Windows 10 mandatory for Office 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A write-up at the Windows blog reveals changes to servicing and support of Windows and Office. It mentions that Office 2019 will only be available to Windows 10, or the next long-term servicing vers...

Windows 10 mandatory for Office 2019

2. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    Grrrrr more microshaft... Upgrade or else! Screw em get open office shareware free and office compatible

rl66 likes this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Look forward to testing it out.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Why? I think it's a fair enough decision. Office 2018 will still be sold in 2020, it's a bit unrealistic to have them specifically support it then when Windows 7 has finished being supported. Microsoft is pretty much the only company that supports old software (including OS's) for so long. How often do you upgrade you phone? Do people run Android 8.1 on their phones? Considering phones are infinitely easier to support than a PC, the whole update cycle for phones is many magnitudes times worse than Microsoft not supporting an OS that costs them money to support and have been getting no revenue for a while now. If you look at the cost of the OS, the support measures that actually have to be in place for it, and compare it to ther software, or the big title computer games etc it't not actually that bad. You don't get free upgrades to the next major title game do you? Back to phones, the poor support cycle is quite literally deliberate, it forces you to upgrade. Divert your anger to them!

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    If you don't like it, you can always try LibreOffice 5 or 6 for free.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh that's just the start of what might be coming.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-ditches-windows-10-s-in-favor-of-a-new-‘s-mode’.20985/

Depending on how things go this could be a real problem for everyone on Windows 10 since S only runs UWP, not Win32 so if this becomes the default and worse if OEM's lock it to S-mode (Which it seems like they can.) then that's going to be a really big problem but we'll see how it goes I suppose, I don't like what I'm hearing but it remains to be seen what Microsoft does with this.

There's more detail in the thread itself and comments on how this works and limitations.
    I doubt Microsoft would or even could just switch Windows 10 into UWP only just like that but little by little they could shift it over and have it slowly become the new default but it remains to be seen I suppose.

EDIT: Ah it's opt-in at the moment and also not the default, that's something at least. Though it can change so who knows what things will look like in a few years from now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't understand this thing with sticking to old and aging software like Win7. Win10 works fine so I don't see the problem.

TheDeeGee and Fender178 like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Fortunately Office 2019 is not mandatory for anything.

schmidtbag, Evildead666 and RzrTrek like this.
  9. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    cryohellinc likes this.
  10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Doubt it, sure they want to make more money but they are not idiots. 99.99999% of the market works around win32, the sudden switch would make A LOT of people pissed off. We talk about not only consumer market but primarily business sector. That will hit them Very hard. That's why I don't think we will ever see a sudden switch (if ever), rather a slow evolution.

11. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    My biggest issue with office is that you cant buy it and install it for someone else without dealing with creating a burner account.

If you have ever had to do something like build 10 PCs and install office on all of them you know what a gigantic PITA this is.

Every change they have made to office requirements as of late seems to be geared towards forcing subscription and having an official MS account, this is just an additional layer of force being applied.

The days of buy it -> install it -> use it however you like are dying. How many free apps do you use that work on XP -> 10?

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Frankly, 99% of people should be using LibreOffice.
    afaik, OpenOffice is dead, with no updates. Libre Office is the fork that was done a while before Open Office went belly up.

HK-1 and schmidtbag like this.
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What version of Office are you talking about? I have Office 2016 and it asks me to either sign in with my Microsoft account OR enter the product key to install it. I have always chosen to install using the product key so I don't have to worry about signing in. Never had a problem

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    People hate change, and they don't like all the stuff that Windows 10 "forces" on you, even though most of it can either be turned off or also applies to Windows 7 (except it just doesn't tell you about it).

Despite being an advocate for open-source, I don't totally agree. There are things MS Office does better than LO, particularly when it comes to Excel or anything related to graphics. For the vast majority of people (but less than 99%) LO is plenty good enough for their needs.
    To my recollection, OpenOffice isn't dead, it's basically just a direct clone of LO, albeit always a few steps behind. Pretty much the only reason for its existence is because Oracle wants to get all the attention and credit for work they aren't doing (Oracle is always such a petty company), and for legacy reasons where people aren't aware that LO exists.

15. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    ya I agree with you, but since BG stay out pratically off in command MSFT lost your philosophy imo; still when them percept big growth of smartphones and similars devices try with W8 one big bet to dominate global market but seem until today is not true and in another hand how to make jobs with Blender, Photoshop, Autodesk and more using UWP I'm not good developer but I know that a lot of applications only works in win32 so... and everyone here know M$FT is capable after GWX is only wait to see or time speak for us ;)

16. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm still using Office 2010 with no issues.

Embra likes this.
  18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Sure, its a learning curve, but you can do it on LibreOffice.
    People have been indoctrinated to use Excel for years, and now thats all they want to use.
    Its why Microsoft soooooooooo wants to be in education, so they can get the young kids addicted to MS Office, and not know how to use anything else.

I used to be Ok with Microsoft, but over the years, it has turned me VERY sour, and I can't stand them for what they do, over and over again.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not talking about the learning curve of LO; that's no big deal to me. I'm talking about how there are features missing in LO that MSO has. There are often rendering issues. Despite being a lot less bloated than MSO, performance is sub-par. I've had a lot of headaches due to it not properly retaining object properties. For example, I change the color and coordinates of an image, and the next time I open the document the color is gone and the image is off to the side of the page. Or, there are times where I can open the same document side-by-side in both applications and one of them is distinctly longer than the other.

Don't get me wrong - I have plenty of gripes about MSO, and Microsoft in general. I'm enough anti-MS that the only thing of theirs I ever bought was a fingerprint reader, which I was using for Linux (and ironically, has better Linux support than it does in Windows). However, there's a reason MSO is the industry standard - it may be a bloated, crash-prone, overpriced mess, but it does what it's supposed to better than everyone else. For most of my needs, I use LO, but every once in a while I find myself opening Excel because I need to.

20. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    well also have one good application (free of course) that I used for long time on Linux and Windows for those that desire know more details look here:
    https://www.wps.com/office-free