AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Vs Core i5-8400 Gaming Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A lot has been said and spoken on the upcoming AMD Ryzen 5 2400G as well as the 2200G. Little do we actually know about the graphics performance of these upcoming APUs. As it turns out, in a slide de...

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Vs Core i5-8400 Gaming Benchmarks

Silva likes this.
  2. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    AMD will have to compete against itself once Intel launches their CPU+Vega+HBM2 combo... although I'm pretty sure everybody knows who will win that round.

Personally what I'm aching for is the 2700U part. Where is it? Why was it launched months ago yet there's still no availability?

I'm pretty sure that Zotac would do some nice, tiny and silent HTPC boxes with the 2700U, and yet it seems that we'll see some not so tiny and silent boxed with 2400G before we see the 2700U ones.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Though I think it's pretty obvious that a 2400G would win against an 8400 (using stock clocks and their IGPs, anyway), I always take benchmarks released from the manufacturer with a grain of salt.

It is available. I know Acer has a laptop with it. That being said, the 2700U is a laptop chip. I'm guessing what you're actually looking for is the 2700G, which hasn't been released yet.
    I know Zotac has made AMD motherboards, but I don't think they've ever done anything GPU related. I wonder if they have some sort of contract detail with Nvidia (and maybe Intel), because I haven't seen any AM4 boards made by them, either. So, I don't think we're likely going to see anything with a BGA chip.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Vega M GL/GH are very different product. 1280/1536 SP is a lot more than you have here. AMD will make money by selling them to Intel. And Intel will sell that at even bigger premium.

While great for notebooks. Performance/price will not be exactly great as it will allow much greater performance in even smaller notebooks.
    Then there is intel's mobile vs AMD's mobile. in 15W AMD is actually winning unless manufacturer gimps cooling or memory controller (Lenovo!!!).

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Looks like a clear win to me in AMD's favor. I will not use such an iGPU for gaming personally, but I can easily see a Ryzen system as my next HTPC, probably saving me some money when going down that route (not to mention I could still sell the 960 in my HTPC to those pesky miners :D)

6. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

Who cares ? This ones will be also taken for mining and missing from your local dealership :D

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Imagine multisocket AM4.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Haven't seen the fruits of that yet, only scarce benchmarks that end up saying that AMD's 2700U isn't up to par mostly due to driver issues and slow single-slot RAM.
    Nope, I'm looking for the 2700U, not the 2700G (which I'm not sure will ever exist).
    My last PC to die was a Zotac with an AMD E-450. It was a slooooow m**** f***er, but it did its job for its time and at just 18W, which was perfect to use as HTPC/NAS. With the 2700U it would be possible to do several times as much with the same power envelope.
    A friend of mine got a Zotac with an AMD A4-5000 (the AQ01) and he was very satisfied with the performance/size/price ratio.
    Zotac makes quite a few mini-PCs with AMDs on them, so don't know where you are getting that they only do Intel/nVidia.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Intel could also release a top of the line NUC with the Vega combo if they wanted. Although I'm not sure if a market for such a thing exists. It would be the tiniest PC capable of some harder gaming, though.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I suppose a 2700G wouldn't exist, at least not with the way CCXs are designed. But anyway like I said, there are laptops out there with the 2700U. As for whether or not they're worth getting, I'm not sure. I've never seen any reviews of them.
    Like I said, I know Zotac makes AMD motherboards, I just never saw any that involved AMD GPUs, integrated or otherwise. In terms of discrete GPUs, to my knowledge, Zotac is strictly Nvidia.
    If you're looking to do an HTPC, the 2200G or 2200U ought to be plenty good enough. I don't really see how a 2700U would offer a performance improvement you could actually take advantage of for media purposes, so I wouldn't bother waiting for that. A 2500U ought to be able to play 4K @ 60FPS.
    All that being said, I'm not sure if there are mini PCs involving any of these chips. If you want something now, the Nvidia Jetson boards are pretty capable. I've considered getting one myself, but for my purposes I care more about the CPU performance than GPU, and mostly what you're paying for is the GPU performance.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nice results as expected. But the APUs that really matters, for me, are the mobile ones. A nice 14 inch laptop with a quad core Ryzen with a nice iGPU, 8GB of RAM and a 256 SSD and a nice price is going to be very tempting.

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    The whole idea is to eventually have only a single chip that does cpu work and gpu work which AMD is in the lead right now. Eventually APU's will be powerful enough to run 1080p @60 fps. We are getting close to this now. Still gonna personally use a dedicated GPU but i can imagine in 2020 APU's will be perfect for 1080p gaming on the cheap.

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Under the current rules that's no idea for anyone above the most casual gamer. A CPU typically lasts longer than a GPU. But of course if the mobo/chipset remained compatible longer, it would be possibly plausible to replace the CPU itself for an iGPU upgrade after a couple of years.

14. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    it would be nice if they could bring that 4000mhz memory speed to existing Ryzen cpu's but that might be cpu limitation.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    No? Damn... 5770s?

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Probably more efficient to mine gold from GPU itself.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess no luck for making those miners pay for my IT trash :D

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    For a gamer? Truest statement ever, i still can't find a single reason to upgrade from my 2700k@5ghz. If DDR4 wasnt so expensive then maybe id think about AMD but it would be just be an upgrade itch and excuse to rebuild my rig.

19. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Uhu! I'll need a laptop in advance of university studies starting this summer, and I'm eyeing some of those 8 treads, 16 ram, 512gb M.2 cookies they're supposed to come up with soon!

20. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    Now now, what if at the end we will discoverd that the system will be able to combine the IGP with a discrete GPU? :)
    DX12 allows to use AMD and Nvidia together and the previous gen AMD APUs were able to use the integrated graphic card in combo with a discrete card.
    I'm very curious about this possibility.