Samsung enters volume production for Cryptocoin mining ASIC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    Cant wait for this crap Cryptocoin mining fad to fail.
    That will be fun. Yes sir.

Keitosha likes this.
  3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I wish Samsung all the best for this product.AMD "gaming" GPU sales dep should be worried...

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    It will not fail until governments start to regulate and tax it. or in extreme cases: ban it.
    Bitcoin is not mined with GPU's. Neither AMD and Nvidia would be affected.

I do hope this ends soon, or I'll never be able to afford GPU's anymore.

Keitosha, AsiJu and HonoredShadow like this.

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    This might actually end up being a good thing for us , if there is a dedicated hardware for the miners , the availability of pc hardware like the graphics cards should return to normal and the prices will fall .

6. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As stated earlier, GPUs aren't used for Bitcoin mining. But even if they were, AMD already got a saving grace from Ethereum and other currencies, and did financially better than anyone expected as a result. Assuming their (and Nvidia's) claims of "gamers first" is legitimate, I think they're well aware (or ought to be, anyway) that they can't depend on lucking out like this again.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Some governments tried. Here we have tax requirement.

And I glimpsed some rumor that Zuckerberg is going to block crypto adds/info on facebook. I wonder if it makes it actually fall.
    It has almost same chance to bring in all counter-block-anything people.

Silva likes this.
  9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    AMD are going to be cashing in from Ethereum until it's switched to the proof of stake Casper system, and there's no real sign of when that will happen. There's been talk about Ethereum switching to proof of stake for over 2 years at least. It was only live in July 2015, they've been talking about a PoS system pretty much as long as it's existed. I won't believe it until it happens. And until that happens, the gaming market is absolutely fracked as every single mid to high end card instantly sells the moment it's available to a miner. As if the market wasn't already screwed enough with the high end being a monopoly.

Gather your pennies to buy an Xbox 2 boys, because you're not going to get a reasonably priced GPU ever again until Ethereum pisses off, assuming something else doesn't replace it. Or until Gandhi reincarnates to smite nVidia and AMD for screwing us all so hard. I'm pretty sure he said he'd do that should the time come.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    AsiJu likes this.
  10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Don't bet on that.

Share holders looking for short term benefits are against gamers interest:

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ceo-lisa-su-is-lukewarm-on-cryptocurrency-but-big-on-blockchain

AsiJu likes this.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I saw YouTube started showing ads about mining.

This crap is getting out of hand and will cause the world to implode.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I guess we entering the zone of "Cryptocurrency too large to fail". Too many people want it to succeed and way too much money invested into it.
    Still can fail, though.

All I can do is hope people don't go blind on profits and realize actual potential of cryptocurrency.
    Cryptocurrency giving interesting hints of what our future currency might look like. Perhaps this is the last century where we using paper cash and coins.

13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I'll wait in the wings patiently till crypto craps then it will be raining 1080Ti'S like pennies, you think Nvidia gives 2 craps about gamers? There 1080 TI'S are going for what a Titan goes for, at this point a titan isn't a bad bet.

14. Gen Techa

Gen Techa Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 1080TI SLI
    I keep seeing posts that cryptomining doesn't use graphics cards.
    Each Graphics card will mine slightly differently depending on the way it is made. This is all about how each GPU runs the ETHASH algorithm which is key to the proof of work in Ethereum. They also use different amounts of power.

15. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Who'd have thought the creation of money printing machines would lead to mayhem :(

AsiJu, fantaskarsef and Neo Cyrus like this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Except it is not too large to fail. It would be in case those cryptos were really currencies. But people mainly take them as commodity.
    Commodity value is driven by some mechanisms. And those have different strengths.

If I look at copper, it has reasonably strong use, supply is driven by demand. OIL, strong use, supply is driven by demand. Purchased for purpose of transforming into another product with added value.
    With Cryptos, there is almost no use, can be legally declared illegal at any moment in any country. Supply is not driven by demand !!! And demand is not driven by transforming crypto into another product with added value. Demand here is driven by demand itself.
    (Bought a coffee with bitcoin? Look closely on mechanism involved and all costs in place. Likely most expensive generic coffee ever.)
    Insufficient supply within existing cryptos is instead compensated by popping yet another different crypto into existence.
    (And regular add: "Get it while it is cheap.")

Cryptos have strong potential to crash to null. And more blown they are, stronger this potential gets.

AsiJu likes this.
  17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's funny how TV's Smartphones etc etc have "ECO" features, while mining is anything but ECO.

I guess Samsung throws ECO right out of the window with this one.

18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Bubble gets bigger and bigger.

We don't need paper currency, however, we need a secure form of digital currency which is based on Something tangible. Crypto isn't that.

19. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    lol, so what is?
    It seems all of you don't really get what's going. It's not about currency. It's a technology caled Blockchain and right now we already have new coins and tokens which use so called "Blockchain 4.0". Bitcoin is simply the first chain and doesn't do anything useful other than store value. We all know there are 21 million BTC. This makes it automatically a better store of value than anything physical in this world (gold).
    Go learn about all the cryptoprojects what they are all about. These aren't just to replace money, lol.

And as far as the price of GPUs is concerned: do yourself a favor, go buy any legitimate coin, hold it a month or two and voila, go buy your new GPU and start mining because proof-of-work is slowly going away, this means if you don't get in now you'll most likely miss the "GPUmining"train. Sure, there will always be some POW coins remaining, but I'm betting they won't be very profitable.

And for everyone saying this bubble will pop, lol, this thing is just getting started and is the future of basically everything you'll interact with. People laugh at BTC when it drops 30% in a day, what they fail to see is the continued growth over the years and that the drops get smaller and smaller. I mean, you something that has a 1000% growth over the year and people start FUDing over a 30% drop, ridiculous.
    The market of all Crypto right now is about 0.5Trillion $. People, that's WAY lower than what Apple worth is for example. Cryptos are massively undervalued and will only grow over the years. Mark my words.

Get in or get left behind.

Evildead666 likes this.
  20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

Neo Cyrus likes this.