes (I was not looking for them) I will raise them.

I do try and give examples and comparisons, but you gotta realise that with 50+ years behind it, the lore is the law.

If you have been exposed to this lore, you will be dragged kicking and screaming out of the show every-time there are mistakes. I wouldn't wish to give an analogy, but it's no different than having Gandalf turn up in a Ferrari and playing drum and bass, with a dizzy blonde in the passenger seat...

GANDALF
    (bobbing his head to the music)
    C'mon Frodo, let's get dat bling-ring outta the shire' motha fackaaaa!

---

Seriously, it really is as bad as that.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sorry for OT, but I guess you've seen / heard of "Lord of the Weed"? German satirical dub?
    "Have you ever witnessed a 5000W bass machine?!"

Keitosha likes this.
  10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Two things:

1) Klingons have purple blood.

2) Any Klingon that would NOT of shot/attacked/killed another Klingon standing in that room addressing the high council, with basically a threat; is basically NOT a Klingon.

She wouldn't have even finished the sentence "I hold in my hand...".

Does anyone else get the feeling the entire speech at the end was...gee...I can't even finish my thoughts on that...

airbud7 likes this.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Just saw the last episode........those last 2 mins of the show. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

12. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    R1, No Klingons are red blooded, What ST series or movie did you get purple blooded from?
    R2, "I hold in my hand" (how would they know the completed sentence would not be)... a dead man switch which will destroy Kronos upon on my death or flipping this switch.

I was hoping for more details on the war with the Klingons.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pretty sure undiscovered country had the blood.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I was exaggerating. It was basically a vague threat that no Klingon would allow. You have an underground bomb that can cause a chain-reaction linked by WiFi to a hand-held device...not hard to figure out a way of stopping it.

Also, do you really think Klingons would respect something as dumb as a planet-wide kill-switch? You would be first against the wall for having absolutely no honor, and your family name would be tarnished forever.

There is no honor in it.

"DabuQlu'DI' yISuv." When threatened, fight.*

Not only did it have the blood, it was a major part of the plot and, was a major part of the plot.

You mean the speech or the other (spoiler alert) thing?

*Ancient Klingon proverb

airbud7 likes this.
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^The you know what turning up and the theme tune at the end. :D:D:D

The episode was meh at best, but that ending.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Loobyluggs likes this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You liked that? Man, it thought it was a sucker-punch that had the impact of a wet salmon - but perhaps that's just me. Y'see, when they redid the
    SFX
    of
    TOS
    they didn't detract from
    the original look of the Enterprise
    and so seeing it on television with DISC, I did call it and say they would
    mess it up.
    They
    went full-JJ.
    and it was like having someone hire me to clean up the bloodbath of my own failed assassination attempt, with full contempt.

"They didn't like the show? Oh, if we dangle
    Pre-Kirk NCC-1701
    it will be our way of silencing the nan-sayers....hahahahahaaaa"

Nope. And again, I called it.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Visuals never really bothered me in Trek, i can watch TOS with the old or new effects, whatever takes my fancy at that time, but as for this, i loved it, i am more interested in story than visuals and if i get to see more of P and E history on screen via Discovery then i am all for it, hell drop Discovery and crew and we can all board and follow the E with P and crew, and that would do me fine. ;)

Loobyluggs and lucidus like this.
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, blow up the Discovery, make Michael the E's barber and make the show about discovery with P and company :D

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    They still messed it up, and to what end? Seriously, what was the point of having it there? What plot line did it meet? What element of the story you had seen up to that point that necessitated its inclusion?

They could have done this:

INT - USS DISCOVERY - BETA WATCH

ENSIGN

Captain, we have an emergency hail from co-ordinates 123 mark ABC mark 789!

CAPTAIN

Identify signal!

ENSIGN

Garbled distress...something about warp core...it's...Captain Pike!

CAPTAIN

Confirm!

ENSIGN

Registry transmission confirmed as...constitution class...NCC-1701-

CAPTAIN

-Helm! Lay in an intercept course - maximum warp!

HELM

Aye, Cap'n. Course laid in!

CAPTAIN

-Punch it!

EXT - SPACE - USS DISCOVERY
    The ship banks and changes heading. The warp nacelles power up and Z-ZAP the ship fly's off into the distance with a BOOM. It is gone.

DISSOLVE TO - CREDITS

See, they could've done that. Not shown the thing at all. There was no reason to show what they did and I can only conclude that it was a cheap novelty item, intended to pacify Trek fans into thinking this abomination of a television show has anything to do with Star Trek in any way, other than the name.

I just wrote in less than five minutes an ending better than the one they shot. In five minutes. Five.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    airbud7 likes this.
  20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^As long as it's a good story i am up for anything.