Review: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we peek at the new Vega enabled desktop APUs (Raven Ridge) from AMD, in this review we look at the Ryzen 5 2400G with its four cores and eight threads. AMD has been going strong with th...

Review: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Not that on an APU you would probably need it badly, but I am kind of surprised you can't set the framebuffer size to 4gb out of the box...Hoping at some point to see some iGPU overclocking on one of these.

3. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    Do they even Crypto?

Seriously, seems like a nice intro budget build to PC gaming. Some pretty impressive results

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    seems like a very good deal and good product

5. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Probably not worth it seeing they have a lower amount of shaders, and even then out of the box the framebuffer size is only 1-2gb right now.

6. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Why no online games added to the review? Dota2 or CS:Go? Basically here are tested AAA titles that usually are played with dedicated graphics cards by enthusiasts.
    This kind of CPU's will buy other userbase, like You said yourself in conclusion. Then why not add those userbase games? Ofcourse AAA titles can be there for comparability.

ZXRaziel and Monchis like this.
  7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    And as answered in the 2200G thread:

Sure, I redid the IGP test suite - and figured I'd covered that question by adding GTA-V - But sure, I'll look into some online games.

8. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    You're right, it wont be a fit all solution. Certainly wont compete with even current Gen consoles. I would like to see how small of a system an engineer could create with this.

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    GPU wise both should out perform the GPU and memory speeds of the 2 base consoles. Not the updates Pro and X models. CPU wise they both are easily better.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Very impressive APU, matching low-end dGPUs and completely blowing Intel iGPUs out of the water. It's amazing to consider that 1080p gaming is now a reality with integrated graphics, and I'd gladly recommend the 2400G to anyone looking for a budget gaming system (and the 2200G isn't bad either).

From what I've seen in other reviews, it excels in Overwatch and CS:GO but is a stutterfest in PUBG. Not sure about Dota 2 but probably does well there as well.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A little disappointing that this has Summit Ridge cores with basically no fixes at all. Makes me wonder why this wasn't called a 1400g instead?

Regardless, still seems like a great product. I was not expecting the IGP to perform so well. Seems like the best option for entry-level gaming PCs at the moment.

12. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Please do! Dota2, CSGO, Overwatch, LoL would be great to see!

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Weird, AMD slides shown performance change with OC. Without, it is still great jump. For APU, I think 2GB shared base memory is OK. Anyway, OS should be able to add more, so there should be no big difference.

@Hilbert Hagedoorn : I could not find if you actually tried OC of iGPU. Maybe different MB has it available already?

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Most likely i will get hate for it but i think there is a chance those cpus will be snatched by miners also if they have the ability to pay back their cost in 6 months then why would they even consider other cpus?

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I want one! Be nice to see how far the IGP can be pushed frequency wise, but that performance is pretty killer.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    They will not be good for mining at all.

Most high end pay out crypto currency require 8gb of vram. Sure, when available in the near future you will be able to increase the vram to 8gb, but you still need to buy enough ram and even then fast enough ram considering it's shared memory. It is not fast memory either compared to gddr5 or HBM, and there are no AM4 boards with multiple PCIE slots made for mining. These are actually mining safe.

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AM4 motherboards have video ports.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Is mining intensive on memory bandwidth, or just capacity?
    Either way, I think what may actually make these appealing to miners is the cost. They may be relatively inefficient for mining but they're also significantly cheaper than CPU+dGPU combos. If there are any AM4 mining boards, these might be a very cheap alternative compared to an Intel Pentium + GTX 1030; I'm guessing Intel IGPs are left unused for mining.

Let's hope I'm wrong, though.

Anyway, even if miners do end up using this, I don't think supply will be a big worry. GPUs are an issue because you can buy a dozen (or more) of them for just 1 PC, where each of them use up a lot of RAM. Even for hardcore miners, I don't think they will put enough of a dent in the CPU/APU market to affect pricing or availability. A single serious miner might buy enough GPUs to create one of the top 1000 supercomputers in the world, but likely only enough CPUs for 1 seat per student in a typical highschool.

19. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I would like to see some comparison with lower end GPUs like for example GTX 1050 or RX560.

20. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Im sorry to bother you, but i didnt see any tests with overclocked ram, seeing as the FPS arent much different between the 2200g and 2400g i was thinking that the 2400g might be held back by the ram speed. Hence perhaps if you could do a test with overclocked ram (the flarex should oc decently no?). Naturally what you wrote in the review that the ram costs more than APU+Mobo is true and ridiculous. But it would still be very interesting just to see if its ram limitation (frequency better than timing etc., frequency bringing improvement, did the ram controller get improved etc)
    Thanks