Rumor: Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Well, for AMD, selling everything they can make is like "Yaaaaaay, money, we have money to do things, yaaaay", and for Nvidia its like "Hmmmm, there might be some more space to stash that cash in the overhead storage. Or there might be space in the basement, if thats not already full.". Nvidia's had money for some time, AMD is only just getting into the Black. They both want to innovate, and show what they can do, and will do so.
    If Ampere does come out in April, as in available on the shelves, the we should get some info in not too long about it.

2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, the only way you can guarantee a year or two of ownership without anything significantly faster on the market is to buy such cards close to when they first launch (i.e. when the architecture (Pascal) first launches) - you've done it the other way around. I think it makes sense to buy closer to the launch date of the product. (You've also bought it at a time when prices are inflated due to mining, but maybe you got a good deal somehow).

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Won't happen im afraid, as AMD are not in it anymore, they pulled out.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Would be funny if no gamers buy them if inflated prices carry over to new gen cards. If the 2070 = 1080ti, and mining perf is better, the market prices could well be over $1000. Heres hoping the bubble pops before April.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    There doesn't neccisarilly need to be like for like competition for NV to drive development forward or to keep prices down. Games companies need more and more powerful hardware to showcase their new 'next gen' games, or else people don't buy. If games don't develop in IQ and complexity then people won't upgrade. Both NV and the gaming industry observe business models based on profitability, if nobody buys new cards because current hardware is sufficient then NV lose out, if nobody buys new games because the current hardware isn't powerful enough the developer loses out.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I was wondering when these rumors would hit because nv is pretty consistent on the launches the last few years.
    The only way to really cut all the middle man mark up is to make friends at the nv store just buy directly from them.
    you know before launch it will be pre order so if ref Is good for you get on the pre order list you maybe get one at launch week.

7. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    if the 2080 is 30 % more than the 1080ti im in :) might even buy two to rock 4k at 120 hz

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Normally yes, Though i think during Pascal the Titan came out like a week or so before

9. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I'll be waiting for the reviews on these GPU's for sure, can't wait.

10. General Ritly

General Ritly Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980GTX 4Gb
    All of this wouldn't matter when the ficken miners buy everything up before the gamers can get a hold on it. I wish they can make a miner specific card with special drivers that can work well with their mining programs, but extremely bad on gaming. On the other side, the gamer cards has drivers that work with games, but extremely terrible for the mining programs. This way, Nvidia can sell to both markets without being backordered all the time and nobody can buy them. lol!

Still, I'm drooling on the idea of a 2070 being a 1080Ti. :)

Robbo9999 likes this.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    they did make miner cards, no warranty, no display ports, almost no resale value, at the price almost the same as the full gaming version. What do you think is preferred to miners? Still, due to the lack of availability, even the mining versions of cards are sold out.

12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    4 pages of people moaning about mining shees. Sure glad I don't have to deal with any of that crap. Over here cards are always in stock and prices remain unchanged and uninfluenced by mining. Since there are still obviously countries that aren't mining obsessed, you guys would be smart to try to buy from one of them.

jaggerwild likes this.
  13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Where you live?
    Its funny, as minning was developed by a person who has disappeared(he wasnt real to begin with). Yet all this speculation on it makes me laugh, I understand the need for more then fiot money.

tensai28 likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    People buying video cards to play video games... ppfffttt..

[​IMG]

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Taiwan. I don't even have to order it online if I don't want to. We have stores that sell them nearby my place. Never had any difficulty picking up any PC components here and prices have always been reasonable. I'm sure there's other countries as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Let me know how that goes when it hits the stores at current 1080Ti prices. You'll be paying £950 for a card with the same performance as one that cost most of us £700.

Silva likes this.
  17. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Great, now nVIDIA think 20 comes after 10 too, now what naming convention will they use after 90x0.

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Probably go to three digits like they have done before. And anyway, 20 does come after 10, not immediately il grant you but after all the same.

19. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Plot twist. Ampere is going to be a refresh of their ARM APU chips.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'd be surprised if nVidia compete with themselves and release Ampere or whatever it will be called in April... unless they have done the research to know they'll make more profit off of miners by selling new technology rather than keep pumping out the 1000 series.