The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not gonna happen.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. If they would have found a way, it would have been released already I'd say. Sadly.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Well crap.

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Just checked 1080ti prices

scan.co.uk £899
    Overclockers.co.uk £929
    novatech.co.uk £732.37 out of stock in stock 1080ti are around £900

i only paid £749 shocked at prices

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    pegasus1 likes this.

5. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Just a noob question, will this card even run on an old PC, i wanted to test one of my cards myself but i don't want to break anything since the prices of the gpus are high right now, the rig i want to test this card is on a dq67sw with an i5 2500, is an used rig i had and i want it to sell it on ebay and i want to see if everything is working, but the pci-e is 2.0 and the card says is 3.0, i know it's backwards compatible but the card is too new for this old crappy so i don't know, sorry if i sound too stupid practically i'm new on PC my last rig was that but with a HD 6970, so my knowledge is outdated.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes.
    Game load times will be a bit longer and framerate will be slightly lower but it should work fine.

Dagda likes this.
  7. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    yeah thanks, i will try it now, i just need to check if all the slots in this old mobo are working, no need to install drivers or anything

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Be sure you have a suitably powerful PSU.
    From your main system specs you seem to have a handle on this, just a reminder.

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I paid £699 on 11th March 2017 from Amazon :)

Barry J likes this.
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Same here.

I had a scare today, especially with the high prices, I thought my card might have snuffed it and its modded beyond returnability.

My PC was on all night and there was no video when I powered the monitor up.
    Windows hadnt crashed, the caps lock on the keyboard was still active.
    Powered the projector up in case it was on that, nope so powered it down.
    Tried Windows + P with arrow keys to force it into action, nope.
    Tried plugging into a different port on my monitor and checked the cable ends were fitted properly, no joy still.
    Rebooted, heard the Windows boot noise but still a black screen, not even any POST on the screen.
    Tried a complete power off/on, the same.

The fix was to power it up with the projector already on.
    There was no display for a while after windows loaded then both displays suddenly sprung into action and it works fine now.
    No idea what that was.
    I'm using 388.31 driver but this was beyond a driver issue because the POST didnt even display.
    Phew.

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Just looked online at 1080Ti prices, OCUK, Scan and Amazon, WTF they are now 150 pounds (845 - 950) more than i paid and thats for the cheapest version models. Even the 1050Ti i bought for my daughters at 139 is now 170.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Sad times.
    Hopefully this wasting electricity to produce nothing will die when regulation takes away the reasons for its success.
    The difficulty to mine has got to increase and/or the coin value drop a lot to make it not worthwhile.

The1 likes this.
  13. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Yeah, though 2018 will go on like this awful state (of prices). I too hope for mining (eth etc from gpus) hype will be lower due to decreased profit as time passes. Patience is our best ally right now.

14. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Max overclock (stock voltage) MSI GTX 1080 Ti gaming x
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You are probably close to your max but to get the real figures it needs to be tested in game.
    Try after letting Witcher 3 run for 1/2hr with maxed settings.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Most cards can hit 2050-2100 stable if you have a fiddle with the power curve.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I can't hit anymore than 2ghz. Actually it's more like 1987mhz after the thermal throttling kicks in and that's with an aggressive fan curve. I've heard about people fiddling with the power curve but I'm not sure how to go about it. Would that negatively effect temperatures?

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Apologies, I'm on water so yes thermals are not a factor. Actually adjusting the power curve helps temps as you adjust the core to hold a clock setting at less power.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Ah I kind of figured. Personally I'm not fond of the idea of mixing water with electronics so I just went with the best air cooling model I could get. I might still play around with it to get my temps down and clocks higher. Thanks.

Alright cool I just played around with it and got my OC stable at a solid 2ghz without throttling. I just set it where the voltage would drop to still be at 2ghz instead of 1987ghz. That's more core speed at no extra voltage cost. Unfortunately this means absolutely nothing for 4k gaming. Not even a 1fps increase but whatever.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  20. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I've not BIOS modded my 1080Ti SeahawkX yet as performance is pretty nice, but I do notice that there are drops in core clock to around 1940~ sometimes. I imagine this is due to it hitting the power limit, as temps stay under 50c under full load.

Now my question is, could raising the power limit negatively affect the lifespan (max overclock) over time? I'm quite happy with my 12000 memory and core clock, but I'd like to get rid of the droop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.