Freesync on geforce - does it really not work?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by spectatorx, Feb 1, 2018.

1. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Yesterday i was at my friend who owns asus 1080ti and samsung S24E370D, we were messing a bit with his hardware, testing various games and so on. By default, as he is using geforce gpu we had freesync disabled on his screen but in order to enable higher refreshrate (default, without freesync, is 60Hz) i enabled freesync ultimate engine which unlocks 75Hz. When monitor was still on default setting i've launched ac black flag and seen a lot of tearing but after enabling freesync i had impression, which somehow might be wrong but i'm almost sure, tearing was gone and vsync was not enabled. Maybe nvidia in drivers use other methods of sync to make it compatible with freesync. Monitor and gpu are connected via display port cable so maybe that's dp's standard adaptive sync.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I have a 144HZ FS monitor, let me check, but kind of doubt it, maybe now that it ran at higher 75HZ you saw less tearing in general..

If I play games at 70-130fps I don't see any tear either - minimal compared to old 60HZ.

slimmy427 likes this.
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    pretty sure nvidia is supporting only there gsync. even though all that is part of vesa standard now.

Nividia should went to vesa and made there gsync available to all but they were greedy

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Freesync is AMD's proprietary s/w implementation of adaptive sync running on top of VESA's eDP specification. NV won't ever support Freesync since it's not "free" and not even available as a technology anyone can use outside of AMD's PR speeches. So the answer is no, Freesync doesn't work on NV and never will.

*If* NV will at some point decide to implement their own adaptive sync solution over eDP spec then it will most definitely not be called "Freesync" as it will likely be based on NV's own mobile G-Sync implementation (also a s/w implementation on top of eDP) which has exactly zero in common with Freesync beyond the common h/w platform.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    1) FreeSync is not AMD proprietary. It is an Open technology that is part of the VESA DisplayPort specification. NVIDIA can implement it at anytime, and do so, for eDP display panels. (There is no GSync hardware in laptop panels, as it is an application of Open Adaptive Sync. It has to be enabled in the BIOS for the specific panel for the NV software to recognize it as GSync authorized (whitelisted). Visit NotebookReview.com forums for further info. Prema does some nice work for adding other panels to the authorized GSync list for those using his modded BIOS).

External monitors require GSync hardware, however.

2) Since FreeSync is part of the VESA specification, it is included in any licensing fees (if any) for DisplayPort support. So it is either free, or included in something they already pay licensing for.

3) FreeSync 2.0 is just as effective as the latest generation of GSync in performance and featureset. GSync v1 was ahead in features than FreeSync v1.

In conclusion: The only thing preventing NVIDIA from implementing FreeSync support for their video solutions is NVIDIA's greed. All the software development required is already done.

Dragam1337, yobooh and slimmy427 like this.
  6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Freesync is AMD proprietary s/w implementation which runs on an open eDP h/w standard from VESA in very much the same way as mobile G-Sync which runs on the same eDP h/w. It's in no way easier for NV to implement Freesync than for AMD to implement mobile G-Sync. Nothing more to add, go learn the basics.

7. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

Freesync/Adaptive Sync is not a mandatory part of the standard. As a result, NVidia doesn't support it - though it quite easily could. Technologically it probably isn't the better option, but the main reason is more likely than not their bottom line (which isn't unreasonable, given that's the purpose of a business).

It's my hope that VRR (HDMI 2.1) is mandatory, but I can't find anything to confirm one way or the other.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And there I thought Adaptive Sync was part of standards, and that Free Sync was a software method of using adaptive sync, embedded in AMD's drivers.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is highly unlikely since there are many HDMI devices where VRR isn't needed. It is possible though that HDMI Alliance will provide an open source s/w implementation of VRR which anyone would be able to use, contrary to Freesync which isn't available at all.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    nvm.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Correct. Part of it is hardware, which is why it's part of the DP standard.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    LOL

Incorrect. eDP has nothing to do with Freesync, it's not AMD's h/w.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This is inaccurate.

FreeSync is two parts:

1) AMD's implementation of Adaptive Sync in drivers
    2) Certification program for monitors that support Adaptive Sync

FreeSync monitors don't support "FreeSync" - they support Adaptive Sync. However, a FreeSync-certified monitor is one that was tested by AMD with Adaptive Sync.

This is what allows Korean monitors, for example, to have "FreeSync" support - they're really just Adaptive Sync monitors without necessarily any FreeSync certification. The name, however, is used as that's currently the only program on the PC side that works with Adaptive Sync.

I was able to enable FreeSync on my 2013 Korean Monitor (Qnix QX2710) by adding an HDMI extension block that includes FreeSync support using CRU.

If Nvidia were to support Adaptive Sync, "FreeSync" monitors would work instantly, as those monitors have Adaptive Sync, not "FreeSync".

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq#faq-How-are-DisplayPort-Adaptive-Sync-and-Radeon™-FreeSync-technology-different?

FreeSync allows you to use a monitor that supports Displayport Adaptive-Sync.

ms178, Dragam1337 and slimmy427 like this.
  14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There's nothing "inaccurate" in what I've said. These "two parts" are both one part which is called AMD Freesync.

15. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    :rolleyes:

Says who? It's not our job to prove you right........................................................;)

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Are you going to keep arguing back and forth with no substance to your claims whatsoever?

It's not too difficult - Nvidia not supporting "FreeSync" is not because FreeSync is an AMD standard - it's because Nvidia is so far unwilling to support the open VESA Adaptive-Sync standard. It has absolutely nothing to do with AMD and their FreeSync.

If that was your point, that's what's inaccurate / irrelevant. If you're going to be arguing semantics when the question was clearly asking about FreeSync as it is commonly referred to, that is, Adaptive-Sync, you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

For all intents and purposes, no one is asking if Nvidia supports "AMD FreeSync". Sheesh. Helpfulness = 0.

You are ultimately wasting everyone's time here. No one asked such a stupid question. Of course Nvidia won't magically grab AMD's software implementation of an open standard and support that ...

ms178, Dragam1337 and slimmy427 like this.
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    "Substance to my claim" is the fact that Freesync certification program is a part of Freesync. Or do you think that it's VESA who's doing this job for AMD?

Precisely because of that. Also because Freesync is in no way "free".

They do support it, it's how mobile G-Sync is working - just like Freesync, a s/w solution on top of that open VESA h/w standard. Which has NOTHING to do with Freesync since it's not AMD's standard, they are just using it.

But I seem to repeat myself which means that you're just incapable of understanding.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Let me repeat.

The OP is not asking about FreeSync in particular. The OP is actually asking about Adaptive Sync. Stop. Arguing. Semantics.

Again, semantics. Don't stupefy the people in here. No one is asking whether Nvidia supports "AMD FreeSync". No one. AMD just took the most popular name for a more general technology. Other examples:

Kleenex - tissue paper
    Hoover - vacuum cleaner

When someone asks if a particular floor tile would get scratched by a "hoover", you don't reply that Hoover uses rubber for their wheels - because you know what they're clearly referring to: a vacuum cleaner. And you know that other vacuum cleaner companies exist.

We are CLEARLY TALKING ABOUT DESKTOP PLATFORMS. FFS..

No, the issue is frequent with you on these forums. You love to argue semantics and get the entire point lost after it has become shockingly clear what someone is asking / discussing. Don't be anal about things and please stop wasting our time.

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't bother, I've already explained everything twice.

I'm not talking with OP at the moment, I'm talking with you and your "incorrect" statements.

There is no difference in adaptive sync eDP spec between desktop and mobile platforms.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Then please explain to me why Nvidia does not support Adaptive Sync on their desktop GPUs.