Users place Surface Pro in the freezer to fix screen flicker issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    While this that is some horrid screen flicker, following some random youtubers advise and placing it in the freezer as a " fix " seems really dumb.

" Uh, Hi ! Is this Microsoft tech support? Yeah, uhrm, I threw my laptop in the freezer and the condensation ruined it.... What do you mean this voids the warranty?! "

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's the means to an end, voices that need to be heard as Microsoft is not dealing with their problem unless they pay 800 bucks for an extended out of warranty exchange.

4. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Yeah, and I do hope the users can receive help without extending their warranty. And on the surface, this does sound like planned obsolescence from Microsoft, and on the other... You placed it in the freezer.

Guess I can't blame them too much, with the flickering demonstrated the laptop was unusable and if people are desperate enough.

Back to the planned obsolescence thing, it just seems that way since the issue occurs after a year of usage and the warranty is out. Plus, the Surface laptop is clearly not meant for DIY:
    [​IMG]"Verdict: The Surface Laptop is not a laptop. It’s a glue-filled monstrosity. There is nothing about it that is upgradable or long-lasting, and it literally can’t be opened without destroying it."

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Laptop+Teardown/92915

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Wait, wait, wait... People are opening their wallets for $1500 and get only 1 year warranty for Surface Pro!?

No way I'm going to drop that kind of money ON ANYTHING (especially if it's a brand new thing) and get only 1 year warranty, no one should make purchases like that.

Kaarme and Solfaur like this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Microshaft

7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    If you shake your head from side to side in disgust at Microsoft, your head will be in sync with the screen flicker and is useable then.:p

Just wondering if it is an overheating issue then if it stops when placed in the freezer?

airbud7 and Robbo9999 like this.
  8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Reminds me of the old put the Hard drive into the freezer trick to help save a dying hard drive to get the data off of it. Sometimes it works and some times it doesn't. Makes me wonder if MS rushed out the new Surface pros in the same manner as the Xbox-360s where something they used was shotty.

9. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I'm unfortunately one of the people that has this issue on their Surface Pro 4.

I don't go as far as to put my device in the fridge, yet if I extend my device over my apartment's window for some 2 minutes (it's between 0 to 4 degrees C outside), the device temperature will go down to something like 25-30 C and the flickering does indeed stop.

airbud7 and Robbo9999 like this.
  10. The Average

The Average Guest

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    I don't know what happens beyond warranty period but when my surface pro 1 fan did some noise when at full speed, i eventually ended up getting a replacement a surface pro 3 with new type cover charger and pen (since those from surface pro 1 do not work with the 3) which works perfectly to this day.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    No way, I think most countries have a 2 year mandatory warranty. In Romania at least every electronic device has it... ridiculous if this isn't the case though.

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  12. patrickisfrench

patrickisfrench Member

GPU:
    GeForce Titan XP @ 2.1ghz
    customers purchasing with most credit cards will find their cards have extendeded warranty policies. allowing them to get 100% of the money spent for the device. especially with information on how they aren’t repairable.

recently had a 780ti die on me right after 3 years, but credit card still was giving it an extra year warranty. American Express gave me $869 dollars credit on my account 3.5 years later and I bought a 1080ti with extra money to spare. People should really look into these benefits a lot of us don’t realize we have.

as far as my thoughts on the device, I agree something of that cost shouldn’t malfunction so early. customers may possibly see a repair extension program not unlike what Apple lists for their faults on support.apple.com. the symptoms indeed look like a video chipset overhearing. i overclock and overvolt my cards often (hence the 780ti burning out) and if don’t improperly i will immediately see these artifacts that were shown in the video. further proven when temperatures are lowered the device stabilized. more than likely poor thermal dissipation or lack of airflow for the new gpu being used.

13. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    I remember reading that and was like WTF Microsoft. Pretty sad when you buy a pricey electronic that cannot be repaired.

14. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    What happens to billions of dollars QA control? Did they test stress device 24/7? For that 1500 should buy the real laptop that allows you repairs, upgradeable.

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I very much doubt this is caused by heat, since this happens on cold boot of the device. It's more likely to be a bad or dry solder connection. The freezer causes all the joints to tighten up by way of contraction. I used this before to get my friends PS3 working. Since the PS3 would often bend and twist the CPU socket and need re balling but a 20 minute placement in the freezer would work every time.

CrazY_Milojko and airbud7 like this.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, I also think this is probably soldering. All the non-plumbium solder is often quite bad, especially under consistent thermal load. Either way, this is simply a result of cheap manufacturing and giving zero f**s about the lifespan of the device.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    To me this sounds like what they did with the early Xbox360s and users with out of warranty Xboxes they had to stoot to doing things to repair them. Seems like MS didn't learn from their previous mistakes after all.

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Still dont get why ppl would buy hardware from a software company, thats not even top notch doing that job..

19. FireGate_13

FireGate_13 Member

GPU:
    Twintech 9800GT
    funny greek solution! hahahaha! we greeks find always the way;):):):):):)

20. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    It's the same here buddy: 2y warranty minimum for any kind of tech stuff, unless someone is buying some crap in local chinese shops where warranty expires same moment you left the door.

I've just checked on Amazon and it's a 1y warranty indeed, just ridiculous looking from buyers perspective.

Solfaur and airbud7 like this.